River ledgering - mono or braid

The Flying Tench

Carp anglers, lure anglers and many anglers who trot at a distance use braid for differing reasons. But what about feeder fishing on a river for roach and dace and the hope of an occasional bream or chub?

Recently I've been using braid. I like the fact that, being thinner, it reduces the drag on the line; and I think it gives clearer indication of bites, particularly subtle ones. But I've had a couple of line breaks recently that took me by surprise as I didn't think the pull on the line was enough to cause a break. Could it have been that, with no stretch in the braid, a sudden jerk was enough to cause a break whereas with mono the stretch would have absorbed the shock? In addition I was using a hook to nylon, and I think these are low diameter lines that also have no stretch.

That's just one aspect. What line do you use for general purpose ledgering, and why?

john clarke

I hate the stuff wheres the fun in hog tying a fish with line ten times its weight ,give me the fun of using 20 year old mono any time ,much more fun when you land the fish with a bit of daring

I have never used a breaking strain above 20lb and thats boat fishing lol

I use 3lb for anything up to tench ,5lb for tench and similar ,10lb carp 15Lb for pike ,last bought line 2 decades ago

Whilst braid maybe good boat fishing being thinner in tides i dont know the knots so stick to mono

Is fishing coming to the stage cheap rods are almost unbreakable in natural use and line never snaps under strain of a decent fish and the fish sit shoulder to shoulder in ponds waiting to be caught,hardly worth doing imho some of the rods i see around carp puddles make beachcasters look frail!

I have hear some people actually demand or at least expect to catch fish everytime they drag their gear outside! Some sort of modern 'entitlement' the young appear to demand in everything today

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 2

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I doubt your line cracked off because of the jerk, more likely it was pulled sharply against an object in the river. If I were you i'd stick to mono unless fishing a rock/snag free river.

Imo, braid can be good if you carfully choose the waters you plan to use it.

Regarding trotting with it, i've used it on a number of occassions but I didn't like it, the negatives outweighed the positives for me.

• Like 2

To back up what Ian said about the abrasive resistance of braid.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=abvasive+resistance+of+fishing+lines&view=detail&mid=179C7630D19D0C338441179C7630D19D0C338441&FORM=VIRE

It would probably be different if you used a similar diameter for both, but you'd lose the advantages you get from the thinner braid.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

That video compared 20lb braid vs 20lb mono. I suspect the result might be very different if the comparison were between braid and mono of the same diameter.

Anyone got time to do a Google search?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

That video compared 20lb braid vs 20lb mono. I suspect the result might be very different if the comparison were between braid and mono of the same diameter.

Anyone got time to do a Google search?

Here's a pretty crude one Steve, it compares a like for like diameter test, and as I suggested in my post, the braid lasted better.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=abvasive+resistance+of+fishing+lines&&view=detail&mid=BA4967CB2794C1DDC22ABA4967CB2794C1DDC22A&rvsmid=179C7630D19D0C338441179C7630D19D0C338441&FORM=VDRVRV

But much of the appeal of braid is it's smaller diameter, along with it's lack of stretch, so you would obviously lose at least some of the advantages of using braid in the first place.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Sorry, I wasn't clear. The breaks occurred near the hook in the (pre-stretched?) hook to nylon. The braid was 6lb breaking strain.

I get the impression most people use mono for general ledgering, as you haven't said otherwise?

Thanks for replies so far.

john clarke

Sorry, I wasn't clear. The breaks occurred near the hook in the (pre-stretched?) hook to nylon. The braid was 6lb breaking strain.

I get the impression most people use mono for general ledgering, as you haven't said otherwise?

Thanks for replies so far.

Hi John, if you are using a pre-stretched hook length, as well as braid, then the only 'give' you have is in the bend of the rod, so the hook length will be prone to snapping off if you strike into even a moderate sized fish, especially if at a relatively short distance. Personally, I would use a mono leader to compensate.

You don't say what the bs of the hook length is. When I have used a pre-stretched hook length, I have upped the bs, so that instead of say, a normal 3lb bs hook length, I would use one the same diameter, which would have a greater breaking strain, which reduces the chance of a break off.

John

I've never used Braid, mainly because it was unheard of in MY river fishing days & secondly because it's banned on a lot of the commies I fish.

You could try using an Elasticated Feeder should you wish to persist with the braid?? That would give you a bit of "Give" on the strike/bite.

https://youtu.be/PaEDpa780w4

Mono is much more forgiving when the fish I go for, (commie Carp) want to pull the rod in most of the time.

PS - Pinking scissors from a sewing shop are as good as Braid scissors (I lied a bit, I once tried some Berkeley Fireline a few yr's ago on hol's)

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Tench - here's a Vid' on how to elasticate your own feeders using "Power Gum" - probably more in line with the more delicate approach required for Roach, chub & bream rather than the very strong elastic in my post above this one.

https://youtu.be/Ga6wjZbrpI4

Or, you COULD just replace the thick elastic for thinner stuff.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!