bust rod tip

I have a John Wilson Avon Quiver, and the top 2" of the float rod tip broke off. But I have the remains of an older similar rod, though the relevant section won't fit into the new butt. But maybe I could use the old tip ring? Is there any trick to getting it off the old tip without breaking the tip and having a bit of carbon stuck inside the ring so it's not useable?

john clarke

Tench,

"Paleazzzze" a new tip is about £5.00 including the necessary installation materials.

Besides, if there was one feature on a rod that could use changing on occasion it is the tip ring. It is by far the most abused part of the rod in terms of wear. DO NOT reuse tip rings.

Phone

Tench, Using a pair of plyers grip the tip ring and heat it up over a match to melt the glue and the carbon bit should come out very easily.

Tip: Dont do this over your best carpet like I did once or you might get your carbon spitting out and burning a hole in it Lol.

Phone, the John Wilson rod is an Avon/Quiver rod and its tip ring wouldnt come under the same stress as a lure rod (which is continuously being cast and retrieved).

The rod is either used for casting wagglers or stick floats which dont weigh more than a few grams; or for occasionally casting small weights so its tip ring(s) should be fine; although a check for cracks with your finger nail and a magnifying glass would be a good idea just to make sure.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

As BB says, you should be able to use a match/lighter to melt the glue and pull out the broken bit of rod tip. It doesn't always work though, I last tried this on a lure rod and no matter what I did I couldn't get it out.

The old tip ring might fit once you've tidied up the broken carbon end, or it might be too small. If the latter, or if you can't rescue the original ring, new tip rings are cheap on ebay. A bit of araldite will glue it on.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Thanks, BB - yes, the match worked perfectly, but Andrew is right - the ring was too tight for the tip, given that the top 2" had been broken off. I had thought I'd be able to sand it down, but hadn't realised even the tip was hollow. But have taken Andrew's advice and sent for a tip from eBay. Hard to be sure I've ordered the right size, but I'm hopeful.

Thanks

• Like 1

john clarke

Hi Tench, if it is the wrong size, you'll get one from here ...........

https://www.guidesnblanks.com/

They are very reliable - I bought stuff like cork handle tape & shrink tube for same from them.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

You MIGHT be able to form the bore of the original ring slightly bigger by pushing in the BLANK end of a slightly bigger drill. (being careful not to split it) Even a Nail might do if you're Lucky!!

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

• 2 weeks later...