Knife Crime Solution?

Martin56

So, when Britain still had the death penalty there were no murders, except there were.

When British prisons were not "soft" then there were no criminals because they were frightened of the punishment, except there were.

Criminal, murderers and youths with knives don't fear the consequences. They are not frightened of going up against other gangs with guns and machetes, why would they be frightened of the law?

Build more prisons and fill them up. Build tougher prisons and fill them up. Basically you just get tougher prisoners. Many American prisons are virually run by gangs of prisoners. They are not like you and me. They don't care and they don't fear what you think you can do to them.

Do it, by all means if it makes you feel better, just don't expect it to be a deterrent.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

More prisons and more prisoners WILL work ,all the time they are in prison theyre not outside with a knife ,fill the country with prisons who cares if it stops one person being knifed

Perhaps you prefer the moslem way where you lose a hand ,that would work but i doubt the pc brigade will be happy ,you wont stop it giving out sweeties or social workers

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Sportsman,

Then you attribute low crime in Germany to civilized culture.

"""""Germany has the highest population in the whole of the EU, with nearly 15 million more citizens than either of its nearest rivals (France and the UK). On top of that, the country recently absorbed more than one million refugees from Syria and other warzones. Yet despite all this, nearly every single category of crime has been falling steadily since reunification in the 1990s"""""

Phone

Interesting. Germany does have a civilised culture, but whether that has anything to do with the levels of crime I couldn't say. All I was saying was that an uncivilsed clture of lockinbg people up and executing them is not a deterrent to crime.

Norway has one of the lowest reoffending rate for ex prisoners and they have a very civilised prison regime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuLQ4gqB5XE

You may hate the isea, but it seems to work. Maybe prisons should be more like Norways version

They also have a big problem with immigrant crime so thats not working Oslo is getting near to a no go area!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Interesting Chesters1.

They have problems with immigrants that come from violent and repressive countries, where the police have powers to do pretty much what they like and where prisons are just like the ones that you would like to see.

Seems to prove the point that I was making

And mine they obviously dont have enough prisons to fill so the crims dont fear the police putting them in them

Our country will get worse coming out with useless press releases saying no-one will go to prison for a sentence of under a year (2 in reality you serve approx half your sentence) i have see persons caught carrying knives get far less than that in the press !

The only difference between carrying a knife and stabbing someone is the opportunity to do it hasnt arisen yet ,treat carrying as stabbing and lock them away! Infact put them in a big room with a knife each and let them stab each other ,they may learn more than words from social workers and do gooders saying the poor things are abused by how they were brought up or someone picked on them ,i and most were picked on growing up i doubt many carried knives because they feared the law and its consequences then ,now there appears to be no punishment for much at all!

Yes there used to be razor gangs but they mostly razored each other so the police let them get on with it ,i suspect today in gang warfare they still do but its not just gangs now its everywhere because fear of the law has been lost

Edited by chesters1

They have ample prison space. The main reason is that they have probably the best re-offending rate in the world. Once released they don't come back. USA on the other hand, with its harsh and brutal system has one of the worst re-offending rates in the world.

Einstein said something along the lines of "The height of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome"

So how would you stop it?

5 minutes talk with a psychiatrist every few months (if they are lucky enough to get it)

Total ban on knives being sold anywhere and police searching every house in the country?

Chopping off hands stopping the act at the root.

Getting rid of the main agressors (which seem to be immigrants in many cases) execution? Deportation rarely happens!

No to stop a person carrying a knife you remove the knife then remove the person from the position to get another one IE you lock them away no not in this holiday camp prisons we have today real ones like they used to be ,those locked up that fear going back in will think twice those not effected get life! (Or shallow graves in woods) no-one ever having been effected by knife weilding thugs will care i promise

Its society changing and people looking around seeing no-one seems to get punished for crime so they do it aswell ,start punishing and only the retarded or stupid will do it and lock them away forever and they will stop aswell

Prisons DO work all the time you are in it your not outside of it where we are!

I would hazard a guess knife crime was very low when you used to be able to carry one so laws unless enforced are not being backed up with punishment suitable to deter it now most are banned ,i had several flick knives as a kid and sheath knives crocodile dundee would be proud of but we didnt go sticking them in people we feared the consequences!

Einstein should have said keep doing stuff until it changes make sense! Japan changed when it was nuked the second time i suspect if it didnt turning japan into a sheet of glass would have worked aswell!

Edited by chesters1

I base my opion on easily verifiable facts. Prisoners in Norway are well treated and respected. When released they cause fewer problems and are much less likely to reoffend and go back to prison. They are the facts for Norway.

American prisoners are in a harsh, dangerous environment. They are treated badly by the staff, by and large and live in an environment where looking at someone the wrong way could easily get you killed. After years of this they are released into the community where they can't get a job and find it difficult to relate to the people around them. They harbour fear and resentment and are looking for vengeance in many cases. They are much more likely to reoffend and go back to prison. Also a fact.

One system works, the other doesn't. America now has a higher proportion of its population in prison than any other country in the world and that includes countries like Iran and China.

What facts do you base your opinion on?

Edited by Sportsman