Any Tricks For Breathing Life Into Old 12v Batteries?

Elton

I was at an auction last weekend and bid on a mobility scooter, thinking it would be a bit of cheap fun for the kids.

Everything seems to work, but the batteries are flat and I tried to charge them and then put a drop-tester on them and they are kaput. New ones seem bloody expensive.

They are the larger (about 30cm long) 60ah ones, which look like regular car battery size, and are sealed. Is there anything I can do to try to revive them, or do they need to go straight to the scrappy now?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Theres a small chance but an expensive one ,sealed batteries can dry out but its a pain removing the cover.

Know anyone with a smart charger? They can work revitalising batteries but with experience only in 25% of cases as batteries need to be looked after in life their plates are fragile.

I have this one (long in the tooth now) expensive charger but bought when we had a 3 battery motor home to look after the batteries as they dont like the crude charging system in cars so need looking after as deep cycle batteries are very expensive!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Smart-Battery-Charger-Ring-RSC16/dp/B000VZAX7O

We have had the last battery on charge for a decade for emergency tv use in power cuts ,they dont trickle charge (which is the death of batteries) they monitor the voltage ,when it drops it charges it back up

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I'll have a look, next time I get a chance, to see if I can remove the cover to see if the cells are dry. It's worth a try.

Had the new batteries not been so crazily expensive, I'd have binned these ones already, but anything is worth a go right now.

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

I was at an auction last weekend and bid on a mobility scooter, thinking it would be a bit of cheap fun for the kids

And you want us all to believe that! It’s like saying “I’m asking this for a friend.” Or me saying to the wife “I’ve bought this bottle of scotch because I thought it would look nice on the shelf!”

Ha!

I’ve had some good results blasting lithium and NiCad batteries with above volt (i.e. using a 24v charger on 18v batteries) power for a short time to wake them up and there are videos on YouTube how to do same with acid batteries but personally I would avoid following the instructions of the chap who uses a 40amp mig welder!

• Like 1

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

I'm no expert Elton, but why wouldn't a normal car battery work?? (I don't drive)

Might get a bit of fun before recharge??

Not as though the kids will be straying far from the garden & left stranded in middle of nowhere??

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Probably not the same type of use ,car batteries are designed to give big amps for a short period and deep cycle ones small amps for a long while .

Car batteries cannot take their volts taking down under 12.5 ish without stressing the plates whereas deep cycle ones can

I doubt grannie or kids will monitor the volts so a car battery wont enjoy the outings lol

The old trick of using high volts at low amps works for nicads but modern charges use high frequency to desulphate car batteries .

Sometimes lithium batteries go so low the protection circuit cuts in and they cannot be recharged ,plugging in their charger lots of times for 5 seconds a go trick it into charging again but it could take a few hours of doing it!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I bow to your superior knowledge (on this one) Chesters!!

Maybe Elton caught a bit of a cold this time?? - how much £ for the proper battery is too much £ re what he paid for the scooter??

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Probably like buying a second hand printer for a fiver and then realising the ink is expensive and once the inks bought you find it doesnt work! (been there!)

• Like 1

Yeah, the batteries are definitely more than the scooter, although I may be committed now, as the kids are pestering me for a go.

I've got a 24v charger over at my other workshop (I'm still moving premises). I'll try to bring it home next week and give it a try..