Ridiculous examples of modern fishing tackle.

wellyphant

I was fishing a local gravel pit last year and the guy in a neighboring swim came over to talk at me, and show me his special hooks. He said he orders them specially and they cost £1 a hook because they're hand-sharpened and then packaged individually. Sharpest hooks in the world, he reckoned.

Honestly, some people just deserve to get ripped off. I showed him my hook sharpener, which cost a few quid, but he wasn't interested. The hooks he had were also straight point rather than beaked, so they'd have got dulled on the gravel anyway, and he had no way of sharpening them once the point had gone. Probably spent more on hooks over a season than bait, tickets and petrol!

Theres one born every minute I hear ?

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

A guy in the next swim to me last Monday caught well and when I asked him what bait he was using he said smoked salmon. The venue was near Alderley Edge but that is the limit.

I was fishing down the warren in folkestone (sea fishing) and talking to a chap whilst waiting for a bite i asked him what bait he was using ,he held up a packet of those sour bootlace shaped sweets brilliant they are he said ,how much have you caught on them i asked ,nothing he replied but the chap that told me about them said he caught loads! DOH!

At least he didnt frickin catch dogfish like i did mind you he didnt catch anything at lall!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Catching dogfish almost put me off sea fishing; horrible things. The flesh is sold as rock salmon I believe and whilst I've tried it I wasn't impressed.

I can’t rem3mber what I used but it wasn’t silly gear but they are difficul5 to avoid and to unhook.

It's not just the 'modern' angler that gets offered these 'wonderful' pieces of 'must have' gadgetry, it happened back in the day as well.

The 'self striking' rod rest, that jerked your rod up in reply to something pulling on the line.

The 'clock work' reel, that played the fish for you, increasing tension when a fish ran, and reducing it as it tired. I suppose a pole elastic does the same thing, but without the complicated mechanics.

In my mind the 'piece de resistance' was, The Mabby. I don't know how many older anglers will remember these things, it must have been in the mid to late 60s. I remember a full page advert for them in one of the angling papers, endorsed by no less that Mr Ivan Marks. It was a feeding system for rivers. It consisted of a boat, with a number of small holes in the base, these could be adjusted to allow a desired feed rate. It had a clear top, and you put in a quantity of maggots, they would crawl away from the light, and be released at the required rate through the base. There was also a length of strong line, and a heavy weight. You threw the weight into the river, at the desired distance from the bank, then released the boat and paid out line until it hung in the current, directly down stream of the weight. It would release maggots at the desired rate into the swim. Now the 'clever' bit was a kind of boom attached to the boat, so when you cast over it the line caught, and guided your float through the swim as you released line from your reel. You could also lay-on, over depth, again directly in line with your loose feed. The thought, time and money that must have gone into designing, manufacturing, and advertising this thing must have been pretty big, unfortunately, but not surprisingly, it didn't sell well, and disappeared before the season was over.

I wonder if anyone still has one hiding in a long forgotten corner, it would surely be classed as an antique by now.

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

https://ibb.co/LZKDQ8M

I bought one of these for £4.95 from Ebay including free delivery. Bought it partly as a joke, but found it to be a terrific little rod used correctly. Out it comes everytime someone is showboating expensive new tackle and then I catch using it and point out it's not the tackle but how you present your bait.

If all else fails, follow the intructions.