dink fishing

Phone

Its all about balance ,fat body at top is more stable in running or choppy water ,thin on top much more sensitive to shy bites.

Then theres the shot ,if you had all the shot (say the water is 3 feet deep and your after fish feeding on the bottom) if you put you shot in the two feet below the float then a fish could easily move the bait up and down or to the side some distance and it may never show looking at the float ,if you bung all the shot on the bottom foot then the fish may drop the bait as it feels the weights and it may never show on the float.

If your fishing a river after bottom fish you need the weight on the bottom so the bait trundles along it ,if your after mid or top feeding fish the wait is more to the top and if you gently slow the line coming off the reel as it goes downstream the bait will rise in the water then sink slowly covering more depth .

You have opened a can of worms mr bush stick with the dog!

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Phone, you have to cut it back to where its thick enough to bore a hole in it.

Or you could do it the traditional way and whip on a wire loop.

I had some quills which had a loop made from very "Thick" mono, whipped on with nylon thread.

Wire is as good though. (maybe single strand copper electrical)

Leave the wire loop round but lightly flatten the prongs to be whipped.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

All,

Steve, you want me to "cut the quill?" So once modified it can be only a black out of the water or a white out of the water. I'm OK with that but I thought it was some sort of blasphemy to modify quill itself?

Martin, I may be raising the standards bar on float fishing in England. I can 100% promise one cannot release those little rubber bands (previous post) without clippers.

Phone

Edited by Phone

All,

Steve, you want me to "cut the quill?" So once modified it can be only a black out of the water or a white out of the water. I'm OK with that but I thought it was some sort of blasphemy to modify quill itself?

Martin, I may be raising the standards bar on float fishing in England. I can 100% promise one cannot release those little rubber bands (previous post) without clippers.

Phone

Raising the standards bar!!

Have you actually upgraded to a centrepin?? - the true River fisherman's reel!!

(I've lit the blue touch paper - now standing back)

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Phone, to attatch your quil just use a float adaptor, then you can swap and change floats as you wish without breaking down your gear.

The old wire loop is pretty naff, forget them!

You could also atattch your float via several pieces of rubber tube as I do with my avon foats in my pics.

All

Yippie, I got out today for about 3 hrs. 54 dinks. All bluegill or longeared sunfish up to about 4.

The story is yet to come. I have PICTURES on my computer in .jpg format. I still am not able to post them - any suggestions??

The rod and reel were perfect. Had to use #10 salmon egg hooks so missed a lot of fish. I am going to have to go to a larger mainline (story later). The quils (2) sucked. My timing was horrible. Half dozen down the gut with the hook, half dozen through the eye inside out. Overall, the setup is way to sensitive for me (rig with pictures coming). Don't tell Gozzer but I had a great time. I think I jerked about 10 or 11 clear out of the water from 15 - 20 feet. Guess I'll try to retire my "texas whip hook set".

Ohh - inches

Phone

Edited by Phone
  • Like 2