Frustration

gozzer

I had another trip to the Wharfe yesterday, it was touch and go with the weather. I'm glad I went though, even if it was a 12-0-clock start. I found the most sheltered swim I could find, and battened down under my brolly. I started, as usual with a few minnows, but after some playing about with the shotting, found the dace taking on the drop, mid river. There were a few in the 6 to 8oz range, and I ended up with around 10/12lb of them and a decent perch. I would have had more were it not for the wind. I wanted to fish lighter but needed a bit of weight to cast, and control the float. I even got them swirling just under the surface, before increasing my feed to get them to drop down a bit. I had a quiet spell mid afternoon, when the dace scattered, and a swirl just under the surface meant either a pike, or large perch had found the shoal.

I felt more satisfied this time, because when I 'lost' the shoal, I mostly made the right changes to start catching again. I just need to get my old rhythm going again, it's not there yet, but I feel I'm slowly improving.

John.

• Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Sounds like you had a enjoyable session John, I had a nasty biting wind blowing on me yesterday, didn't really bother my fishing but it felt really cold and it was the reason I pcked in when I did, I waa dithering with cold!

• Like 1

Sounds like you had a enjoyable session John, I had a nasty biting wind blowing on me yesterday, didn't really bother my fishing but it felt really cold and it was the reason I pcked in when I did, I waa dithering with cold!

If I hadn't have been behind my brolly, then I would have been shivering too Ian. The weatherman said 11 or 12 degrees, but it was a lot colder than that.

I did enjoy myself, although there were no big fish. This is the longest time I've gone without fishing since I was in my teens, and it shows. All the stuff learned over nearly 60 years, is still in my head, but putting it into practice isn't as easy as I thought it would be. At one time, if a method wasn't working, then I felt confident making a change, and would make one automatically. I have to think about it a lot more now, whether it's the right one, or even whether to make a change at all. I felt more confident yesterday than I did the other times.

I'm concentrating on dace at the moment because on this stretch they can be very finicky, but, I heard a whisper that there's a stretch of river where some very good roach are starting to show, and if I get the chance, that will be my next challenge.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Can't help being a bit rusty after a lay off.

Funny you say how you have to think about stuff after your lay off. Because nearly all my fishing for the last 13yrs has been trotting, when I took the leger rods i'd forgotton how to set up lol. Well, like you I had to think about it rather than just throw it all together quick. Actually remembering what to take with me was the worst bit.

Can't help being a bit rusty after a lay off.

Funny you say how you have to think about stuff after your lay off. Because nearly all my fishing for the last 13yrs has been trotting, when I took the leger rods i'd forgotton how to set up lol. Well, like you I had to think about it rather than just throw it all together quick. Actually remembering what to take with me was the worst bit.

Hi Tigger, I've found that Quick Change Beads below the bomb/feeder make things much easier than years ago.

The integral plastic hook to attach the hook link rather than loop to loop.

There's Loads of makes, sizes.& colours - Black,Green, Brown etc.

They all attach same.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjEqufE6aLeAhVtk-0KHSvAC6gYABAJGgJkZw&ohost=www.google.co.uk&cid=CAESEeD28t90Fdivltj11tvEyYjd&sig=AOD64_1ntz_DC_2uJh1vEY8WJC_82O55hw&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwiN6-LE6aLeAhXEfMAKHWnMBnQQ9aACCDg&adurl=

Edited by Martin56
  • Like 1

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

• Like 2

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

Hi Tigger, I've found that Quick Change Beads below the bomb/feeder make things much easier than years ago.

The integral plastic hook to attach the hook link rather than loop to loop.

There's Loads of makes, sizes.& colours - Black,Green, Brown etc.

They all attach same.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjEqufE6aLeAhVtk-0KHSvAC6gYABAJGgJkZw&ohost=www.google.co.uk&cid=CAESEeD28t90Fdivltj11tvEyYjd&sig=AOD64_1ntz_DC_2uJh1vEY8WJC_82O55hw&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwiN6-LE6aLeAhXEfMAKHWnMBnQQ9aACCDg&adurl=

Thanks Martin, I have used those and still have most of the pack left.

I think they where great for lighter legering but I think they broken somehow when I used them on the river for barbel.

I prefer to use swivels for attatching line and tie a uni for strength.

• Like 1

Worth a go, suits me, but everyone is different , they might not suit you.

Angling direct offer free delivery for orders over £9,

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

I'm with Tigger on this one. I'll either tie the hook length onto the swivel, or for lighter fishing, use a loop on the hook length and pass loop through swivel, then hook through loop, to form a 'larks head'.

John.