Reservoir zander

The Flying Tench

Glad to hear you had a good day John, it's always nice when you succeed at a new form of fishing.

Also a big well done to Rich, Stephen, and Andrew for helping to make the day such a success. :thumbs:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Excellent, I'm delighted that the trip was a success!

I must admit, the first time I tried it, I didn't really get the attraction, but it's actually much more subtle than it first appears. First time neither of us in the boat really knew what we were doing and we caught some fish that pretty much hung themselves. Second time was with Anderoo and again after that with Rich. Hitting those really subtle bites is very satisfying!

• 7 months later...

I must admit, the first time I tried it, I didn't really get the attraction

Wash your mouth out ;)

I had a blast again last autumn. Two very notable results for me personally, one was a PB from Grafham, right at the end of a long day where it was the only bite of the day. We were perch fishing really and I had no idea what it was until it was in the net, and had me properly shaking for the first time in years.

The second was even better, a gentle take over deep water at Rutland and a very heavy, ponderous fight. Eventually I landed a very nice 10ft #7 Greys trout rod together with a reel and line, which some unfortunate fly angler had dropped over the side. It was in a right state, covered in mud, slime and mussels and the reel was a write-off. But I cleaned up the rod and it's as good as new, and as luck would have it absolutely perfect for the spring Farmoor bank fishing. :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music