Replacing Cork Tape Handle or A New one from Scratch

Martin56

This is the Vid' I used to add cork tape to the handle on my 6 Piece,12 foot, Shimano BX STC 2 & 3/4 Lb test Carp rod.

The 2nd Link is part 2 to finish the job.

https://youtu.be/XkMeBY56Oso

https://youtu.be/_D5-Pzjau-I

Need to look at both to pick out the bits, whether replacing cork tape, or starting from scratch!!

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

I tend to use preformed cork or EVA handles and have good results. I'm about to renew the handle on one of my dad's old match rods as he wants a screw fitting rather than the sliding rings that are currently on there.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Back in the 70s I used to make quite a few of my own rods from scratch using drilled cork 2inch sections for the handles and then sanding them down to the required shape, which was a bit tricky because I didnt have a lathe in those days.

The last couple that I built were from a couple of Jim Gibbinson Clooper Carp rod kits which I bought from Goings Bros of Southend but with a full length cork handle instead of the abbreviated handle.

My rods were not things of great beauty because the ring whipping finishes were not quite as good as the shop built rods but I got a lot of satisfaction and enjoyment from making rods during the closed season and then catching fish on them; and my local tackle shop sold lots of different rod blanks, corks and rings and other rod making bits and pieces, as did most good tackle shops back in those days.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I used to haunt hythe in kent for my bits ,my biggest challenge was putting a handle on a tank arial which was the fad of the time .

No tools except a pocket knife and sandpaper ,my old man never had tools bar a hammer !

• Like 2

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I built two,12 foot float rods in the in the early seventies from Ferrule-less LERC blanks.

One (the first 1) was using drilled cork, the 2nd one was using tape.

I was about 17 at the time & whipped the eyes on myself having watched my Dad do it many times but as Keith says - although making a good Job of that, the "Shop Bought" finish was almost impossible to achieve at home in those days.

No amount of varnish could build up the finish of the modern, generally available epoxies of today.

The rod manufacturers at that time maybe didn't want the likes of us to have it!!

From memory, the front & back cork rings were pre-formed to stop the sliding reel rings from coming off??

Keith, do you remember Matt Foster's (Tommy Ruffe) Beautifully crafted rods on that old forum??

Edited by Martin56
  • Like 1

Keith, do you remember Matt Foster's (Tommy Ruffe) Beautifully crafted rods on that old forum??

Yes he was a dab hand at making rods wasn’t he.

Keith

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Screw reel fittings of the seventies were considered to be cheap & nasty, on Woolworth's type rod kits with reel, (with Clothes line), hooks, shot + a couple of equally cheap & nasty floats etc, aimed mainly at junior anglers.

At least they had the nouse to include a disgorger!! victory.gif - in they vain hope they actually caught one!!!

The world must be riddled with kids who tried it once then gave it up as a bad job - I wonder why!!

Edited by Martin56
  • Like 1