Verminous insects!

Tigger

This year must have suited the local insects, well at least the wasps, house flies, bluebottless and every other biting insect there is round these parts!

I've got four large plastic milk cartons set up as traps for the wasps which are swarming around them in their hundreds!! Luckily the traps are working and there are lots of them drowning inside the bottles. They just keep coming though!

You could say why am I bothering, but I keep parrots and they have pots full of fresh fruit and veg everyday which the wasps have been swarming on. Obviously this is a nasty situation.

The wasps have also been coming in the house along with the flies...it's a constant battle with the effin insect world.

Last Friday I trimmed a privet hedge and a fence covered in ivy....whatever it was that bit me left enough toxic ingredients in me for the bites to still be itching like hell. I wouldn't mind but usually bug bite hardly effect me. Even recently when bitten by horse flies their bites haven't bothered me after.

Those ivy bugs are serious biters!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try Nippon wasp killer powder Ian. It works and kills the nest as the wasps unwittingly carry it inside. Identify where the nest is and spray early evening when the wasps are less active then go indoors. I've had two nests so far and this stuff has got rid of the problem.

The garden has been full of butterflies thankfully which are welcome.

I've no idea where the nest is Mike. If I knew where it was i'd just go and dig them out and get the grubbs for fishing. We were always looking for wasps nest when I was an early teen, wasp grub was always my best chub bait on still waters! Carp also go beserk for the grubs.

There are literally hundreds of them drowned in my traps, shame for em, but my birds are more important to me than a hoard of stingin wasps.

This year must have suited the local insects, well at least the wasps, house flies, bluebottless and every other biting insect there is round these parts!

I've got four large plastic milk cartons set up as traps for the wasps which are swarming around them in their hundreds!! Luckily the traps are working and there are lots of them drowning inside the bottles. They just keep coming though!

You could say why am I bothering, but I keep parrots and they have pots full of fresh fruit and veg everyday which the wasps have been swarming on. Obviously this is a nasty situation.

The wasps have also been coming in the house along with the flies...it's a constant battle with the effin insect world.

Last Friday I trimmed a privet hedge and a fence covered in ivy....whatever it was that bit me left enough toxic ingredients in me for the bites to still be itching like hell. I wouldn't mind but usually bug bite hardly effect me. Even recently when bitten by horse flies their bites haven't bothered me after.

Those ivy bugs are serious biters!

Last time ix checked wasps, bluebottles and houseflies didn't bite.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

One does someone on here pointed it out when i mentioned it some time ago the bugger bit me through my sock! And it was certainly indoors!

Stable fly? Thats a horses house!

We have screen doors front and back (and on some windows) unfortunately we have grand kids who constantly leave them open!

No wasps this year the chesteron has had a few outings and a dozen or so queens flattened on the fence in the spring knawing wood with their bitey mandibles

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

If your ivy was out in the open and especially if there are livestock near by, I'd lay odds on the bites being from horseflies. Otherwise, Segestria florentina is a good candidate.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

If your ivy was out in the open and especially if there are livestock near by, I'd lay odds on the bites being from horseflies. Otherwise, Segestria florentina is a good candidate.

Unlikely unless one is poling ones little digits inotplaces the should not be. One can easily tell a spider bite from an insect bite. Insects leave one little red puncture wound, spiders leave two.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

One does someone on here pointed it out when i mentioned it some time ago the bugger bit me through my sock! And it was certainly indoors!

Stable fly? Thats a horses house!

We have screen doors front and back (and on some windows) unfortunately we have grand kids who constantly leave them open!

No wasps this year the chesteron has had a few outings and a dozen or so queens flattened on the fence in the spring knawing wood with their bitey mandibles

You don't need to be anywhere near horses to find stable flies. Stable flies are prone to bite at ankle level. You will know if you have been bitten by a stable fly. It hurts.

Have you never had a stinging pain and looked to see a house fly landed on you?

I think they spew acid onto your skin and then try to eat it. Not a bite, but similar.