Frustration

gozzer

I'm with Tigger on this one. I'll either tie the hook length onto the swivel, or for lighter fishing, use a loop on the hook length and pass loop through swivel, then hook through loop, to form a 'larks head'.

John.

Never heard it called a larks head :).

If going lighter I often just use a loop to loop, a four turn water knot or even a uni to uin. Sometimes I use a micro swivel and make the hooklength the length so as the swivel becomes my dropper shot....if you get my meaning :).

Never heard it called a larks head :).

If going lighter I often just use a loop to loop, a four turn water knot or even a uni to uin. Sometimes I use a micro swivel and make the hooklength the length so as the swivel becomes my dropper shot....if you get my meaning :).

There you go Ian,

http://www.lovetheoutdoors.com/sports-knots/Sport-Fishing-Knots/Lark-s-Head-Knot.html

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I have never heard it called a "lark's head" either, but have been using it for years for attaching peacock quill bottom only (and long before the term "waggler" was invented) Just a nylon loop whipped to the bottom of the peacock. if a wind sprang up whilst using a top-and-bottom porc, then off comes the porcupine (held by two valve rubber slices which get left on the line), On goes the peacock by this "lark's head", knot, adjust the shotting, and you quickly have the sunken line set-up to the float to beat the wind. You have to remember to recover the two valve rubber slices at the end of the session and pop them back on the porc.

The picture does look a bit clumsy for attaching a small hook though - how do you thread a loop through the eye of (say) a #18 ? The grinner (aka uni) is quick and easy enough. John has the better idea of attaching via swivel and hook length

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I'm pretty sure this has been posted on here before, but Animated fishing knots shows step by step AND at your own pace how to tie just about every knot you'll ever need. Even tells the purpose of each one in the text box by hovering over each one.

Click on the knot you want to tie & the fun begins...........

https://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Great hear your out on thebank again John!

Regarding your gear, line, hooks etc. Have you tried daiwa sensor? You can get it in bulk spools for as cheap as 7 or 8 notes so great value and imo it along with perlon are still the best lines out there. Personally I don't bother with a hooklength unless nothing obliges and I just fish srtraight through with 4 or 6lb and for the biggest part use a 14s animal or drennan super spade. That set up catches me pretty much everything from minnows to salmon. The best shot i've come across are anchor double cut which you can use over and over.

If you have a Go oudoors near to you they sell the anchor shot and have a number of other bits in at reasnable prices, they even have some ok floats!

I'm going fishing tomorrow, so I called for my bait this morning. On the way back, I called into Go Outdoors to have a look round. I found the anchor double cut, and picked up a set of avon floats, then I saw the sale section, and picked up a few more bits. I also picked up a medium feeder rod, not a great name, Ron Thompson, but for £12-99, I wasn't leaving it. The rod rings would cost me more than that!

I'll give it a trial tomorrow, and see if the chub want to play.

John.

• Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I'm going fishing tomorrow, so I called for my bait this morning. On the way back, I called into Go Outdoors to have a look round. I found the anchor double cut, and picked up a set of avon floats, then I saw the sale section, and picked up a few more bits. I also picked up a medium feeder rod, not a great name, Ron Thompson, but for £12-99, I wasn't leaving it. The rod rings would cost me more than that!

I'll give it a trial tomorrow, and see if the chub want to play.

John.

Hi John, rod looks a nice bit of kit for the money - is it the 10 foot or 12?? (Both same price)

Hi John, rod looks a nice bit of kit for the money - is it the 10 foot or 12?? (Both same price)

It's the 12 foot Martin, with 2 quiver tips.

John.

It's the 12 foot Martin, with 2 quiver tips.

John.

Bargain John, can't be doing with all that Normark & other sh**e.

OK They are nice rods to own, but shouldn't be frightened to use 'cos of the worth??

Edited by Martin56

Bargain John, can't be doing with all that Normark & other sh**e.

OK They are nice rods to own, but shouldn't be frightened to use 'cos of the worth??

I'll find out how it performs tomorrow, if the fish will play ball.

I said in another thread, that I don't look for tackle that will last me 20 yrs, because I'm not sure that I will.

John.

• Like 1

I'll find out how it performs tomorrow, if the fish will play ball.

I said in another thread, that I don't look for tackle that will last me 20 yrs, because I'm not sure that I will.

John.

Best of luck tom' mate & don't forget to take some Crust!!!