Frustration

gozzer

John, I still quite like Drennan float fish for the stick, even though its nothing special in most respects. I mostly buy the posh stuff for hooklengths, though I have spooled a reel with 5lb power max for tench fishing and been pleased with it.

The only disadvantage in 80's hooks is if my knots fail (i do have a matchman hook tier) then i cannot blame pretied hook lenghts.

Not paid much attention to modern hooks except they do not know what size they are selling !

My ancient mustads seem to be as fine or thick as i need,some geezer showed me a huge (to me) size 16 as thick as your arm and as big as an anchor ,its an animal he said ,i remarked he could drag in a huge animal with a hook that big !

I used to love gold plated hooks to platil but they seem scarce in shops today or was it kroik ,vagabond!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Remember the days (60's & 70's) when approval seeking, Good Anglers would tie hooks for their mates as though it was some kind of Black Art !!

Never bought any myself but I know the guys who did - especially those of which they unraveled on them.

"BIG FAT CUTTSY - AGAIN" was sometimes echoed.

Ref to one Harold Cutts R.I.P., God bless him.

gozzer prob' recalls??

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Remember the days (60's & 70's) when approval seeking, Good Anglers would tie hooks for their mates as though it was some kind of Black Art !!

Never bought any myself but I know the guys who did - especially those of which they unraveled on them.

"BIG FAT CUTTSY - AGAIN" was sometimes echoed.

Ref to one Harold Cutts R.I.P., God bless him.

gozzer prob' recalls??

I remember Harold very well Martin, always had something to say/complain about anything.

I guested on a match on the Ouse at Linton, we had a decent day because the bream showed. He was fishing a match on the opposite bank, and doing a running commentary on why they weren't catching but our side was. The following Saturday he was serving in Bob Edges shop when I went in for my bait. He was still on about the club match opposite him the week before, he saw me and asked the name of the club, and who was swearing. I said, "I don't know Harold, I couldn't hear bugger all above your shouting and moaning". The shop erupted in laughter, he went quiet, and Phillip had to serve me because he wouldn't.

I've a few tales about our encounters over the years, and I got the feeling he didn't like me that much. :D

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I remember Harold very well Martin, always had something to say/complain about anything.

I guested on a match on the Ouse at Linton, we had a decent day because the bream showed. He was fishing a match on the opposite bank, and doing a running commentary on why they weren't catching but our side was. The following Saturday he was serving in Bob Edges shop when I went in for my bait. He was still on about the club match opposite him the week before, he saw me and asked the name of the club, and who was swearing. I said, "I don't know Harold, I couldn't hear bugger all above your shouting and moaning". The shop erupted in laughter, he went quiet, and Phillip had to serve me because he wouldn't.

I've a few tales about our encounters over the years, and I got the feeling he didn't like me that much. :D

John.

Yeah John, I fished at Grimston Park' (or Ouston Farm) Taddy next peg to my Dad. I was only about 15 or 16 at the time & Harold was fishing the opposite bank & dead opposite us.

Moaned & swore all day (apologising everytime to my Dad because I was there) I'm approaching 62 now.

Good Lad in there somewhere!! - Harold I mean!! :bye1:

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the title of the thread is how I would describe my visit to the river yesterday. After the minnow marathons that I had in my last few visits, this time I was prepared. I would try a hemp and caster approach, with a few maggots as back up. The weather forecast was almost perfect, mild with a 'moderate' breeze from the south west. After a few days with a slight frost, I thought the roach would play ball. The river was a little on the low side, and pretty clear, not good! I put a few casters and hemp in while I tackled up, and a few more while I had a bacon and egg sandwich, and a coffee, as I left home without breakfast. Caster on the hook and the first cast, the float sailed away in a very roachy manner, a minnow! Same second, third, fourth, and so on. Changing depth gradually from 9ft up to 2ft, minnows, double caster, minnows, hemp more minnows! Feeding two lines, hoping to concentrate them on one, while fishing the other, more minnows. I changed swims a few times, minnows every cast. Legered bread, produced a load of little taps, until the bread had gone. I even deep hooked a minnow, and it bled as I tried to unhook it, I threw the dead minnow back, to see it attacked by minnows, like a shoal of piranha. I thought 'sod it' and threw a few red maggots in, and got a decent dace, then a half dozen minnows and another dace, so thought I'd just fish through them. Then I hit something that tore off towards the willow to my left, then under my bank, then succeeded in getting into the willow on my right, and the hook length went. I went back to catching about 10/15 minnows then a dace, until I hooked another decent fish that tried for the willows, not as heavy as the first, a perch about 12oz. I put a minnow on heavier tackle and trotted it down the swim, nothing. Back to the 15 to 1 minnow dace exchange rate, another perch about the same size, and then back to the minnow/dace thing. I had hopes as it clouded over and got dark early, but by then the dace had stopped, and it was only minnows!

I've had days before when minnows were a problem, but never seen anything like this. Some of the minnows were 'big', in fact I thought they were small dace when first hooked. I don't know if there's a mini record for a minnow, but some I had would be close, one even swallowed 3 maggots on a 14! I think I will leave that place until after a few frosts have deterred the minnows a bit.

On another note, what's happened to Dinsmores super soft shot? I've used it for years, and was using some old stuff, but noticed I was low on No6s, I bought some new and it was anything but soft, and even when squeezed on, still came off after a while. Does anyone else use it, or did I just get a bad batch?

John.

• Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

River fishing is great ,i miss the slow rivers like the medway i fished in the 60's all i have now is the wey which is really a fat stream here ,you creep along the bits i have permission on poke out the rod and catch hopefully ,once its landed the rest are spooked so you move upstrean and repeat ,no need for a seat if you dont get a take with 2 or 3 passes you wont.

The spoiler is the bloody trout they love bread and beat the few chub to it if they are there!

Brings back fond memories the medway ,me and a mate (yes even i had one once) tried further upstream than our favourite place by reeds paper mills and soon found our 6ft keepnets didnt even get to the water the bank was so high we had to remove the strap from our creels and hang the net off them lol,happy days

As to the shot i dont know mine is so old the lables have gone and i recycle the stuff i use ,hopefully i wont need to buy hard soft shot

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

All,

As Steve Walker suggests - Ohh wait, you will hardly ever catch dinks on a 12mm carp boilie.

Your session would drive me insane (er). My compliments on staying with it.

Phone