Goundbaiting deep river using feeder

The Flying Tench

I've a feeling there may be no easy answer to this one, but here goes. The issue is how to ensure the feed, in river fishing, is where the bait is. In a shallow, slow river it's no problem because, even if the feed leaves the feeder when it smacks the surface, it'll drop near the hook bait. But what can you do in a deep fast river?

When does the feed leave the feeder? I can imagine it happening the moment it hits the surface. Or maybe all the way as it descends. Or maybe not till it hits the bottom, in which case I assume it will stay in the feeder till you strike.

I know part of the answer is that your feed has to have the right consistency, but how do you know whether this is achieved? You wind in. If the feeder is still clogged up with feed you know it's too hard. But if it's empty it could be just right, or it could be it's far too dry and fluffy and has ended up yards downstream of your bait.

Any advice would be welcome.

john clarke

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The obvious answer to getting a bed of bait down is big bait droppers.

I have two with half pint capacity and they're great.

Dropping the bait onto the bed is an entirely different problem.

Feeders are more difficult so I rely on the attraction of a nice stodgy stiff mix and use the the droppers to get a bed of bait down as there's rarely a need to fish at distance in deep water.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Ken is right, however you could also try large orange size balls filled with maggots/casters etc a peg or 2 upstream & let the flow do the work.

Otherwise Ground bait is wasted in the peg you're actually fishing.

Might also use a BANJO feeder in conjunction with above, just to get some titbits near the hook.

Also try & choose a peg on or near a bend where there's a bit of slack water - fish don't like to be in the fast lane all the time.

Worm down the edge is often good as 'owt.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Thanks, Ken

As to distance out, it raises the question of where the fish will be, for which I'll start another thread.

I'm thinking of the middle Thames, and assuming they'll be, say, a third of the way across, say 5 rod lengths. So I'm not sure I trust my ability to cast out quite such a heavy feeder. But nevertheless I'm sure your principle is right - use a bait dropper! I'll start with a much smaller one and work up.

The obvious answer to getting a bed of bait down is big bait droppers.
I have two with half pint capacity and they're great.
Dropping the bait onto the bed is an entirely different problem.
Feeders are more difficult so I rely on the attraction of a nice stodgy stiff mix and use the the droppers to get a bed of bait down as there's rarely a need to fish at distance in deep water.

john clarke

Some interesting thoughts there, Martin. I'd never heard of a banjo feeder, but have looked it up and will get one and give it a try.

Also interesting comment about worm down the edge. Is that particularly with perch in mind?

Some of the time this summer I'm going to try 6mm pellet with 3mm feed. Do you have any views about the best type of feeder for this?

Ken is right, however you could also try large orange size balls filled with maggots/casters etc a peg or 2 upstream & let the flow do the work.

Otherwise Ground bait is wasted in the peg you're actually fishing.

Might also use a BANJO feeder in conjunction with above, just to get some titbits near the hook.

Also try & choose a peg on or near a bend where there's a bit of slack water - fish don't like to be in the fast lane all the time.

Worm down the edge is often good as 'owt.

john clarke

Some interesting thoughts there, Martin. I'd never heard of a banjo feeder, but have looked it up and will get one and give it a try.

Also interesting comment about worm down the edge. Is that particularly with perch in mind?

Some of the time this summer I'm going to try 6mm pellet with 3mm feed. Do you have any views about the best type of feeder for this?

Thanks FT - worm down the edge will cop anything feeding on the balls you dropped in upstream & trickled into your peg.

Here's the PELLET FEEDER you'll need using whetted pellets of course.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiAvKz2lf3iAhXuve0KHUzdC8YYABAKGgJkZw&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESEeD2r72OQaHnD8QAjbzbLn7S&sig=AOD64_2rPDlkVoUR1yKmVRzCkAS8GKhSkQ&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwjQ26b2lf3iAhXXPsAKHdrNCyAQ9aACCDo&adurl=

Thanks, Martin

Is the idea that the feed stays in the feeder and the fish munch it a bit like a method feeder? Or are the wetted pellets meant to come out on the way down

The pellets will stay in the feeder till it hits the bottom & will stay in for a bit depending on how tight you pack it. You really need the pellets to wash out pretty quickly (on a fast river - they will) otherwise you might get false bites with fish knocking the feeder about.

You could also put other offerings in first - packing the pellets in last.

A light flick of the rod tip when in position will help if it's not emptying quick enough.

Tench,

Paylake anglers will not make make money or catch fish if their bait is not capable of performing in the correct manner, in the right amount of time.

IMG_3163-Trout%2BChow1_HDR_focus.jpeg?foIMG_3166-Trout%2BChow2_HDR_focus.jpeg?fo

IMG_3165-Trout%2BChow3_HDR_focus.jpeg?foIMG_3164-Trout%2BChow4_HDR_focus-1.jpeg?

Let me explain pictures 2, 3 and 4,

#2 - the hookbait is a "puff". That is puffed corn cereal and is buoyant.

# 3 - very important - the number of times you squeeze the chow determines the time required for the ball to begin breaking down. I start with 3 or 5 two handed HARD squeezes in flowing water. Seven squeezes will give you about 60 seconds.

#4 - I fish with the puff secured in the pack. If you hair rig for perch (?) you can simply place the hook point in the pack

Not shown - I often used #600 trout chow for "pellets" on a hair.

When purchasing trout chow the higher the protein the more expensive. Didn't seem to matter that much "catching" fish. The higher the protein the "better" health will be for the fish stock.

CREAM CORN TROUT CHOW
  • 3 lb #300 aquamax starter chow (several brands in the US)
  • 1 can cream style corn
  • Add 1 whole can of cream corn, mix thoroughly and allow to set up overnight.

Phone