Big rivers in summer - where are the fish?

The Flying Tench

Phone, I see that you havent managed to post any of your own photos from PostImage yet, are you still having problems with posting your own pics?

Martin, I have never tried your Centrepin model but it looks great.

However what makes a good trotting reel is not just the length of time it will spin for; which is the mistake I made when I first bought one many years ago.

Amongst my pins I have a black-cat Centrepin (see pic) that spins for over 3 minutes, but it is not a good trotting Centrepin because of its spool weight it needs a lot of inertia to set it spinning, plus its balance is not quite perfect because as it stops spinning it will roll back and forth a little.

I also have a Black-Cat prototype reel with a central line check from when I was helping a guy who bought the Dyes for the Black¬Cat and was trying to improve its balance back in the early 80s.

I still use my Black-Cat (and its prototype) occasionally for Carp close in and for fishing the lift bite for Tench on a Stillwater so it still occasionally gets used; but not for trotting.

Chub-n-Pin775x600.jpg

My old Black-Cat centrepin

If a Centrepin only takes around 3BB to set it going around, and it will not start to overrun too much when the float slows down (instead carrying on spinning at the same speed); then to my mind thats a good trotting reel. There are other things I look for but thats two of the things that I look for first.

I dont think you need to pay £300 or £400 (or even more) for a working trotting reel; which is what some centrepins sell for, however if I were a serious collector of centrepins (which Im not) I might think about it.

My current favourite trotting workhorse is my Okuma Sheffield which cost me £120 brand new a few years ago but thats not to say that there are not other more cheaper good trotting centrepins out there.

The Okuma Adventa Pro is a very good trotting reel too and it is cheaper than the Sheffield.

KMCentre-Pin600x450.jpg

My Okuma Sheffield

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I joined AN way back in 2005 and one of the first things I asked about was for recommendations of centrepin reels as I wanted one. I had lots of response back then as AN was a bustling forum, and was stuffed with helpfull knowlegable anglers. I'll always remember Jerry (Argyll) sending me a pm telling me the okuma sheffield is great, but the pro was just as good, but cheaper, and the only difference between the two was the face plate. Before i'd seen his message i'd just bought a Richard Carter aerial gem off ebay!

I told him and he said it would be a good investment, and he was right, on all counts.

R.I.P Jerry.

• Like 1

Edward vom Hofe (10) fishing reels 1/0 thur 16/0 - $38,000 (used)

il_794xN.656712011_l36n.jpg

Martin,

You don't "get it". The symbolism and mystique of expensive centrepins (kit in general) is intentionally exactly what you say it is.

Similar to why people say, "money isn't everything" - frankly, it is way ahead of 2nd place. Only the people who don't have money extol the virtues of "equal functionality".

Snobbery appeals to those who what to be "the best of the best".

For example, I report I am one tough son-of-a-gun and NOT a quitter. - That's a true statement.

Phone

(Ohh I smoke)

Have a look at this Vid' below Phone.

" Dave Thomas - How I won the World championship" from 1981.

Have a look at the "Stills" during the Interview & you'll see MY Centrepin. (Not the actual one of course)

It was one of the top reels at the time - Leeds reel - a top Reel from a top city, used by a World Champion.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

For example, I report I am one tough son-of-a-gun and NOT a quitter. - That's a true statement.

Phone

(Ohh I smoke)

That would be between you Breathless Wheezing then!!

(I also smoke lol)

Edited by Martin56

Here's one of my Grice & Young's Pins!!

20190710-191733-1.jpg

Great for still water - only about 4 1/2" so can get your palm on the spool for the big un's!!

Note the line comes off from the top (not from underneath - could never get the hang of that!!)

Edited by Martin56

Here's another 2 views of same.

20190710-191710.jpg

20190710-191648.jpg

Edited by Martin56