Frustration

gozzer

Maybe hemp & tares - or a big fat lobworm?

I tried to get tares Steve, but couldn't, and I was told that there were very few perch showing, so didn't bother with worm. (so much for local knowledge). I've never seen anything like it, the minnows were everywhere. If I do make it back there, then lobs will definitely be on the menu.

Another thing that happened was when I got back to the car, I couldn't find my mobile. I unloaded my gear and went through it, I retraced my steps back to my swim, in what was now almost total darkness. I resigned myself to coming back early the following morning to have another look. When I got back into the car, I dropped my keys at my feet, and yes, there was my phone under my seat! It must have dropped out of my pocket when I first got in.

I rang my wife to say I was on my way home, and told her about the missing phone. Her reply was, "Would it help if I rang you, at least you'd know if it was in, or near the car". There was a long pause and then she said sheepishly, "Your on your phone now, aren't you, whoops".

John.

• Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

On another note, what's happened to Dinsmores super soft shot? I've used it for years, and was using some old stuff, but noticed I was low on No6s, I bought some new and it was anything but soft, and even when squeezed on, still came off after a while. Does anyone else use it, or did I just get a bad batch?

John.

I always used to favour "Anchor" shot, but nobody stocks it around here now, and "Dinsmore" is the next best thing. I like soft shot because I squeeze it on GENTLY with forceps. Apply too much force and there is a serious risk of weakening your line. It means I can readily remove shot with a thumbnail - good for changing rigs, and for recycling your shot many times (I also use float rubbers top and bottom so I can change floats quickly) The only disadvantage with lightly-pinched-on shot is that a big fish will stretch your nylon - and stretched nylon is thinned nylon, and some of the shot may drop off as a result. Hopefully, if one hooks a carp whilst roach fishing, one hopes the hook will straighten instead, saving shot and valuable fishing time. It is easier to renew a hook than a string of shot.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

All,

As Steve Walker suggests - Ohh wait, you will hardly ever catch dinks on a 12mm carp boilie.

Your session would drive me insane (er). My compliments on staying with it.

Phone

I've never and will never use a boilie Phone.

Although it was frustrating, it was also a challenge to try and figure it out. I find that much more interesting than sitting behind a rod, or multiple rods, waiting for something to happen. It's the old style match angler in me, I've got to be doing something, trying different things. That's why I prefer to float fish, more than any other method. The casting in and then sitting back, reading a book, while the rods fish themselves, are the things that would drive me insane. I can relax and read in the comfort of my home, I go to the waterside to fish.

As to the size of the fish, it's relative to the water, and the tackle used, I was using hooks sized 14 down to a 20, and hook lengths 1lb to 2lb bs, and although I didn't get anything big, the perch put a decent bend in the match rod.

Someone on here said something about it not being about the destination, but the journey. Do you remember who? :D

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I always used to favour "Anchor" shot, but nobody stocks it around here now, and "Dinsmore" is the next best thing. I like soft shot because I squeeze it on GENTLY with forceps. Apply too much force and there is a serious risk of weakening your line. It means I can readily remove shot with a thumbnail - good for changing rigs, and for recycling your shot many times (I also use float rubbers top and bottom so I can change floats quickly) The only disadvantage with lightly-pinched-on shot is that a big fish will stretch your nylon - and stretched nylon is thinned nylon, and some of the shot may drop off as a result. Hopefully, if one hooks a carp whilst roach fishing, one hopes the hook will straighten instead, saving shot and valuable fishing time. It is easier to renew a hook than a string of shot.

I've used Dinsmores for years Dave, and never had a problem, the new stuff I bought, just didn't compare. I have a pair of plastic shot pliers, with cut outs to match different shot sizes, they prevent me using too much force. I really struggled to close the shot, especially the No6 shot. I got about one in six to stay put, then when I opened it to adjust the shotting, it either wouldn't close again, or closed very loosely, and it was back to trying another half dozen. I can see me having to use several No8s in place of the No6s, if I don't find a better make.

I agree totally with the fine wire hooks when there's a good chance of hooking a carp.

John.

Hi John, you could try these - Stotz apparently these SUPER STOTZ are better than the old ones??

I've used Dinsmores for years Dave, and never had a problem, the new stuff I bought, just didn't compare. I have a pair of plastic shot pliers, with cut outs to match different shot sizes, they prevent me using too much force. I really struggled to close the shot, especially the No6 shot. I got about one in six to stay put, then when I opened it to adjust the shotting, it either wouldn't close again, or closed very loosely, and it was back to trying another half dozen. I can see me having to use several No8s in place of the No6s, if I don't find a better make.

I agree totally with the fine wire hooks when there's a good chance of hooking a carp.

John.

Should be able to get away with shot pliers or might need the Stotz ones?? (which are really just plain small tongs)

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

All,

I believe it was Martin who mentioned "back in the day" the rage for having a "real angler" tie rigs. Today, (well, 5 yrs ago) everyone who was anyone had to have an chemistry alchemist at his disposal to cast shot.

Gozzer. I've only used boilies half a dozen times I suspect and that was because they were "new" to me. We had little to compare with your match style angling. Even in the 50's serious fishermen had a boat. I fished much as you suggest but I was far more likely to change venues than become frustrated with "thieves". You know, for all practical purposes I carp fish much like you describe you enjoying. I can't remember the last time I left a bait in the same place more than 10 - 15 minutes; I hardly ever "float fished" but rather "touch" fished. Prior to before I became "enlightened" I was a catch anything fisherman. Available bait sorta kinda determined what I thought I might catch.

Phone

All,

Steve, As usual when government is involved - yes and no.

In 2012 lead bullets and lead fishing gear (like sinkers and jig heads) were banned.

It takes effect in 2022, giving hunters, anglers, and the industry time to adapt.

Now, 2016, just to irritate tree huggers, Donald Trump Is Likely to Lift Curb on Lead Bullets (shot) at Wildlife Refuges

As for lead, fishing and hunting are legislatively tied together.

Anglers and their political organizations FAVOR banning lead.

So - few companies, if any(?) offer lead shot for sale. (Shotgun or fishing - but still lead bullets for game hunting)

Phone - You did ask!!

Hi John, you could try these - Stotz apparently these SUPER STOTZ are better than the old ones??

Should be able to get away with shot pliers or might need the Stotz ones?? (which are really just plain small tongs)

I'm not too sure about the shape of them Martin, and I'm assuming that they are the equivalent in size and weight to ordinary round shot. You did however get me to look at the other Preston shot, and liked the sound of their round shot. Has anyone tried it, if so what do they think. If I can find it I'll get some No6s anyway, and see what they're like.

https://www.prestoninnovations.com/en/products/non-toxic-shot

John.