Verminous insects!

Tigger

If your ivy was out in the open and especially if there are livestock near by, I'd lay odds on the bites being from horseflies. Otherwise, Segestria florentina is a good candidate.

I'm often bitten by cleggs Ken, it deffo wasn't them.

Whatever they are, I hate the barstewards!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try Nippon wasp killer powder Ian. It works and kills the nest as the wasps unwittingly carry it inside. Identify where the nest is and spray early evening when the wasps are less active then go indoors. I've had two nests so far and this stuff has got rid of the problem.

The garden has been full of butterflies thankfully which are welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6HmB4MvAGw

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

You don't need to be anywhere near horses to find stable flies. Stable flies are prone to bite at ankle level. You will know if you have been bitten by a stable fly. It hurts.

And mentioning the word sock set it at ankle level but they will bite anywhere and yes it does hurt but nothing compared to a horse fly !boy they are nasty !

When we were clearing a field of vines in france we kept getting bitten and blamed some rather big wasp like things biting or stinging but after a while i got bitten on the back of the hand and the fly responsible was tiny but certainly had a punch!

We attracted half of frances beasts the vines were covered in grapes and the juice got everywhere !

I react badly to mozzie bites and swell up ,my favourite pastime is to sit having a cider after cutting the lawn with my uv zapper near to me hearing them burst ,its not one of that silly hexagon hanging ones (that never attract flies only moths) but one with real uv producing tubes commercial ones that actually work i hang it on the tree behind me

Not sure why they dont hang them in africa to kill mozzies the bodies would make protein to feed those half starved donkeys i am sure 12v batteries on solar panels could work them but i guess not having malaria would be bad for business in the charridy field?

They could even put them in cakes and pass them off a eccles cakes ,probably better for you aswell

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

And mentioning the word sock set it at ankle level but they will bite anywhere and yes it does hurt but nothing compared to a horse fly !boy they are nasty !

When we were clearing a field of vines in france we kept getting bitten and blamed some rather big wasp like things biting or stinging but after a while i got bitten on the back of the hand and the fly responsible was tiny but certainly had a punch!

We attracted half of frances beasts the vines were covered in grapes and the juice got everywhere !

I react badly to mozzie bites and swell up ,my favourite pastime is to sit having a cider after cutting the lawn with my uv zapper near to me hearing them burst ,its not one of that silly hexagon hanging ones (that never attract flies only moths) but one with real uv producing tubes commercial ones that actually work i hang it on the tree behind me

Not sure why they dont hang them in africa to kill mozzies the bodies would make protein to feed those half starved donkeys i am sure 12v batteries on solar panels could work them but i guess not having malaria would be bad for business in the charridy field?

They could even put them in cakes and pass them off a eccles cakes ,probably better for you aswell

Stable flies mostly bite the lower legs. As soon as you mentioned socks it was a dead giveaway.

Don't stay to close to your bug zapper. Every time one of them get's zapped it sprays an aerosol of its innards including all the bacteria.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Its about 10 feet behind me and i promise to drink the cider before the bacteria overwhelm whats already in it lol

Dusk is my favourite time of the day !hopefully its the least favourite for visiting midges and mozzies

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Its about 10 feet behind me and i promise to drink the cider before the bacteria overwhelm whats already in it lol

That is close enough. You will be breathing it in.

I would rather a wee bite than a dose of Salmonella, Cryptosporium or E.coli but you are welcome to my share.

Edited by corydoras

That is close enough. You will be breathing it in.

I would rather a wee bite than a dose of Salmonella, Cryptosporium or E.coli but you are welcome to my share.

Stick it in an envelope and send it to your MP

Its no more danger than flushing your bog with face towels or toothbrushes exposed ,the only difference is its probably your own bacteria so you maybe immune!i trust you dont visit toilets not yours though you maybe getting all three without the fun of hearing the thing that put it on the doorhandle to the outside bursting!

Edited by chesters1

Stick it in an envelope and send it to your MP

Its no more danger than flushing your bog with face towels or toothbrushes exposed ,the only difference is its probably your own bacteria so you maybe immune!i trust you dont visit toilets not yours though you maybe getting all three without the fun of hearing the thing that put it on the doorhandle to the outside bursting!

Prove it!

Prove it!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16033465/

As for hospital visits its better to rub alcohol on your hands leaving aswell as entering ! Full of sick people you know

Unfortunately you cannot breath it in to kill any germs in your lungs you may have picked up from half of the worlds people living here in those moist conditions but there you go

I often wonder just how filtered the air warm air is coming out those vents and where it has been ! Legionella is waiting for some poorly paid filter cleaner not to do his job as we speak

Edited by chesters1

Prove it!

An interesting line of attack given that you have just indicated that there is a significant risk of "a dose of Salmonella, Cryptosporium or E.coli" associated with bug zappers without a shred of evidence to support the claim.

The US FDA do recommend that they are not used above food preparation areas but best of luck demonstrating a causal link to pathogenic contamination.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.