In-line lead or bomb?

Ken L

Ken,

My only question - will it work for barbel? We don't have them. Guess Tigger will have a comment.

Phone

Barbel are basically European red horse,
  • Like 1

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Personaly I would use a bomb style lead rather than an inline one. My reasons are, if you get snagged as often happens your banjaxed if using an inline lead...your gonn'a loose your weight and your hook etc. If using a sliding bomb you can fish your mainline straight through also.

If using a bomb style lead I tie to it a small loop of much lighter line than my mainline to attatch it onto my clip swiver, or whatever i'm using to add my weight to. That way, if the lead is snagged I get everything back bar the lead.

Another good option is to use a section of biycicle innertube, tie a loop of mono to it for atatching it to your clip and use stones out of the river as weights, simply find some that fit snugly into the rubber band. If they get trapped they just pull out of the innertube :).

Another tip when legering on a river, before winding in, strike your weight up off the bottom, then wind in quickly. That stops you dragging your weight into rocks.

Ken,

Usually when buffalo fishing.

""The silver redhorse is a large, heavy-bodied sucker that thrives in clean, swift, medium-sized rivers. It is truly an impressive creature. The silver is the largest member of the sucker family, apart from the buffalos, commonly found throughout the USA. Spectacular fighters, silver redhorse are a favorite target for anglers who appreciate big, tough-fighting fish. Delicious to eat, challenging to catch, hard-fighting, and beautiful, this species is perhaps one of the most underappreciated of all the great sucker species in north America.""

Phone

Ken,

""The silver redhorse is a large, heavy-bodied sucker that thrives in clean, swift, medium-sized rivers. It is truly an impressive creature. The silver is the largest member of the sucker family, apart from the buffalos, commonly found throughout the USA. Spectacular fighters, silver redhorse are a favorite target for anglers who appreciate big, tough-fighting fish. Delicious to eat, challenging to catch, hard-fighting, and beautiful, this species is perhaps one of the most underappreciated of all the great sucker species in north America.""

Phone

Ken,

Phone

When my Late Dad was a lad & food was very short in the war years He took a Barbel home for the table.

He told me it was like eating Cotton Wool with Needles in it.

Silver Redhorse must be very different in that respect then??

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Martin,

As you can see my post is 100% cut and paste.

Buffalo are excellent table fair. I honestly don't ever remember eating redhorse.

Again, cut and paste - ""There are over one hundred species of suckers. The common or white sucker(Catostomus commersoni) is a widespread species throughout much of northern and central North America.""

Phone

Some interesting tips from Tigger. I hadn't really thought of using a rotten bottom in freshwater.

Phone: This is a sucker...

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

^^ wot Tigger said. If it's anything like a Thames weirpool, an inline lead will just wedge itself in the rocks more often than not.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music