Fake baits

Mikench

I have never caught anything using fake maggots, corn, bread, casters or worm. I suspect that my lack of confidence in them and thus my impatience if I don't catch within an hour, plays a part. Yesterday I tried fake corn and left the bait out for at least 45 minutes without a nibble. The corn was of the floating variety and hair rigged. Exasperated I reeled in switched to a hybrid feeder with a pellet and immediately caught a carp.

Are some better than others and do they require a different approach to the real version?

I have never caught anything using fake maggots, corn, bread, casters or worm. I suspect that my lack of confidence in them and thus my impatience if I don't catch within an hour, plays a part. Yesterday I tried fake corn and left the bait out for at least 45 minutes without a nibble. The corn was of the floating variety and hair rigged. Exasperated I reeled in switched to a hybrid feeder with a pellet and immediately caught a carp.

Are some better than others and do they require a different approach to the real version?

I think you'd be more successful with the fake bait by "Loose Feeding" the real thing & then dropping your Fake hook bait among it.

The fish will then take it among all the confusion & competition.

Reckon that's how fake bait is meant to be used??

Also read the Fishery Rules - Plastic/Fake baits are very often Banned (it's the digestion/Ingestion of plastic issue which is harmful to fish should it come off the hook & be swallowed)

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Fake baits are really, really good in some circumstances. For example, if you want to avoid lots of little fish and target fish which feed by hoovering the bottom, or if you want to leave a bait out for a long time and know for sure it wont fall off or be nibbles off.

Other times, a real bait may well be better.

Ive caught a lot of tench, bream and carp on fake baits. Usually fished hair rigged with a pva bag over groundbait/loosefeed. The bait isnt important in these circumstances as the fish you want just hoover the whole area and your pva bag us a focal point. Theres a post by me on here somewhere where I caught a tench on a hair rigged twig.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Yes I ended up using fake baits almost exclusively at Wingham, and other local gravel pits, when fishing for tench/carp/bream. The other thing I forgot to say is that because they are naturally buoyant, they are even more likely to be sucked up when a fish is hoovering the area. I used to use groundbait with lots of different, small items in it, so it was a nice fine, attractive layer on the bottom, The PVA bag was then a focal point and one suck would inhale the lot. What's on the hair is irrelevant, although I was never brave enough to fish a bare hook (although Budgie swore it would work and I do believe him!).

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I suppose if the bare hook was laying in amongst the groundbait etc budgies is right and there is always a chance a fish could unwittingly suck it in, as one did with your twig ! :).

I have caught loads of rudd on bare hooks as I let the hook fall tgrough the water, different scenariio I know as the rudd were actually seeing the hook and sucking it it purposely.

The waters which I tench fish arn't anything like as productive as Wingham and the fake bait doesn't seem to work so good when targetting lone fish.

I actually like fishing fake baits when fishing for low stock fish, just because you tend to leave baits out for long periods of time without recasting or checking the bait. With a fake bait, you can be confident that it's safe to leave it as long as necessary.

I've tried em on two waters and had no luck. I tried both maggots and corn in fake baits, maybe it was just just sods law, but as soon as I used real bait I got fish.

When I said i've tried them on two waters, I meant i've made serious attempts on two waters, I have tried them on a few different waters though.

Also, most of the waters i've fished arn't really fishable using leger tacticts which I imagine is the method where fakes would be most suited.

Edited by Tigger

I think fake baits work best when theres a shoal and the resulting competition to grab what you can before someone else does.

I have used them over a bed of corn with little success in less competitive situations but you get the occasional bite but more suspicious i think ,the lift method best in those circumstances.

Never had anything on fake maggots or worms though only corn

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson