Flood information service

Ken L

I'm sure a lot of us use the "Flood information service" on GOV.UK.
Here's my local one at Bewdley.

It's great for checking the height of a river but unfortunately, the folks in charge have decided to play with the page layout again and have removed the normal range data.
Without that, it's impossible to work out how high or low the river is if you're not intimately familiar with a particular gage - A typical summer low river at Bewdley has the river 19cm above the site datum but if you don't know that, the data provided by the gage is useless.

There is regularly an invitation to provide feedback when you access these pages, I suggest people use it.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I remember when it stated the normal level at each station, but they removed that quite some time ago and despite a lot of moaning by anglers they never put it back up in the info.

Do you think that they might have removed it because it made it easier to see when the river was suffering from excessive low levels due to high abstraction levels?

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Do you think that they might have removed it because it made it easier to see when the river was suffering from excessive low levels due to high abstraction levels?

Keith

You could be onto something there Keith.

I use the site a lot, but mainly on local waters that I know. Even then it's difficult to say what the 'normal' level is, it changes with the season, and yearly, with the fluctuation in annual rainfalls. After my long lay off, I've gone to waters and said to anglers that I thought the level was pretty low, those who knew the water better than me, said it was normal. I was looking at it from a distance of about 5 or 6 years, but that wasn't todays normal level. I now check the levels a couple of times a week, take into consideration the rainfall, or lack of, and get a better idea of what the river looks like.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I found this useless waste of ethernet cable

https://riverlevels.uk/wey-tilford#.XRjc_FfTUTc

One time i looked and the water had flowed around the bridge but it never showed on this site!

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I'm not to bothered anymore as I know through expereince the best levels for my style of fishing on my local waters.

The time when it will bother me is if going to a river that I don't know/fish.