EA removing zander

The Flying Tench

Phone - It's always OK to "Fess Up" when one is wrong, It's the Mark of a REAL MAN!!!!!!!

"Not Closely Related" suggests there's a link however tentative that may be.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Martin,

When fishing, especially with a long time mate, I prefer to lie. First, In the US at least it is not a sin to lie whilst fishing, but rather an expected event.

You are absolutly correct. They are all fish.

Phone

Hey folks, been a while ;)

The EA have been culling zander along the southern end of the Oxford canal for ages, so this is nothing new. They don't seem to do the same thing along the northern end, e.g. around Coventry.

You can try to understand their motives all you like, but I've tried and failed. To cull a naturalised species in one section of a long canal, which is itself connected to the entire canal network, when the culling of predators has been repeatedly proven to be ineffective, can only really suggest the motive is purely ideological. Or, a fanatical but extremely localised interpretation of the law.

The fact that zander are not native is totally irrelevant at this point. They are widespread and naturalised. The types of water they prefer are very similar to their native homes in mainland Europe (Holland, Germany, etc.) so they are very at home here. I remember as a kid in the fens all the scare stories about them eating all the fish, killing for fun, etc. All nonsense, as we now know.

The EA can keep culling this bit of one canal all they like, at some point they will inevitably decide to stop (probably for financial reasons), after which it will all have been for nothing anyway.

PS there's some great zander fishing throughout the canal network. Ultralight lure fishing at dawn for canal zander (and bonus perch) is one of life's great pleasures. We last did this just a few weeks ago - highly recommended :)

• Like 2

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music