Frustration

gozzer

I'm going fishing tomorrow, so I called for my bait this morning. On the way back, I called into Go Outdoors to have a look round. I found the anchor double cut, and picked up a set of avon floats, then I saw the sale section, and picked up a few more bits. I also picked up a medium feeder rod, not a great name, Ron Thompson, but for £12-99, I wasn't leaving it. The rod rings would cost me more than that!

I'll give it a trial tomorrow, and see if the chub want to play.

John.

Well done John, sounds like you got sorted out with some handy bits of tackle. Go outdoors can be a good place to get tackle from now and again and has stuff many of the dedicated angling shops don't have.

That rod, blimey that was cheap! I hope it performs as you want it to, i'm sure it will :).

Several years ago I fished a small river over in Yorkshire with a m8 of mine, it was seriously cold and he wrapped up the trotting gear and set up a Ron Tompson quiver rod. He had loads of trout and grayling whilst using it.

Looking forward to your results with it...good luck!

I got fishing for 10 this morning, didn't have a bite until 12, the combination of an over night frost, and bright sunlight did that. First fish a dace, then catching steadily for a couple of hours, then a lull, so out with the feeder rod and worm, not a touch. Back to the dace and found that they wanted it at full depth, held back hard, and double red maggot, only minnows on caster! this continued most of the day, dace to around 8oz, with a chub of about 12oz, and a surprise grayling about 8oz. As the light started to fade I packed up the float rod, (although I was still catching), and cast out the new tip rod with 3 dendras on a size 6, and cast downstream of the feed area. A few minutes later the tip moved slightly and I stuck into a heavier fish. A perch that went 2lb 12oz on my old scales that I haven't used for years. It seemed heavier, so I'm going to check my scales in the morning. I took a couple of pictures, and will post when I sort out how to do it. (I've tried a few times but not succeeded). I had another perch of about 1lb on the bomb before I packed up completely. When I lifted my net to empty the dace out, I was surprised how heavy it was, it was well into double figures, so I was pleased with the session. The new rod performed well, a little softer action than I imagined, but cast well, and crisp enough on the strike, pleased with it so far.

John.

• Like 2

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Good shout re the rod John - softer = less bump offs.

Maybe not ideal in a Barbel 'ole though?? :g:

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Good shout re the rod John - softer = less bump offs.

Maybe not ideal in a Barbel 'ole though?? :g:

I don't have access to any water that is throwing up double figure barbel Martin, so I think it would handle the smaller fish.

I tested my scales and found that they were weighing a few ounces under, so I'm on the look out for some new decent, compact, scales.

It's the biggest perch I've had for about 20yrs, so although it would have been nice to call it 3lb, I'm happy to stick with the 2lb 12oz.

John.

PS Still haven't been able to post a picture, it took a few goes to even post a comment, but I will keep trying when I have the time.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

s-l300.jpgmine's the black one on the Left - paid bout £15 6 or 8 yr' ago weighs down to the Ounce/Gram. (45 Kg in 10 Gram increments) Not Branded!!

I don't have access to any water that is throwing up double figure barbel Martin, so I think it would handle the smaller fish.

I tested my scales and found that they were weighing a few ounces under, so I'm on the look out for some new decent, compact, scales.

It's the biggest perch I've had for about 20yrs, so although it would have been nice to call it 3lb, I'm happy to stick with the 2lb 12oz.

John.

PS Still haven't been able to post a picture, it took a few goes to even post a comment, but I will keep trying when I have the time.

Just use it for weighing the cases though. Google "Portable Electronic Scale" - Sorry It's all mixed up with your post - Bleedin' Editing!!!

Edited by Martin56

The scales set to Zero at the press of a button so Zero can be set with a weigh/Landing net top on or just a carrier bag.

Weighs in Pounds & Ounces or Kg / 10 Grams. (Bag of crisps weighs 25 g typically)

Good thing about the Metric system is that 1 Litre of water = 1 Kg, so to calibrate - Weigh something of a known weight from the supermarket with minimum packaging (e.g. Bag of sugar) Job done for Metric And Imperial.

A 64 g (contents) pack of Poppadoms weighed 70 g with the packaging (Just tried it) so very accurate for small fish AND Suitcases alike.

More than good enough for the price IMO. Takes just 2 AAA Batteries.

I bought the scales from Tackle2U shop in Outwood near me Tele' 01924 835443 (opposite Tesco Express)

Say Martin sent you - they know me.

Edited by Martin56
  • Like 1

Size is Palm of hand, Bleeps when buttons are pressed + has a low battery warning.

That's the type I'm after Martin, will look into it, Thanks

John.

Keep pressing the unit button & when in Imperial, moves from Lb's & oz's to Ounces only if required.

The JIN, middle option?? (Lock icon appears top of screen) seems to stop at the optimum weight. (Just noticed that - looks useful) That's what it did when I pulled on the hook in that mode then let go!!

Edited by Martin56

Posting photo's can be a problem IF the file is too big.

Guessing there in your "My Pictures" on your computer?? If so try this ....

Right click on the pic' & select "Open With" then click "Microsoft office picture Manager" then click Edit pictures on the top tool bar.

Then select documents (2nd one down in the bullet list)

Then click "Compress" Then save.

The file will then be small enough to post on here without discernable loss of quality.

Good Luck, & will talk you through it again if I've got the sequence wrong or missed a step??

Dead easy when you've done it a time or 3 lol.

Edited by Martin56