River ledgering - mono or braid

The Flying Tench

All,

Best of the best but not available just yet due to back orders and demand.

Power Pro Super8Slick V2 Braided Line MoonShine

Phone

Ohh 100 (maybe 125 yards?) $30.00

I'd rather stick to daiwa sensor, 8 quid for a bulk spool containing about 2 plus miles in 6lb !

• Like 1

Thanks, Gozzer

I think you've put your finger on the problem. I was half wondering this myself. The pre-stretched hooks to nylon I have been using are 'Band-its', as I find them very handy for fishing pellet. They are 4 lbs breaking strain to 14 hook.

Yes, I could use a mono leader, or maybe Martin's power gum approach, but I think while flow levels are low the simplest thing might be to go back to using mono main line.

Thanks for the help

JOhn

Hi John, if you are using a pre-stretched hook length, as well as braid, then the only 'give' you have is in the bend of the rod, so the hook length will be prone to snapping off if you strike into even a moderate sized fish, especially if at a relatively short distance. Personally, I would use a mono leader to compensate.

You don't say what the bs of the hook length is. When I have used a pre-stretched hook length, I have upped the bs, so that instead of say, a normal 3lb bs hook length, I would use one the same diameter, which would have a greater breaking strain, which reduces the chance of a break off.

John

john clarke

Thanks, Gozzer

I think you've put your finger on the problem. I was half wondering this myself. The pre-stretched hooks to nylon I have been using are 'Band-its', as I find them very handy for fishing pellet. They are 4 lbs breaking strain to 14 hook.

Yes, I could use a mono leader, or maybe Martin's power gum approach, but I think while flow levels are low the simplest thing might be to go back to using mono main line.

Thanks for the help

JOhn

I hope that you get it sorted out John.

I cannot get on with braid, it's just a personal thing, but I can see the advantage that more direct contact can have on line pick up, especially at a distance. Those I know who do use braid, tend to use a bs of 10lb or above, (10lb is still around the thickness of 4lb mono), then either a mono leader of around 4lb, attached to the hook length, or straight to the mono hook length itself.

Let us know how you get on.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Id go back to mono John, I like braid for some things but if youre cracking off its not worth it.

Mono is very forgiving - they didn't make it down to 4 oz BS for nothing - I've never gone below a 1.7 pound hook length though.

Maybe the line makers were just showing off what they could do re the 4 oz rather than a proper application??

Anything below 1 Lb is asking for trouble except for bleak/willow blade snatching IMO.

(Are bleak & willow blades the same thing??)

Answers on a post card please!!

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Gozzer, you kindly asked me to let you know how I got on. For what it's worth I used mono yesterday and didn't get any breaks - though I realise one trip doesn't prove a lot. I was pleased to get a 12oz roach, my best so far from the Thames, though of course my sights are on a bigger one!

I hope that you get it sorted out John.

I cannot get on with braid, it's just a personal thing, but I can see the advantage that more direct contact can have on line pick up, especially at a distance. Those I know who do use braid, tend to use a bs of 10lb or above, (10lb is still around the thickness of 4lb mono), then either a mono leader of around 4lb, attached to the hook length, or straight to the mono hook length itself.

Let us know how you get on.

John.

• Like 1

john clarke

Gozzer, you kindly asked me to let you know how I got on. For what it's worth I used mono yesterday and didn't get any breaks - though I realise one trip doesn't prove a lot. I was pleased to get a 12oz roach, my best so far from the Thames, though of course my sights are on a bigger one!

A PB for a water is classed as a win in my book John, especially if it's the targeted species as well.thumbs.gif

I read your blog, and it seems that you've got it sussed out, the only thing is to increase the bite to hooked fish ratio.

I had a similar problem during a trip to the Yorkshire Ouse last month. I was targeting roach like you, but on the float. I like to loose feed hemp, even if I'm not using it as hook bait. I fed the hemp, along with maggot, and had maggot on the hook. I started getting a bite a chuck, like you, missing most bites, and the fish I did get were very small. Whether the rest were biting short, or attacking the shot mistakenly thinking it was hemp, I'm not sure. I changed my shotting pattern to strings of smaller shot as opposed to single larger ones, this resulted in a slightly better number of hook ups, but still small fish. I usually use tares in a situation like this, but have struggled to get any recently. I tried tying hempseed to the hook, but it was useless. I then tried some sweetcorn, this resulted in some slide away bites and the occasional better roach, up to about 8oz, but still lots of missed bites. After changing hook sizes, with no change in catch rate, I started cutting the sweetcorn kernels in pieces until the catch rate improved, and then settled on an optimum size for the bait. I continued to catch roach in the 4 to 8oz bracket until I got a visit from several pike. After the first strike, I wasted a couple of hours playing several pike that had taken hooked fish, only for them to continually release the roach at the net. I continued to take roach spasmodically in between playing with the pike, a couple of which had distinctive marks/scars, so I know that there were at least three pike.

On inspecting my keepnet at the end of the session, much to my surprise I saw that I had well over 20lb of fish, 90% roach, with a few added perch, dace and chublets.

It's the first time I've cut sweetcorn down to increase bites, and I must (reluctantly), admit that reading about carp anglers fishing overstocked commercials, using 'cornskins' as bait when 'bagging up', played a large part in my decision to do it. (hangs head in shame).

I don't know if this would work fishing the feeder, but it might be something to bear in mind, if a similar situation crops up John.

John.

Edited by gozzer
  • Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Thanks for that tip John, never heard of corn skins as bait - makes perfect sense now you've mentioned it!!

It suggests that the skins (with no Kernel) have been in the peg for a while & are therefore safe to eat.

Same with soaked pellets - the "washed out" effect makes them look old & sometimes work better than hard, new pellets.

Will Deffo' give it a go this Sunday at Kippax. thumbs.gif

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

• 1 month later...

Hi John

Thank you for this helpful reply which I've only just read. I've been away for the past 2 weeks, and I don't know what happened before that.

For all the times I've fished sweetcorn I've never thought of fishing bits instead of a whole kernel. Will certainly try it, and it should be useful on a week's trip to the Blavet in Brittany leaving next Monday!

John

A PB for a water is classed as a win in my book John, especially if it's the targeted species as well.thumbs.gif

I read your blog, and it seems that you've got it sussed out, the only thing is to increase the bite to hooked fish ratio.

I had a similar problem during a trip to the Yorkshire Ouse last month. I was targeting roach like you, but on the float. I like to loose feed hemp, even if I'm not using it as hook bait. I fed the hemp, along with maggot, and had maggot on the hook. I started getting a bite a chuck, like you, missing most bites, and the fish I did get were very small. Whether the rest were biting short, or attacking the shot mistakenly thinking it was hemp, I'm not sure. I changed my shotting pattern to strings of smaller shot as opposed to single larger ones, this resulted in a slightly better number of hook ups, but still small fish. I usually use tares in a situation like this, but have struggled to get any recently. I tried tying hempseed to the hook, but it was useless. I then tried some sweetcorn, this resulted in some slide away bites and the occasional better roach, up to about 8oz, but still lots of missed bites. After changing hook sizes, with no change in catch rate, I started cutting the sweetcorn kernels in pieces until the catch rate improved, and then settled on an optimum size for the bait. I continued to catch roach in the 4 to 8oz bracket until I got a visit from several pike. After the first strike, I wasted a couple of hours playing several pike that had taken hooked fish, only for them to continually release the roach at the net. I continued to take roach spasmodically in between playing with the pike, a couple of which had distinctive marks/scars, so I know that there were at least three pike.

On inspecting my keepnet at the end of the session, much to my surprise I saw that I had well over 20lb of fish, 90% roach, with a few added perch, dace and chublets.

It's the first time I've cut sweetcorn down to increase bites, and I must (reluctantly), admit that reading about carp anglers fishing overstocked commercials, using 'cornskins' as bait when 'bagging up', played a large part in my decision to do it. (hangs head in shame).

I don't know if this would work fishing the feeder, but it might be something to bear in mind, if a similar situation crops up John.

John.

john clarke