40 dead

Andrew

Hatred is rooted in fear. What do you fear?

I'm back.

I'm not sure what you are implying with that question Steve, but I'll try to answer it.

I can honestly say that there has only been one time in my life that I can say that I hated someone, and that had nothing at all to do with fear. I find hate such a 'strong' word, that I tried to stop my kids from using it. I think it's a word that is used too often, to sometimes describe a lesser emotion.

If you mean what do I fear for myself? The answer is nothing, as I said in my earlier post, I fear for the future of my family. I've said that I live in an area that has a large immigrant population a few miles down the road. This area has changed beyond recognition because of the influx of immigrants, and this large increase in the number of immigrants over a relatively short period, has caused an increase in the tension that was already there. I've said it on here before that not only is there the tension, on both sides, between the locals and the long term resident Muslim community, there is also the same between both these groups, and the various Eastern European factions. The place is a powder keg, and it's only down to the actions of the moderates from all sides, that stops the place from erupting. It's surrounded by enclaves where mainly Muslims have set up their own communities, set apart from the surrounding areas. These are spreading at an ever increasing rate, and I can fully understand the concern from the families who have lived there all of their lives.

I said earlier that I have taught my kids to accept people for who they are, not what they are, but it's difficult sometimes. On the birth of my Grandson, my son took a second part-time job, to earn a bit of extra cash, at a local supermarket. The job was only stacking shelves, and putting out the reduced items at the end of the day. The number of times he was elbowed, kicked, pushed over, and generally knocked about, shocked both him and myself, especially when I saw the bruises. The one time he retaliated by pushing back, he was accused of being a racist, and reported to the management. He had to quit the job eventually, because he was getting to a point where he struggled to control his actions. He didn't like the way it made him feel, because it went against all he believed, and had been taught. The vast majority of those that acted in that way were Muslims. I know several Muslim families in the area, and get on OK with them, they too are disgusted by the above mentioned actions, as well as the more violent incidents, but they dare not speak out openly about them, for fear of retribution. There are some that act with an arrogance, and air of superiority and entitlement, and strut around looking down on people. Whether they have a high status in their communities I don't know, but they are the cause of a lot of ill feeling in the area.

If all this makes me a racist, or intolerant in some eyes, then so be it, I can only react to the things I experience.

There is always going to be friction when alien cultures are introduced into an existing population, The size and rate of the introduction determines the severity of that friction, as does the willingness to integrate, or not.

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Gozzer, if you feel a whimsy of a void toward Steve’s question, without ever knowing why, we all search for a target of the emotional cocktail of grief, fear, disgust, rage and resentment we experience. (You may put any of those words first if it makes you feel better).

Oddly enough, IMO the SAME thing, hate is exactly what also motivates us to stand up for ourselves and those who can no longer speak because their lives were brutally cut short.

From this confusion springs religion to cope with irreconcilable dilemmas

Phone

Hi Phone, thanks for the advise, but there's no 'void' towards Steve, or his question. I'm pretty laid back as far as emotions go, very few things shock me, or disgust me, I accept that 'things' happen, although I'm sometimes puzzled as to why they happen. My reactions are usually a mirror to the actions I receive from others, so I try not to prejudge anyone.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

John, I wasnt implying anything, I was asking what you feared about those populations. People fear all sorts of things, some real and some imagined. Sometimes they just fear change. What I was getting at is that those fears can initiate and feed hatred.

John, I wasnt implying anything, I was asking what you feared about those populations. People fear all sorts of things, some real and some imagined. Sometimes they just fear change. What I was getting at is that those fears can initiate and feed hatred.

Steve, I've just realised the origin of the link you provided in post 20, I must have been preoccupied earlier. I assume you posted it as a joke. A satirical news blog isn't something I take too seriously.

You can just fear change, like some did decimalisation, or supermarkets supplanting the corner shop, but I'm talking about something much bigger than that. Don't you think that people who see their whole lives being dictated by the mass influx of an alien culture, are right to be concerned?

John

Edited by gozzer

50 people have now died..

There is no doubt re the culprit, = Capital punishment.

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

John, yes, it was satire, but made a serious point about those who stir up hatred and then act as if they had nothing to do with the results.

Communities change. It happens even without international migration. People in London get upset when their neighbourhood goes up market and gets infested first with hipsters, then with rich people. Often displacing ethnic minority communities, who in turn had displaced white working class communities. Locals in Cumbria moan about offcomers and pensioners pricing their kids out of the market. Changes in local industry lead to villages becoming dormitories for city workers. Young people dont go to church, or the local post office, or the pub, things change, older people moan about it.

Meanwhile, people, who basically all want to live their lives, raise their families, make their living, go on doing so.

All,

You ain't seen nuttin yet. "hold my beer a second" Climate change is beginning to tighten the noose around "lovely ocean side properties" - inland rain patterns - and crop productions. blah blah

Phone

political bias is one thing, dying of thirst is another

Water will be the 'oil" of the future

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I wouldn't sweat it too much.

While pollution and excessive use of fossil fuel reserves are to be avoided and it is genuinely a good idea to apply a strong dose of the precautionary principle to anthropogenic climate change, lets not loose sight of the fact that the Earth is currently significantly cooler than it was between 1,000 and 600 years ago when Viking settlers were living in and farming Greenland - until the ice closed in and killed them all.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.