Any Tricks For Breathing Life Into Old 12v Batteries?

Elton

Whoops

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Amphours are a capacity on a lable ,amps are current they dont need a lable

Note "requires cranking current up to 1000A" its not 1000Ah ,different things mr bush

I never mentioned the capacity only current

Elton mentioned voltage and i questioned 24v when he had earlier said 12v

As mr bush mention 75Ah is considerable but also very heavy could it be two 7.5Ah batteries? those small sealed 12v batteries senn in many places but light enough to carry to a charger ? In this day and age they are swiftly becoming replaced with lithium cells of many voltages and capacities not a good idea in many cases IMHO i recently replaced my old batteries in one of my drills with lithium and imported a charging pcb that takes the danger away of charging these mini bombs up!

I think doing so stops enterprising people strapping vast 200Ah leisure batteries to their scooters and increasing the range as i would if i had to rely on a scooter ,getting it on a bus though could be amusing for passengers though easpecially if it had a couple more in a trailer i like to make REALLY sure i can get home lol

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Yes, there are two 12v batteries (used to create 24v).

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

AH that explains it ,i thought you maybe putting 24v across a 12v battery ,it can be done with two externally by joining a + to a - and using the other ones to charge normally

If they are joined + to + and - to - its still 12v

Edited by chesters1

• 5 weeks later...

A modern charger can make a difference such as a C tek which desulphurises and helps to regenerate a battery.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just wondering if you sorted this, as my wife has two mobility scooters and an electric wheelchair, all are 24v in 2 x 12v batteries. Each item has different size batteries from the next but if you're not using them for long or going far, any combination of a pair of 12v's will work.

When ours are starting to wear down and require replacing I charge each battery separate with a 12v car charger and this "seems" to prolong the replacement about another 12 months.

I use Ebay for replacements, my last pair around Feb 18 cost £34.75 and are brilliant. Just make sure like a car that the terminals are clean and tight and all wiring in good condition.

Incidentally, the old batteries which are no longer powerful enough for travel get charged periodically and used for 12v power, lighting, phone charging etc, on my daughters allotment. They are light enough to be comfortably carried in one hand. Might be an idea for the bivi boys as second hand scooter batteries are generally given away as it's too much fuss to recycle.

If all else fails, follow the intructions.

• 2 weeks later...

Nope, these seemed to resist all attempts to get them charged. One did take a little charge and I'm hoping to use that one to power a diesel heater.

The scooter is sitting in the barn, another of my "when I get time" projects. I'll probably end up getting new batteries from eBay.

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

Theres a million tricks out there but once they get really dead they are dead!

Modern ones can need refilling ,they still contain fluid that can evaporate most in gel form and if still working can be opened the plugs removed a topped back up but once they are neglected 90+ wont recover .

Modern chargers are the trick so fork out for one with multi stage charging and every month or so pop your batteries on it and let them charge it overnight ,good for car batteries the charging systems in cars are as crude as you can get so give them the occasional charge outside the vehicle to prolong their life

I have so many old batteries around here, I decided in the end to invest in a CTEK MXS 10. It arrived yesterday and I've set it to the recondition mode on a 12v car battery that I'm planning to use to run one of my Chinese diesel heaters (different thread to come regarding that!). It seems to have charged it, so I'll set it off on some of the others this week.

If anyone's interested, this is an affiliate link to the one I got --> https://amzn.to/2LFBZgG

There is a cheaper one that would do most people, the MXS 5, but I do have some larger batteries on trucks here, too, so it should pay for itself over time.

The thing that pushed me to get the wallet out was the fact that the battery warning on the other half's Volvo came up a couple of times. That thing hardly ever gets a good run, so rather than jump straight in and buy a new battery, I'll see if I can save the current one!

That's a lot of pennies for a charger. Don't think I could justify the price for mine as replacements are a fraction of the price. On the caravan I keep a small solar charger plugged in which keeps it topped up.

I too drive a Volvo, it's a 16 plate XC70 and the battery light comes on regular as since I retired I only do short journeys. I've had it from new and Volvo assure me it's 'normal' due to all the electronics on it. If I drive it for more than 2 miles it goes out.

• Like 1
If all else fails, follow the intructions.