Float legering

Mikench

I find this an enjoyable way to fish either by fishing over depth or using a Polaris / equivalent float. I also use a free running lead, with a sliding float.

What do other folks use and do they have a favoured rig.

The nearest method to float legering that I have used is when I’m using the lift method after Tench, and I love using that method.

Keith

• Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Polaris is great for fishing at range in gravel pits with many bars and hollows. Not just float legering, but float paternoster also, so that your bait is a fixed distance from the bottom, whatever the depth - a method particularly good for perch.

• Like 1

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

About the only time I do it is when fishing backwaters for pike in the winter when the river is up.

Having the line coming up almost vertically from the business end keeps it out of the snags and the current will tighten the line to the float for bite indication.
I may very well do the same thing scaled down if I decide to target perch and zander on the Avon this winter - possibly with a paternoster/dropshot rig of some sort.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

About the only time I do it is when fishing backwaters for pike in the winter when the river is up.

Having the line coming up almost vertically from the business end keeps it out of the snags and the current will tighten the line to the float for bite indication.

I may very well do the same thing scaled down if I decide to target perch and zander on the Avon this winter - possibly with a paternoster/dropshot rig of some sort.

Like Ken; I have used a sunken float when I’m fishing down the edge of a large deep hole or a sunken bar on a gavel pit for Pike. This helps to keep my line in a vertical angle and away from gravel sides of holes or bars and free from any weed and any other snags too.

Keith

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Nope, I'm lot using a sunken float. The float is still my indicator.

• Like 1

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

When I used to fish the rivers, I often used a well over shotted & overdepth float (biggish porcupine) held back against the current in the rests. The float sank when I let it go downstream, but a very good method for what WE up here call Laying On.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!