In-line lead or bomb?

Ken L

I'm thinking of having a go for barbel with bolt rig type tactics as the season progresses.

I don't do a lot of "trapping" type fishing so what are the pros and cons of inline vs bomb type leads in this situation.

I would imagine that inline is a bit less prone to tangles.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Ken,

Bait:

42 oz Old Fashioned rolled oats

2 cans cream style corn

Mix in a bucket – allow 10 minutes to set

Rig: Comes in a “D” ring if you hair rig it.

Gamakatsu G-Carp SUPER SNAG A1 TEFLON

Hook bait:

Corn pops or puffs (breakfast cereal)

You can put it on the hook and “pack” the oats around it – golf ball size - or hair rig it (rookies use a method feeder)

65465f03-aa24-49f7-a954-efd56f669e22_1.4

I often dampen the puff and coat it in red pepper powder

Phone

A pack bait but no mention of a lead.

The water I'll be fishing is pretty fast moving and freelining a pack bait isn't an option.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I'll give my opinion for what it's worth Ken, but i'm sure others may do the complete opposite. Are you thinking along the lines of carp tackle type inline leads or the semi-fixed lead clips? If so then i'd say in really heavy weed where you are likely to get snagged then lead clips are probably the way to go, although saying that I do believe that inline lead set ups are less likely to get snagged up in the first place. I do think that hook length plays a part too. With shorter/stiffer/heavier hook links I prefer an inline lead set up, whereas a longer more supple hook length would see me gravitate towards a lead clip arrangement. Again some may think different, I tend to prefer an inline lead, but I find a lead clip tends to act a little like a patternoster rig and does seem to help against tangles when using supple and longer hook lengths.

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

Thanks Ant.

Weed isn't a big issue but it's a Severn weirpool that I've not fished before and I don't know how rough the bottom is.

I guess I'll try both and see what works.

Martin, I already slide a little black rubber grip bead onto the line when I fish a running ledger. That way, if bites are hard to hit, I have the option of sliding it right down to the lead to create a self hooking bolt rig.

Ken,

Correct. NO lead - I never fish at the distances your accustomed to but I do vary the length of the cast by the size of the "pack" around the hook bait. As I said, - if you insist - I believe I would just resort to a method feeder.

On my part the rigging is easy. I tie the hook straight to the mainline. Put on the bait and "pack" around it. The oatmeal pack constantly breaks down in about 3 - 7 minutes depending on water temp and any motion in the venue.

Second offering - see below - I consider the below setup way to heavy as I always "touch" fish.

puffon-1.jpg

This is the "standard" rig. The "pack" in this case goes around the in-line weight. "Pops" or "puffs" are buoyant so in effect you are fishing a popup over a bait pile.

Phone

All,

Let me forewarn you. I don't worry about a "hooklength". If you insist on typing a sermon I shall respectfully read it.

My resolution use 50 lb mainline.

Phone

I used to use a lot of puffed wheat cereal (Sugar puffs) for surface fishing in the margins when I was a kid. The fish would go mental for the free offerings. I'd caught so many carp by the time I was 20 that I never got into the specimen scene of the 80's and 90's.

When I use a rig similar to yours suspended under a float, I prefer a very short braid hooklink of around 10cm and as small a hook as I can get away with.

With the bait packed around a spiral feeder, this rig becomes almost tangle proof and the small hook and soft flexible leader mean the bait is easily inhaled by fish feeding on the ball.