Lures

gozzer

I've just picked up 5 telescopic spinning rods, complete with reels. The husband of a work colleague of my wifes, sadly died, and she found them tucked away with a load of other stuff, in the loft. It seems he was a bit of a hoarder, and bought loads of stuff she knew nothing about. She asked my wife if I might be interested for £50, so with an upcoming trip to Loch Ness and the Caledonian canal in mind, I bought them. They range from 9ft down to 5ft 9ins, with casting weights from 50 down to 10grms.

I've done a bit of spinning in my time, but not for about the last 15/20 yrs, so I'm well out of the loop. The area we're going to, according to my research, has salmon, and sea trout, which I will disregard due to permits etc, leaving Pike, brown trout, eels, and possibly perch, as possible targets. I'm pretty much at a loss as to what lures, or even types of lures to get, in my day I stuck to mepps, tobys, the odd plug, and of course the devon minnow. Now I look on line and see a plethora of different lures, soft lures, jigs, crankbaits, etc as well as the more traditional models. Could anyone suggest a fairly compact assortment of lures to cover the species, and weights I've described, bearing in mind it's not my usual discipline, and will only get used occasionally.

I will of course be taking some lobs, and leger gear, so I can fish more in my comfort one, if need be.

Thanks in anticipation,

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Hi again John, instead of investing £'s & £'s (they're not cheap for good ones) in Lures, you could try this??

Basically spinning with dead bait (sprats)

Sprats are pennies each.

https://youtu.be/2bzzmi5LpxY

Or this as another, but similar method.

https://youtu.be/-WjFFFkbe8o

And this for the Canal ....

https://youtu.be/buzaQXabNUw

This one's particularly nice for the rods you've just bought.

Here's a good one on Lures/Plugs.

https://youtu.be/rIVwQrcSJq0

Here's how Lures work in a Test Tank.

https://youtu.be/D2cD-40juyM

Here's another with a spoon - Ondex

https://youtu.be/pfF4uL6GxIE

A few things for you to consider John.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Cheers Martin, but I don't think having several dead fish, and the accompanying smell, laying about the car for a week will go down well with the mrs.

The idea of using lures is that I am ready to fish any time, if my wife and in-laws want to do do something I don't, then they can toddle off and do their thing while I just pick up a couple of rods, my bag of bits, and my net, and I'm ready. Any sessions will be on the spur of the moment, nothing planned, just as and when I get the chance. Lures suit this style much easier than having to rig something like a sprat.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

One of my all time lures is the spinner, mepps, ondex and blue fox are good ones.

I think virtually any predator will be tempted by them. They come in numerous sizes and if fishimg a fast flow you can just put a shot or similar up the line a touch to get the spinner down.

I get that john but have a look at the Lure vids + supermarkets will sell sprats in any quantity, so half a dozen & then throw them away each day.

I'm guessing there are supermarkets/fish mongers within striking distance of the fishing??

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

I get that john but have a look at the Lure vids + supermarkets will sell sprats in any quantity, so half a dozen & then throw them away each day.

I'm guessing there are supermarkets/fish mongers within striking distance of the fishing??

Thanks again Martin, but Loch Ness, and the Caledonian canal area, especially where we are staying, is pretty much off the beaten track. A visit to a 'local supermarket' could entail a 40 mile plus, round trip, depending where we are at the time. Add to this, I'm hoping to include brown trout, and possibly perch, the wobbled sprat is a non starter I'm afraid.

I watched the videos on pike fishing you posted. The prat on the bike in Cambridge, had me hoping that he would run into a walk and smash his rod. His disregard for anyone as he weaved his way down the street, and along the path, would have tempted me to knock him off his bloody bike! The same lack of thought in choosing where to fish from, put him in a stupid situation, and he was lucky that the pike was a small one.

John.

One of my all time lures is the spinner, mepps, ondex and blue fox are good ones.

I think virtually any predator will be tempted by them. They come in numerous sizes and if fishimg a fast flow you can just put a shot or similar up the line a touch to get the spinner down.

Yup, Ian, they were amongst the lures I used back in the day, and were very successful. I quite like the idea of the 'soft' lures though, where you have jig head, and can experiment with the colour and action by just unhooking a body, and replacing it with another. I also prefer the use of a large single hook as opposed to trebles, plus the lures take up less space. I haven't used these lures before, but have watched a few videos, and like what I've seen.

I have about three weeks before we go, so I think I will price a selection of both traditional, and modern lures, and, who knows it might even involve me ordering off the internet!ohmy.png

(That would probably mean my Mrs, or son/daughter, ordering for me.biggrin.png)

John.

The only time i've seriously used the soft jig lures was on the AN fish inns when zander fishing with Anderoo.....After saying that, I have used them for retreiving in the river also and had some nice pike. I suppose the smaller ones would be good for perch etc.

When I know there are fish infront of me but nothing is interested in my lure, I just keep swapping the lure until I catch or leave the swim to rest for a spell.

Very often i've caught a fish first cast upon on my return!

I agree about the treble hooks, they really are a pain in the harris, but you can swap them out for single or double hooks. I don't mind the double hooks.

• Like 1

Hi John, for those rods fishing those waters for those fish, I would probably stick to good old mepps spinners and spoons. For perch and trout and the odd pike, a mepps will be pretty much ideal.

I have done quite a bit of ultra light lure fishing with soft plastics and would definitely recommend it, as it's great fun and very productive. You do need the right type of rod though, and even a 10g casting weight rod may be too heavy and/or the wrong action. I usually use 2-3.5g jig heads with little rubber lures, and for those you really need a dedicated fast action rod with a low casting weight (they usually have spliced in quiver-type tips and then are very stiff further down the blank). I would also seriously recommend light (8-10lb) braid otherwise you might not feel the delicate bites.

You can but a few little jig heads and soft plastics and give them a go though - AGM Discount is excellent value and very good service: https://www.agmdiscountfishing.co.uk/

The rods are cheap by the way, I have Shakespeare and a Mitchell UL rods and neither were much more than about £20. (Which is good, because the tips are delicate and easy to break if you're not careful!)

Most of the bites come as the lure is dropping, so you reel in 2-3 turns without moving the rod, and then let the lure flutter down on a tight line, and then reel again. With the braid and the sensitive rod tip you can see and feel the little pluck as a fish picks it up. I haven't tried it in fast water though, so I'm not sure how you'd do that.

There are also floating lures, which you fish in a jig head in the same way, but these stand up off the bottom. Twitching these back along the bottom is very effective.

• Like 1

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

PS when buying jig heads, getting the right weight is important - too light and they may never reach the bottom or you just lose contact with them. Too heavy and they drop too fast to be effective. So it's a balancing act taking into account the depth and flow of the waters you intend to fish.

PPS the zander fishing Tigger mentions above is exactly the same principle, just using heavier tackle in much deeper water, and fishing vertically from a boat.

• Like 1

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music