Rodent problem

wotnobivvy

I have the big Shakespeare blue tackle box ann 3 times this year it has been invaded by rodents. I tend to keep plastic boxes ( from the manufacturer of sad bait) wtih mainly pellets. This last time they have nibbled through the lid to eat the contents. Apart from removing the bait to a safe place does anyone have any suggestions. The box is in the garage with a poison trap that they eat the contents of and an electrical sonic deterrent but I see no bodies only the poo droppings all over my gear.

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

A metal dustbin - put all the bait in that, and clean any groundbait from cork rod handles cos they'll nibble on those as well.

• Like 1

An old fashioned steel box will keep them out of the seatbox and a gym type locker with the shelf removedwill keep most rods safe.

My lofts full of big steel boxes and a locker lying on its back for my rods the adjoining house has broken air bricks so the loft gets invaded ,hard to find a poison that kills mice but dont use rat poison the active ingrediant is half of whats in mouse bait!

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Just had a large, similar problem, but with rats -= eventually managed to get rid of 47 of the nasty little buggers - and a mouse - using simple, traditional rat-traps. They randomly took both cheese and Nutella, but two tricks I found were invaluable wer 1/ push the bait well down into the bait-hoders, so it cant simply be grabbed and removed, and 2/ the traps themselves needed a bit of tweaking to be fully effective. The triggers are invariably a simple plastic affair, but not particularly precise - a simple fettle / trim with a Stanley knife or similar made them much more sensitive, and consequently, much more effective.

Problem with the various poisons is that they seem to fall into two camps - a paste / pasta based one typically held in small envelopes, almost raviolli-like, and grain=based, which is often formed into blocks. Both have problems (the paste / pasta based ones were untouched apart from by the dog (without any apparent effect, and despite me putting them where it was almost impossible for me to access, never mind a dog!), and the grain-based can be ineffective for a couple of different reasons, one critical one being that rats further south are noted for having largely developed an immunity, to the poison in use (though there is a Type II easily available, typically where the loose grain is dyed a bright green colour) The geend grain proved very effective, but when I was investigating what to buy, it became apparent that MOST of the grain BLOCK type baits, particularly those made in the Far East (which is most of them) are about 95% wax, and contain very little rodenticide.

Good luck --- hate the bloody creatures, personally!

• 2 weeks later...

Personally always found that a couple of sonic devices strategically placed is enough to deter mice. That and the complete removal of any foodstuffs, especially baits.

Our chief weapon is surprise

Our mice ignore them ,our mice ignored two of them ! No food in the loft but lots of mice!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

A metal dustbin - put all the bait in that, and clean any groundbait from cork rod handles cos they'll nibble on those as well.

Just bought a rod for cheap with the front grip all nibbled.

It's cost me £3 for a new EVA grip to d a simple repair but it's pretty obvious that the previous owner had left groundbait or similar on the grip.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.