Cheap(ish) Poles

Steve Walker

Last time I looked at it, my old 11m Browning had some damage to some of the sections. I haven't fished the pole in years, but it was something I used to enjoy and I was thinking I might do a bit of it again now I'm back up in the frozen North.

I was looking at what was on the market in the £300-£400 range, and it looks like you can get a 13m carp pole which is lighter and stiffer than my old 11m match pole. I don't do commercials but I'm sure something like that would be fine for a bit of canal fishing with the right elastic and would have the versatility for heavier fishing if I felt like it. Lots of options from Drennan, MAP, Preston, Daiwa, etc. Any recommendations?

I'm sure that any of the poles in that price range would be perfectly adequate. The only thing really is personal preference and how they feel in use. Best advice is to go to a shop that has a pole alley and try out a few to find one that suits you

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Yeah, that's my view too, much of a muchness - but I'm thinking of things like "it's a bugger in a crosswind" or "the joints stick or wear badly" or "it's fragile" or "you can never get spares" that you wouldn't get from waggling it in the shop.

My cousin who also takes me fishing swears by the MAP TKS (which stands for Top kit system)

Last time I looked at it, my old 11m Browning had some damage to some of the sections. I haven't fished the pole in years, but it was something I used to enjoy and I was thinking I might do a bit of it again now I'm back up in the frozen North.

I was looking at what was on the market in the £300-£400 range, and it looks like you can get a 13m carp pole which is lighter and stiffer than my old 11m match pole. I don't do commercials but I'm sure something like that would be fine for a bit of canal fishing with the right elastic and would have the versatility for heavier fishing if I felt like it. Lots of options from Drennan, MAP, Preston, Daiwa, etc. Any recommendations?

The beauty being that ALL the MAP TKS Poles regardless of model/serial Number will take ALL the top kits in the TKS Range so fully Interchangeable.

Here'a a 13 M one - you get a lot for just £345 ......... (click the Read More button in the Link below)

Sorry the post is mixed up now - Bleedin' Editing again!!

Included is a Match kit for the Canal!! + 2 x Power kits already bushed for pullers, cupping kit & cups

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjIz_u9wePeAhVHsO0KHX8pDoIYABAOGgJkZw&ohost=www.google.co.uk&cid=CAESEeD2R4sQoLiDN1jDDYg4LLi-&sig=AOD64_3vG6DFlosrV2DL7074XnXd1Gb_3w&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwiI0va9wePeAhUrIsAKHUlBCyQQ9aACCDc&adurl=

Edited by Martin56
  • Like 1

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Yeah, that's one I was looking at. Hmm.

You could spend a similar amount on something different, but would then have all the added expense of the bits (bushes, pullers & cutting down etc)

This one seems ready to go Bar the elastics??

PS I like Middy Hollow!!

Edited by Martin56

There's this one here - it's from a tackle shop ten min's bus ride from our house, a great set of lads who also know me very well.

£199, but doesn't come with much re extras. Good price (reduced twice now)

Post is Free for over £50 spend.

https://tackle2u.com/pole-fishing/poles/concept-gt-power-carp-pole-13m

Good price, but I can't find any weight or reviews for it, and there are some dodgy reviews of its predecessor. Everything talks about how powerful it is, so I think it might be a better commercial pole than something I can use for silvers too.