EA removing zander

The Flying Tench

Just from memory when I was a kid, there was a species ( in our minds) called a Perch Pike.

Not hard to think a Perch & Pike could interbreed 50 years or so ago - given our Yorkshire Intelligence!!

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Martin,

The Zander has a long, slender body with two separated dorsal fins, a mouth filled with many small teeth and a few larger ones for catching prey, and large, reflective eyes. This species bears a passing resemblance to its relative the walleye (Sander vitreus),

Zander are often called pike-perch as they resemble the pike with their elongated body and head, and the perch with their spiny dorsal fin. That is, if you are a pike fisherman. If you are a perch fisherman they are called perch-pike

In fact, Zander are and invasive species in the US - if we could just tell them apart from walleye (?). Walleye are slightly more agressive anyway and can live in a much lower disolved oxygen setting (like under ice for 4 months).

Then we have Saugers. They are a widely distributed fish species (a perch). Their historical range consisted of eastern U.S mostly southern, central, and western U.S up into southern Canada.

Hybridization between saugers and walleyes is not unknown; the hybrids, referred to as saugeyes, exhibit traits of both species.

This is why I am a carp fisherman.

Phone

Edited by Phone

I reckon 95%+ of anglers have NEVER seen a Zander except on Telly, YouTube or DVD!!

Our contributions via the fishing License revenue would far better be used by investigating waterborne parasites/diseases, water usage, flood defense & License checking!! :busted_cop:

OK - Lets tackle Zander because the other issues are too hard!!!!

I have never seen one outside of pictures etc
  • Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I have never seen one outside of pictures etc

Here's a curveball - Perch are actually members of the Bass family & (maybe) Now't to do with Pike, Zander, Walleye or Saugeye!!

Could well be some evolutionary link though??

Nature always finds a way!!

(I blame the single cell Amoeba) :huh:

Edited by Martin56

Martin,

May have been before you came on board.

I think everyone "settled" on this being the official source of information

At present, FishBase covers >33,000 fish species compiled from >52,000 ... 33,230, Species, species-group taxa; 59 species have 95 subspecies 33,125 species
The only time I have found them wrong is when they disagree with me
Phone

Martin,

I gave you every chance in the world - BUT OH-NO - We will be talking apples and oranges unless we drop back to "order and family". Really kind of boring.

Phone

Should memory serve, and it often fails, bass and perch cannot (or rather do not) cross without the aid of one cell Amoeba. Then you might be on to something.

Phone - point taken, Bass & Perch are NOT closely related according to the Link below.

I was always lead to believe they were they were!!. One lives & learns!!

https://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/threads/is-a-perch-related-to-a-bass.51473/

Edited by Martin56