Indian Summer

Vagabond

This last week we harvested the last of our outdoor tomato crop ("Sun Gold" variety according to our nurseryman). Not only the latest we have ever picked tomatoes, but no trace of blight on the leaves whatsoever. We have eaten a lot of them this summer, made many jars of chutney, and there is still a bowlful of green-red tomatoes ripening on the kitchen windowsill.

Been a good year for carrots an' all.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

This last week we harvested the last of our outdoor tomato crop ("Sun Gold" variety according to our nurseryman). Not only the latest we have ever picked tomatoes, but no trace of blight on the leaves whatsoever. We have eaten a lot of them this summer, made many jars of chutney, and there is still a bowlful of green-red tomatoes ripening on the kitchen windowsill.

Been a good year for carrots an' all.

Window ripening is old hat ,stick them in a drawer or box with a ripe banana or two

Not grown any for a few years since the mrs transmitted plague to them by growing supermarket potato's .

Best ones we grew were tumbler ,stick em in hanging baskets and keep them watered and fed nothing else to do but reach up and pick them and pop them in your mouth.

Chesters top tip on hot days put water in cups and freeze them and put a block of ice in each basket ,as it melts it keeps it moist

Mrs picked her last strawberry last week the rest froze to death since

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

My tomatoes are outdoors and I'm still picking. I had three off it last night and he were perfect with loads more to come - if they survived last nights -2.

They aren't a named variety, they are a third generation offspring from a supermarket plum tomato.

I had a bunch of cherry tomatoes as well and while they're great for early fruit, they kept splitting and they just ran wild.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

My tomatoes are outdoors and I'm still picking. I had three off it last night and he were perfect with loads more to come - if they survived last nights -2.

They aren't a named variety, they are a third generation offspring from a supermarket plum tomato.

I had a bunch of cherry tomatoes as well and while they're great for early fruit, they kept splitting and they just ran wild.

splitting is irregular watering and cherry ones should run wild or they produce larger fruit if tamed

We have crossed fingers our geraniums dry out before the frost gets into the shed they are hanging in and kills them before they are dry enough to store

We lost the last one last year we kept drying and replanting from our last house we left that in 2000! 18 is old for a dog in geraniums it must be ancient!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Vagabond,

I was a grandfather before I knew the definition of "Indian Summer"

I have to post the question because my tomatoes were trash this year. Had plenty to eat but very late season. DRY, Dry, dry and cold nights. Then RAIN, Rain, rain - like a dummy I fertilized on a regular schedule and when plants began producing fruits (or veggie) they popped out of their skins. Yes - I do know better. For some reason unbeknownst to me - I had bushels of cucumbers.

Phone

splitting is irregular watering and cherry ones should run wild or they produce larger fruit if tamed

We have crossed fingers our geraniums dry out before the frost gets into the shed they are hanging in and kills them before they are dry enough to store

We lost the last one last year we kept drying and replanting from our last house we left that in 2000! 18 is old for a dog in geraniums it must be ancient!

Geraniums can live for up to forty years.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Cory,

The adversarial Cory is back

Nonsense, true geraniums live as long as they are well cared for and -------------

So to answer “how long do geraniums live,” it really depends on where you live and the type of “geranium” plant you have.

You did teach me something however. When I googled I had no idea there was a bi-annual geranium.

Phone

Geraniums can live for up to forty years.

no 41 year olds ,what a life though growing seeing the world ,visiting your grandchildren ,..,,,..

or just growing being dug up ,being hung until your on the verge of death .,......good job the rspca isnt involved!

no 41 year olds ,what a life though growing seeing the world ,visiting your grandchildren ,..,,,..

or just growing being dug up ,being hung until your on the verge of death .,......good job the rspca isnt involved!

Not all geraniums are grown in cold climes. I've seen "hedges" of geraniums in Corsica with stems as thick as my forearm.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Not all geraniums are grown in cold climes. I've seen "hedges" of geraniums in Corsica with stems as thick as my forearm.

Most are not thats why ours die in the slightest frost ,getting warmer now (not so warm as 2000 years ago ) but now we can grow tea we will have a nice Mediterranian climate creeping up