Frustration

gozzer

John, I just use plain faced shot pliers (1970's aluminium type) but also use artery forceps for same (curved forceps are more versatile & both double as a disgorger)

I've used Dinsmores for years Dave, and never had a problem, the new stuff I bought, just didn't compare. I have a pair of plastic shot pliers, with cut outs to match different shot sizes, they prevent me using too much force. I really struggled to close the shot, especially the No6 shot. I got about one in six to stay put, then when I opened it to adjust the shotting, it either wouldn't close again, or closed very loosely, and it was back to trying another half dozen. I can see me having to use several No8s in place of the No6s, if I don't find a better make.

I agree totally with the fine wire hooks when there's a good chance of hooking a carp.

John.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Phone - it was banned here for anglers 31 years ago. Shooters are still fending it off, which seems bizarre given that I only used to go through as much shot as a cartridge or two a year, but coarse fishing is a predominately working class hobby, so...

All,

Steve, Somewhere in that mix - and I can't remember if it was the US or Euro/England. What I 'm having difficulty getting to is this. The size of the lead had something to do with its use. We could use 1/2oz or 1oz but nothing little. Was that you? or was it a regulation in some of our states independent of federal law?

I quoted you federal law. But the reality is we have 51 sets of fishing and hunting regulations. Each state can enact laws that are more restrictive than federal law. I've no clue how states sort out on the lead issue.

We don't have much lead going into the water anymore - how's that?

Phone

All,

Steve, Somewhere in that mix - and I can't remember if it was the US or Euro/England. What I 'm having difficulty getting to is this. The size of the lead had something to do with its use. We could use 1/2oz or 1oz but nothing little. Was that you? or was it a regulation in some of our states independent of federal law?

I quoted you federal law. But the reality is we have 51 sets of fishing and hunting regulations. Each state can enact laws that are more restrictive than federal law. I've no clue how states sort out on the lead issue.

Phone

Because you probably dont use shot as small as we do or tell lies ,our ban came into force as dirty swans kept getting (or we were led to believe they were) poisoned by lead shot in the gizzard so we had to get rid of perfectly good stuff and buy inferior fake lead .

IMHO theres to many swans ,they do nothing and we cant eat them so lead should be reintroduced to thin the things out and hopefully crayfish will get a taste for lead and quickly follow.

Lead (fake) sizes

https://www.anglingtimes.co.uk/advice/tackle/articles/shot-conversion-chart

Going by a quick google your smallest weight would be able to sink completely most pole floats here lol

FYO real lead weights would have been far smaller in size ,i have a box of pole lead and i cannot pick up or see without glasses the cut to put them on the line!

Your crude non dink fishing should get some finesse! ,we use craft our fish dont just jump out to be caught

Your fish

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tLmJjRqXDCo

Our fish (we presume we have them) only dinks in this pond although theres a handfull of carp and these guys do blank when the fish dont want to play and most i expect will have been caught before and fish dont have a 3 second memory?

https://www.farnhamanglingsociety.com/news-articles/video-Farnham-Angling-Society-Stockbridge-Pond-General-Coarse-Fishery-Cyprypro.php

PS why so many flags in america ,pride? Or trying to remember where you are ?

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

All,

Phone

We have a range of lead sizes we aren't allowed to use - number 6 shot up to 1oz. Anything larger or smaller is legal, but that covers most of what we use.

Chesters1,

Sorry, I failed to answer a fair enough question. You see a lot of flags in the colonies because most of us can't read.

Someday I'm gonna put Gozzer onto those jumping CARP. They've killed more than one fisherman trying to get into the boat.

Phone

Great hear your out on thebank again John!

Regarding your gear, line, hooks etc. Have you tried daiwa sensor? You can get it in bulk spools for as cheap as 7 or 8 notes so great value and imo it along with perlon are still the best lines out there. Personally I don't bother with a hooklength unless nothing obliges and I just fish srtraight through with 4 or 6lb and for the biggest part use a 14s animal or drennan super spade. That set up catches me pretty much everything from minnows to salmon. The best shot i've come across are anchor double cut which you can use over and over.

If you have a Go oudoors near to you they sell the anchor shot and have a number of other bits in at reasnable prices, they even have some ok floats!

• Like 1

Great hear your out on thebank again John!

Regarding your gear, line, hooks etc. Have you tried daiwa sensor? You can get it in bulk spools for as cheap as 7 or 8 notes so great value and imo it along with perlon are still the best lines out there. Personally I don't bother with a hooklength unless nothing obliges and I just fish srtraight through with 4 or 6lb and for the biggest part use a 14s animal or drennan super spade. That set up catches me pretty much everything from minnows to salmon. The best shot i've come across are anchor double cut which you can use over and over.

If you have a Go oudoors near to you they sell the anchor shot and have a number of other bits in at reasnable prices, they even have some ok floats!

Thanks Ian, it's been good to get back on the bank. I've got diawa on my leger reels, not bought the bulk spools yet though. I'm limited as to where I can fish at the moment, there aren't many day ticket stretches of river that I know, and I'm not buying a year book just for a couple of months. I will invest in a year book from one of the local clubs at the end of the year. I prefer to use a lighter hook length, I suppose it's what I'm used to, and old habits die hard.

There is a Go Outdoors near the tackle shop I've started to use, so I will have a look in the next time I'm over there.

The fishing is on hold for the moment, my daughter is buying her first house, and I've been roped in to help with the jobs that need doing. I was plastering the other day, and now I'm laying ceramic floor tiles in the kitchen, then only the bathroom to tile, some painting, finish moving her stuff from the other house, a bit of gardening, and any other jobs she thinks of, and I'll be free to have another day on the river. I'm hoping the roach start to show soon, it seems ages since I had any decent roach.

John.

• Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

John, if the weather round your parts is the same as the weather round these parts then your probanly better off doing those jobs. We have heavy rain forecast from anytime now until mid morning on Sunday!

Wierd though, because it hammered down yesterday as I got back to the car from the river and yet the river levels are low?....very strange.

John, if the weather round your parts is the same as the weather round these parts then your probanly better off doing those jobs. We have heavy rain forecast from anytime now until mid morning on Sunday!

Wierd though, because it hammered down yesterday as I got back to the car from the river and yet the river levels are low?....very strange.

I'm not sure whether being indoors, crawling about on my knees, tiling, is better than being on the bank, whatever the weather. :D

The Ribble has risen a bit since your post Ian,

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/5119?direction=u

ours will be catching up soon.

The swims that I've been fishing recently, always used to fish better with 2 or 3 feet of extra water in, being on the inside of a large bend.

Anyway, it's all academic at the moment, I can't see me being free to go until next Thursday or Friday at the earliest.

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John