In case anyone is interested.

gozzer

With regard to the remote possibility of any UK Government body actually taking notice of public opinion, I might not bother to respond. Those of you with a less cynical mind, might feel different, so...

https://consult.environment-agency.gov.uk/fisheries/consultation-on-the-review-of-the-close-season/

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Hopefully it is is better than the governments stance on metal detecting ,under some rule in the recreation laws councils have to allow detecting on council land (our land !) ,in approaching surrey they swiftly declined under the usual health and safety lines.

When the rule was shown to them they answered detect away but if you dig a hole we will procecute you .

Close season fishing maybe easier now the old regional bodies have gone but any council owned canals or river fronts on council land may not happen ,!

The trouble is if you give puffed up with their own sence of importance pricks power they are going to use that power and it may not happen unless the government imposes it in law

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Completed. Thanks for the link.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Blimey you get less questions getting a driving licence !

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I've agreed with having a closed season ever since the 60s, when just because someone caught a trout years before, a water was classed as a 'mixed fishery', and any method fishing was allowed most of the year. In my youth I took advantage of this, that is until I saw some 'anglers' having found were the fish were shoaling up prior to spawning, proceeded to fish and 'catch' almost as many foul hooked fish, as mouth hooked ones. The amount of spawn and milt shed, as each fish was reeled in, hooked in the fins, vent, belly, etc, had to be seen to be believed. Instead of moving on, they carried on having 'great sport' and boasting of large catches of roach, chub, barbel, bream etc. The present closed season is not ideal, and could do with some tweaking, especially with regional differences in mind, but it's better than no closed season.

The abolition of the closed season on stillwaters was done mainly for financial reasons, and to appease those who believe that 'catching' is the 'be-all and end-all', of angling.

John.

• Like 2

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I can and do fish the rivers legally in the closed season so even although it restricts me a little, it doesn't stop me fishing.

I still opted for abolition even though this means more people on the bank competing with me for access to the river.

The deciding factor was quite simply poaching - people legally on the bank and fishing is the best deterrent.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I can and do fish the rivers legally in the closed season so even although it restricts me a little, it doesn't stop me fishing.

I still opted for abolition even though this means more people on the bank competing with me for access to the river.

The deciding factor was quite simply poaching - people legally on the bank and fishing is the best deterrent.

I don't know about your area Ken, but on my last half dozen trips the most anglers I've seen on the bank at any one time, is three. That includes the guy who came checking day tickets. He covers a couple of miles of bank, and had not seen more than a half dozen anglers for years, unless there was a match on. If these numbers are repeated around the country, then I can't see it being much of a deterrent to poachers. I've heard many say that so few angler fish rivers now, that a closed season is irrelevant. They have a point, but I still prefer having a closed season. In fact I would bring back the closed season on stillwaters as well.

I think I'm right in that you mainly lure fish, a fairly exclusive method, but not the any method that we have now on stillwaters.

Call it nostalgia, but I always liked 'fighting' my way to the bank through the 'jungle' on the first day of the season, (which if the fishery owners care to look, is a good indication of poachers having been there). The neatly mown lawns, and a platform at every peg are ok for some, but not for me. Someday maybe :wheelchair: but not just yet.

John.

I didnt vote either way i got fed up 5 pages in ,why stop fishing in the close season we are an island go sea fishing and blanking thus see how well you are actually fishing in fresh water.

At about 9 i used to go to folkestone a couple of times in the close season and spend the night down the warren as i got older i went more ,theres nothing like dragging a huge creel and rod bag up the stairs on a double decker bus in a rail strike peering out windows covered in condensation trying to spot the station you need to get off and falling down the stairs when your waders slip to the amusement off all in sundry ,happy days

Fishing then was a adventure and even now a bit of fun fish come far down the list of necessary completions doing it ,walking 10 miles to keston was the adventure blanking just part of it!

Edited by chesters1

I don't see a strong ecological argument for keeping it, and there are certainly benefits to having a few eyes on the water. There's tradition, but my classic opening day involves a pond and tench, not a river, and that's history now. It seems harsh to criminalise people for the sake of tradition. So, with a little reluctance, I think it should go.

• Like 1