Ridiculous examples of modern fishing tackle.

wellyphant

Hi Stephen, good to see you back visiting the board. I trust you are keeping well?

When you said 'distance sticks'. it brought back memories of the 'Stonz' thread, and the debate that followed a similar line to this one. The amount of 'development' and 'research', that went into producing this ground breaking, must have, piece of equipment, ie a pebble with a swivel glued to it!

I'm not much good at finding stuff on here, but If I can I will post a link, I thought it was funny, but that might just be me!

John.

Found it!

https://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/2835135-i-got-a-wieght-issue/?hl=stonz

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Hi Stephen, good to see you back visiting the board. I trust you are keeping well?

John.

Found it!

https://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/2835135-i-got-a-wieght-issue/?hl=stonz

I'm not to bad at the moment. I had a few issues over the last 2 years and had to take 6 months of work and had a number of heart operations. I am now the proud owner of 2 mechanical heart valves. I did ask the surgeon for camo ones but not sure if he gave them to me or not. I do like to think they are DPM or Realtree.

I enjoyed re-reading some of that thread. I will read a bit more latter, we certainly used to have some good fun threads.

I only just returned to fishing a few weeks ago and so hopefully will pop in to Anglers Net a bit more. Coincidently, the first water I visited was a local water that I had not visited for over 20 years that is suppossed to now have a few cats in but is mainly a carp water. I was after the cats as its a species I always wanted to fish for but never really found the time for. As, I gave up all my old tickets, I should have some time for them now.

Anyway, the bailiff on this water recommend stonze and chod rogs as the water was weedy and had a lot of silt. Apparently stonze will not sink in to the silt as much as ordinary weights. I never checked to see if they sold stonze or similar stones in the on-site tackle shop. But lots of people were fishing chod rigs or bolt rigs with stonze.

Any way my preference is for square leads for no other reason then I like the shape. Sorry, I should have used the correct carp term "Dice"

When, I was sorting my tackle, I did find some "stonze" in the shed. I can't remember buying them or being given them. Going through tackle that has not been used or seen for 2 years can be both messy and interesting. The amount of things I looked at and thought. Why? What did I think I was doing? And no, it certainly was not me who bought the stonze.

• Like 2

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Those old round floats (now called controllers?) Used to be good in silt you opened both caps and completely filled them ,they were heavy in air but in water they were light so didnt sink much in the silt .

I suspect but never bothered trying you could put some dust shot in aswell to give a little more weight in air and water ,you could adjust it by leaving an air bubble

When i was a lad weights were expensive so we experimented ,ice cubes were good but those old flasks didnt keep them ice for long ,stones with holes were ok and today you could drill your own not alot would make a hole back then and i amagine it would be amusing watching them fly across the room using a breast drill lol

A sand filled sock would work but i advise using a clean one !

PS dont use black piano keys for floats you will be disapointed after all the effort of whittling them down !

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

When i was a lad weights were expensive so we experimented ,ice cubes were good but those old flasks didnt keep them ice for long ,stones with holes were ok and today you could drill your own not alot would make a hole back then and i amagine it would be amusing watching them fly across the room using a breast drill lol

A sand filled sock would work but i advise using a clean one !

PS dont use black piano keys for floats you will be disapointed after all the effort of whittling them down !

I did go through a phase where I used old spark plugs as weights when chucking a deadbait across a lake; because I was young and wasnt earning a crust at that time.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I rather like those distance sticks, not so keen on the over fity quid part. Even if they were extremly cheap, I'm not sure I would buy actual "distance sticks" when something else would suffice. However, from using sticks before I have struggled to find them to measure out my line :rolleyes: Even with bank sticks, some times I have really had to try to find them. That might say more about my eye site then anything else but using something that is easy to see is a good idea unless you are a secret squirrel and dont want some one else working out the distance to your spot.

I have a couple of those pen rods for using on holiday when I dont want to take any tackle but at the same time want something just in case. Are anglers ever not fishing in their heads and getting stuff for just in case? I have one pen reel loaded with 25lb braid and one with 2lb line. With the braid, I often end up hand lining biggish fish as you have little actual control with big fish. I just like the idea of using a rod as an actual small hand line would work better but often fishing is how you catch and not actually what you catch.

Hey Dales, great to see you back posting :).

Hey Dales, great to see you back posting :).

Likewise Dales, great to see you back.

Keith

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Great to see you back, Dales, and on the mend after what must have been a difficult time.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Thanks everyone, it's good to be back.

• Like 1

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Dales,

I'm not particularly pleased you are back. Your posts make so much more sense than my drivel I'm not sure I can "up my game" to your level.

However, I look forward to your contributions.

Phone

• Like 2

Does anyone remember flavoured PVA bags? I think they were called Flavour'em. They were supposed to have flavouring in the actual PVA as fish would be put off the bitter taste of PVA laugh.png I think they were all fruit flavoured, strawberry etc.

Ok, I almost get the idea of putting flavouring in the PVA material but also why would you when you plan to add your own inside the bag. I love PVA bags, mesh, tape, string, nuggets. I love it all but I never bought "flavoured PVA"

Don't know if its still a thing but I though of this thread when I ordered a load of mesh from ebay. What stuck in my mind about it was the claims they made despite the actual facts. Lets ignore that millions of fish have been caught using PVA bags, the fish may be put off by the bitter taste!

How do they know fish find PVA bitter? and if they do a lot seem to like the bitter taste.

PVA is an amzing addition to modern angling/tackle but like everything some companies take it to far with their marketing and making unnecessary "improvements" to get a few more bucks.

Best of all, I remember one of the advertising slogans. It went along the lines of it does not matter what flavoured offerings you put in the bag the fish will not be put off and still be attracted to the flavouring of the bag. It's the bag that attracts the fish.It does rather beg the question, why put anything in the bag if its flavouring of the bag that attracts the fish. Plus why make a bag if you dont need to add anything, why not just a nugget of supper flavoured PVA.

BITTER TASTING PVA Wonderful, flavoured just a bit ridiculous. Well the claims about bitter PVA certainly are.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Species Caught 2013

Species Caught 2012
Species Caught 2011
Species Caught 2010
Species Caught 2009
Species Caught 2008
Species Caught 2007