why?

chesters1

I have been self injecting a course of drugs to thin the blood since i came out of hospital last night i finished.

I asked the local pharmacy if they could get rids of the shaps in the hospital supplied sharps box ,no they said!

I asked today at the local GP no they said we dont try the council!!!!

Strangely the council have this job but why ignore the people that do it all the time .

Pretty simple thing to arrange ,online form and 10 minutes later a call from the council confirming when i needed the box taking aeay and where it eill be !

I had never thought how sharps were got rid of but it was an eye opener ,strange system indeed

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Thanks ,all sorted now but its strange the council gets the job not those using needles all the time .

Had i seen your link i would have dropped the box off at boots thursday but would the service apply to 'law' abiding (maybe) citizens or just just junkies lol

I got here via the gov website using google

https://www.gov.uk/request-clinical-waste-collection/waverley

I must say i never wondered how diabetics got rid of their needles i presumed the pharmacy that supplied them got rid of them ,i know now they do not

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Chesters1,

I have a junkie on drugs that picks mine up weekly.

Perhaps even more difficult to dispose of correctly are the drugs themselves. Especially antibiotics and steroid based medications. Most know the "waste stream" is a horrible choice and yet that is exactly where most end up.

Phone

Just pulling your chain on my needles.

Pharmacies here will dispose of unused drugs.

Hmm, I wonder how often unused drugs with a street value get "lost" in the system?

They always say they have to be destroyed but at 8.50 a shot i bet those in date get recycled wink ,i will have to ask my daughter she is a worker in a big highstreet chemists Edited by chesters1

All,

I think it would be naive to think they all get properly destroyed. They aren't like used tires (no I don't know how to spell it in British English). I don't think there is even a NHS protocol for their destruction. There's plenty of information what the "consumer" should do but not much beyond that.

Frequently, even the police loose "evidence" in drug cases. Say - the unanswered question regarding the loss of 500 oxycodone capsules was in the news just recently

I thought this was interesting. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has found nicotine hazardous. There are now new rules for "how you can dispose of a ciggy butt". Be careful, very careful if you want to smoke in America.

""""The EPA Acting Administrator signed the final rule, titled, “Management Standards for Hazardous Waste Pharmaceuticals and Amendment to the P075 Listing for Nicotine” on December 11, 2018.""""

Our Federal Drug Administration (FDA) must address the issue of pharmaceuticals in the small print somewhere. I can't find it quickly. Looks like the issue was last addressed in 2010

Phone

Edited by Phone

The local NHS trust will arrange them to be picked up and disposed of by a contractor - likewise out of date meds - but there's an audit trail for the out of date stuff. There have been a few caught selling controlled drugs over the counter, which is difficult, you have to cook the books, so I think if a customer has just handed them in, maybe sometimes they don't get logged. Maybe sometimes they just fall under the counter...