EA removing zander

The Flying Tench

I was told today that the EA are electro-fishing and removing the zander from the Oxford canal, starting the Oxford end, because they are spoiling the other fishing. Phew! I wonder what their aim is. Is it just the Oxford canal, in which case why? Is it all the canals and rivers, in which case is it achievable?

Has anyone heard anything about this?

john clarke

Zander are classed as an invasive species John.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/fishing/fish-species/invasive-and-non-native-fish/zander

Can I return a zander to the canal?

As the law stands, it is illegal to return a zander or any other non-native fish species to the canal network. This is set out in the terms and conditions of our KIFR permits.

You are allowed to take zander and other fish species classified by DEFRA as non-native for the pot.

The same applies to all these,

• But most anglers seem to ignore the laws when it suits them, after all 'it's a fish innit'

John

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Gozzer,

I suppose "they" know a Koi is a common carp. That may be your out - catch and kill cause you saw a yellow spot somewhere on the carcass.

Phone

Tench,

Are they going to allow pike to remain (or are there pike?) ?

paraphrased from one of my fish books -- """"The northern pike (Esox lucius), known simply as a pike in Britain, Ireland, most of Canada, and most parts of the United States (once called luce when fully grown; also called jackfish or simply "northern" in the U.S. Upper Midwest and in Manitoba or Saskatchewan), is a species of carnivorous fish of the genus Esox""""

Gozzer,

I suppose "they" know a Koi is a common carp. That may be your out - catch and kill cause you saw a yellow spot somewhere on the carcass.

Phone

Tench,

Are they going to allow pike to remain (or are there pike?) ?

paraphrased from one of my fish books -- """"The northern pike (Esox lucius), known simply as a pike in Britain, Ireland, most of Canada, and most parts of the United States (once called luce when fully grown; also called jackfish or simply "northern" in the U.S. Upper Midwest and in Manitoba or Saskatchewan), is a species of carnivorous fish of the genus Esox""""

Yup, but Koi are 'manufactured' carp, and we have more than enough mongrel carp being introduced to/existing in, our waters.

My programme of training otters to only eat carp is coming along pretty well, and I would be more agreeable to immigration from eastern Europe, if they swore to only eat carp for the first 10years of coming here.

Yes there will be pike, (Esox Lucius) in the canal, they have been around for millions of years, so I think we can call them indigenous.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Gozzer, I take the point that we are not meant to put zander back in the canals. But that could still mean they are a good fishing prospect. It's another question whether the EA are systematically taking them out of all the canals. You could turn up and find they have all been taken out the week before!

Does anyone know how extensive the EA's designs are?

john clarke

It seems it's been going on for some time John.

This from last year

https://the-pikers-pit.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=34717

Various reasons offered, to placate matchmen, to sell on to restaurants etc, allegedly to protect native species, you take your choice.

I do know that earlier culls failed because they took mainly large fish, and found that the increase in the number of small fish made the problem worse. They didn't realise that, as with pike, the large fish prey on the small ones, and help keep the numbers in check.

They will never strip a water of them, they are too well established.

John.

I reckon 95%+ of anglers have NEVER seen a Zander except on Telly, YouTube or DVD!!

Our contributions via the fishing License revenue would far better be used by investigating waterborne parasites/diseases, water usage, flood defense & License checking!! :busted_cop:

OK - Lets tackle Zander because the other issues are too hard!!!!

Edited by Martin56
  • Like 1

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

All,

Strangely a Walleye (zander) is a perch. Wonder what would happen if the same process was executed by the EU for your perch.

The Zander is a fish in the Perch family that is one of the largest in that family. They can grow up to 42 inches and 25 pounds.

The female zander will lay an average of 50,000 eggs.

They are the 3rd most popular catch and take fish in America. Annual stocking nationwide ranges from 60 million to a 120 million surpassed only by trout and bass. (Actually the bass are C&R but suffer huge mortality. Often released from live wells after a torunament all in the same area after having been taken from all points on 50 thousand acre lakes.)

Phone

No one gives a damn about perch other than Zander - best human bait among fish - from hook to fork.

Edited by Phone