Goundbaiting deep river using feeder

The Flying Tench

Tench, here's a good tip - if you have the rod set up in quiver & Banjo feeder, slip the feeder off when packing up at end of sesh leaving just the tube bit on the line.

I secure the feeder to the end of the rod handle with an elastic band when packed up instead.

My mate cracked his rod with the feeder still on in his quiver.

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tench please do try ROBIN RED 8 mm pre-drilled pellets, can be banded but best with band pulled into the hole IMO.

Some interesting thoughts there, Martin. I'd never heard of a banjo feeder, but have looked it up and will get one and give it a try.

Also interesting comment about worm down the edge. Is that particularly with perch in mind?

Some of the time this summer I'm going to try 6mm pellet with 3mm feed. Do you have any views about the best type of feeder for this?

These really are the dogs ******** and beat any other pellet every time!! it's a unique flavour, not just colour!!

£5 for nearly a Kg bag & you get loads. (not too dear to even loose feed a bit)

Available also drilled in 12 & 15 mm. The 6 mm & under are not drilled.

Can buy a ROBIN RED spray (about a tenner) to dye/flavour normal-cheaper pellets.

Edited by Martin56

Tench,

The benefit of Robin Red is the capsaicin (pronounced "cap-SAY-a-sin") is the chemical in chili peppers that makes them spicy. Specifically, capsaicin occurs in the fruits of plants in the nightshade family.

I have no clue if it is beneficial as an attractant for perch (although I doubt it).

For most, if not all, cyprids it is natures most powerful attractant. Problem is if multiple anglers are using it in some form the benefits are often offsetting for all the anglers. Capsaicin has the ability to attract common carp up to a mile in laboratory tests.

I agree with Martin, it can be extremely rewarding. You can make your own Robin Red type bait - Just add red pepper seed.

Phone

Edited by Phone

Tench

Your two related posts are somewhat a quandary. Between the two posts you talk about "fish" - mentioning roach and perch specifically.

Targeting fish by species these two are miles apart. My comments deal mainly with carp and similar fish.

In the U.S. the still best bait for "catch anything" anglers is worm

Phone

I know part of the answer is that your feed has to have the right consistency

Hi John. I think the above quote is the answer.

Think of the feeder as just a delivery mechanism for a ball of groundbait. How hard would you squeeze a ball of groundbait if you were throwing it into the river? That's how hard to squeeze it into the feeder.

You'll never know for sure what happens on the way down, unless you can find deep, clear water and watch it. If in doubt, I'd err on the side of caution, squeeze it hard, and then wait til it's on the bottom and strike it out. Do that a few times before actually fishing, and at least you'll know you have some bait down there.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Would a method type feeder work better, using a very tightly packed ground bait? Something like expo takes a long time to come off the frame, and can carry a lot of particles too.

Mat

Mat

Martin, the case for Robin Red admittedly seems strong. My problem is that I've heard similar arguments for other flavours over the years, which has made me hesitant to get drawn in. Could you say a bit more precisely what the benefits for you have been? Has it been mainly for carp, or have you, for example, had more quality roach by using it?

Tench please do try ROBIN RED 8 mm pre-drilled pellets, can be banded but best with band pulled into the hole IMO.

Some interesting thoughts there, Martin. I'd never heard of a banjo feeder, but have looked it up and will get one and give it a try.

Also interesting comment about worm down the edge. Is that particularly with perch in mind?

Some of the time this summer I'm going to try 6mm pellet with 3mm feed. Do you have any views about the best type of feeder for this?

These really are the dogs ******** and beat any other pellet every time!! it's a unique flavour, not just colour!!

£5 for nearly a Kg bag & you get loads. (not too dear to even loose feed a bit)

Available also drilled in 12 & 15 mm. The 6 mm & under are not drilled.

Can buy a ROBIN RED spray (about a tenner) to dye/flavour normal-cheaper pellets.

john clarke

Is it red red in 6+ feet of water?

What about one of those soluble bag doodas? (Never used on myself i am tight!)

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Martin, the case for Robin Red admittedly seems strong. My problem is that I've heard similar arguments for other flavours over the years, which has made me hesitant to get drawn in. Could you say a bit more precisely what the benefits for you have been? Has it been mainly for carp, or have you, for example, had more quality roach by using it?

Tench, yes, the 8 mm & upward are more for Carp (but there's a photo' of an Angler holding a nice Barbel on the bag) so perfect for them as well it says!!

I've had some decent size (1 Lb+) skimmers on the 8 mm & loads of Carp from 2 -12 Lb on them. (a PB for me)

If you're already getting Roach on "Normal" Pellet, then no reason why your catch rate with the Robin Red would change for the worse.

Worth a try at least IMO for the sake of a fiver, band the 4 or 6 mm feed pellets - or drill 'em (not supplied drilled below 8 mm but could drill 'em yourself)

Edited by Martin56

I reckon the main attraction is the very high oil content along with the flavour over "Normal" pellets.