Paraplegic at Luton Airport

John S

It's been on the news that a disabled bloke had to scramble along the floor at Luton airport after his wheelchair had been misplaced. Lots of video clips of him going along the floor, and then pushing himself along by his hands on a trolley.

BUT! The airport staff offered him a wheelchair and also offered to wheel him to his taxi, but he insisted on a wheelchair he could move by himself, insisting that anything less than that would be an embarrassment and therefore would be undignified.

My father was disabled, and I used to push him around in his wheelchair. He did not complain. He did not think it was undignified. AND HE DID NOT INSIST ON PUSHING HIMSELF ALONG THE FLOOR INSTEAD OF ALLOWING ME TO PUSH HIM AROUND IN A WHEELCHAIR.

So, what do you think? Was he right in insisting on a self-propelled wheelchair, or should he have swallowed his self-proclaimed pride and let one of the staff push him along in a wheelchair?

And please, if you are going to push yourself along on a trolley, DON'T SHOW YOUR ARSE!

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

As a general observation I would say that a lot of people will go to extraordinary extremes to get their five minutes of fame, irrespective of the fact that the five minutes make them look like total plonkers.

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

I agree H_V. Especially if they are in a minority group.

John S

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

It's been on the news that a disabled bloke had to scramble along the floor at Luton airport after his wheelchair had been misplaced. Lots of video clips of him going along the floor, and then pushing himself along by his hands on a trolley.

BUT! The airport staff offered him a wheelchair and also offered to wheel him to his taxi, but he insisted on a wheelchair he could move by himself, insisting that anything less than that would be an embarrassment and therefore would be undignified.

My father was disabled, and I used to push him around in his wheelchair. He did not complain. He did not think it was undignified. AND HE DID NOT INSIST ON PUSHING HIMSELF ALONG THE FLOOR INSTEAD OF ALLOWING ME TO PUSH HIM AROUND IN A WHEELCHAIR.

So, what do you think? Was he right in insisting on a self-propelled wheelchair, or should he have swallowed his self-proclaimed pride and let one of the staff push him along in a wheelchair?

And please, if you are going to push yourself along on a trolley, DON'T SHOW YOUR ARSE!

Pushed my mrs about many times ,at least we could walk at my pace!

I didnt find it undignified at all bumping into a stack of cola and spraying half the shop quite amusing actually ,wouldnt try to get out of some in an emergency though!

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I agree H_V. Especially if they are in a minority group.

Blimey must have been a black one legged eskimo a minority indeed!

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

The airport made a significant cockup by not getting the guy's chair off the plane but I'm sure they were very apologetic and provided him with a chair and someone to propel him until the cockup could be resolved.

Instead accepting that these things can happen occasionally, he decided to drag himself through the airport for publicity and with an eye on a big payout.

The man is a tit - and had there been a terrorist incident or similar emergency, his body on the floor could have stopped people getting to safety and cost people their lives.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Yep agree with all of the above & said it all when it was first shown on the News.

He just wanted his 5 (or is it 15?) minutes of fame / Telly Time.

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

And who did a video for him ?? Planned or what as no one offered to help him. Looks like a money grabbing stunt to me

Edited by wotnobivvy

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

I hope that when it comes to court, the judge just throws it out. Unfortunately, Luton airport will probably settle out of court to avoid any more negative press :(

John S

When faced with having to help someone with a disability, it strikes me that a modicum of common sense and pragmatism is required , from both the disabled person and the helper.

For example one group of science students I taught had a chap in a wheel chair, and a weekly session in an upstairs laboratory (Victorian building - no lift) Solved in two seconds- four volunteers from amongst his fellows to carry the chair and occupant up and down once a week. No "humiliation" involved. Just a pragmatic solution that all concerned accepted as routine. Of course we could have started a campaign to rebuild the university - but how would that have "helped" the immediate need of the student which was to get enough lab experience to pass his forthcoming exam.

Another chap had visual difficulties in looking down a polarising microscope. So with the aid of some lab clamps and stands and a projecter lens I rigged the microscope horizontally so it projected an image onto the white wall beside his lab bench. Problem solved without the hassle and delay of ordering a special projector.

The most challenging was a blind lady geology student (who wound up better able to identify rocks by feeling their textures than most students could by using their sight) It taught me a lot also, as I had to rethink many concepts in order to explain them to a non-sighted person.. One snag was the continued attempts of a "counselor" who wanted to grab some kudos from "getting involved" She wanted to organise a convention of blind students - theology, arts, social sciences. languages, sciences, catering, business studies etc etc. Linda soon put her right. " Why do you think I need to relate to other blind students ?" she said, "I know as much as I need about being blind, I have been blind from birth, travel daily to a job in the city and run my household, including shopping - the students I enjoy meeting are fellow geology students with the same academic problems as I have" I have rarely seen a counselor so lost for words............

As I get older and progress towards disability I will take any help that's useful. Hearing aid and reading spectacles I use without considering them an embarrassment, I need a stick to walk a short distance (like to my swim) and a mobility scooter to travel more than about 100 yards, No doubt things will get worse with age but I will not be "humiliated" by such trivia, If I need to be pushed in a wheel chair through an air port so be it. I was wheeled into and out of hospital last week following a cataract removal.. I was left briefly in a corridor, and approached by a busybo do-gooder and asked if I needed help. Rather mischievously I replied "Well, I'm waiting for my wife - unless I get a better offer"

Edited by Vagabond
  • Like 3

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...