Shore fishing in the med near Nice

Mikench

I really struggle to catch anything here except for a tan. Fishing is poor from the shore and isn't allowed from most harbours where mullet abound. Does anyone know of a good spot anywhere from Menton to Toulon? I chat with the locals and they say the same.

Unless it has changed in recent years; when we sailed into Villefrance just east of Nice; even though it was a very picturesc place the sea all around us was full of untreated human sewerage. I wonder if that has anything to do with the bad fishing along that part of the coast.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I must confess the sea and beaches around Nice through to Antibes, Cannes and Beyond are crystal clear, clean and I have never seen any evidence of filth of any description. I cannot imagine the authorities would allow the cruise shops to discharge effluent in the harbour at Villefranche but who knows. I beloved the med is overfished. You rarely see a school of fish. Locals tell me they have seen a decline in catches for the last 20 years.

I must confess the sea and beaches around Nice through to Antibes, Cannes and Beyond are crystal clear, clean and I have never seen any evidence of filth of any description. I cannot imagine the authorities would allow the cruise shops to discharge effluent in the harbour at Villefranche but who knows. I beloved the med is overfished. You rarely see a school of fish. Locals tell me they have seen a decline in catches for the last 20 years.

Mike, I was not on a cruise ship when we saw the human excrement and loo paper in the sea around us at VilleFranche; I was on the aircraft carrier HMS Eagle way back in the very late 60s and it wasnt from our ship either. We assumed that it was coming from a submerged sewage outflow stretching out from the shore.

But of course that was many years ago and the last time I visited that particular part of the french coast so in your description it seems its no longer like that and hasnt been for a long time, which is good news.

However there are still parts of the Med elsewhere; like the Adriatic Sea around Venice (where I was a few weeks ago on a cruise) that are so polluted that even the locals wouldnt dare to swim less they catch something really bad and I dont mean catching fish either; and its all in the same body of water and getting worse year after year in other places around the Med. Its not really surprising that fishing is slowly deteriorating and even starting to affect the cleaner areas of the Med.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

The sea around the Côte d'Azur is very clean but devoid of fish close in. It's lovely to swim in all year round.

• Like 1

We went to antibe on holidays in the 80's devoid of fish in clear water (as expected) but lots around the rocks where the locals perched with their poles

As to litter just as much as here but under water the sand beaches were machine cleaned every day but the rocks had rubbish in them .

The streets though very clean a water jetted a couple of times a day ,nice place but expensive as the locals think your all wealthy boat owners!

Theres nothing like swimming under water seeing topless gals swimming above you

Johnies bar for drinkies but buy 'pression' forking out for a tiny bottle of the beer of the minute extremenly expensive !

The kids were amused ,first time they ever saw a hole in the ground as a loo and their first nude man on the rocks sunbathing lol

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

The french are now in the 21st century and I haven't seen a squat or a pissoire for years.

Nor have we! we havnt been back

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• 3 months later...

I looked at a high end Century beachcasting rod with the following feature ,

Gearbox Design butt and Autoclave Technology.

I would have asked but was in a hurry. What is that?

I looked at a boat for sale the other day. Now they are a money pit and only for the wealthy. The one behind yours truly was for sale at £900,000. I could have just afforded the tender. Most of these boats in Antibes rarely move so are a waste of money but a big status symbol. Might be good fishing from one though.

IMG-4480.jpg

IMG-4481.jpg

• Like 1