Lures

gozzer

Have you got wire traces John?

If not, PM me your address and I'll send you enough for the trip.

If you haven't pike fished for a while, don't forget to brush up on basic handling so you don't get yourself cut to pieces.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

It'll be interesting to hear how you get on, John. Loch Ness sounds quite tough for lure angling as I imagine you need to cast out quite a way to get into any depth of water? I guess I'd find the canal easier, but that may just be that I've never cracked lure fishing in lakes.

Regarding Andrew's comments about ultra-lite, it's another world in a way. I was expertly taught by Kappa, and it certainly upped my catch rate a lot (not that I do it much now because of back trouble). But I'm not sure how I would have got on without someone to guide.

Plastics, of course, can be used with a conventional spinning rod, not just for ultra-lite. My favourite lure for years on the Kennet was a Mepps No 3 Fire-tiger (orangy) and I caught on that but couldn't seem to catch on anything else! But then I bought a cheap bag of plastic 'worms' with big flat tails that flashed around as you retrieved, and my favourite turned out to be glitter-gold. I used them with a 10gram jig, and when I wanted to be on or close to the bottom they out-fished even the Mepps. I'm not sure if they resembled crayfish, that you get a lot of in the Kennet.

I realise you probably won't be using plastics on your forthcoming trip, but for the future I'd recommend having a couple in the bag as an alternative lure for when the fish are deep.

john clarke

Have you got wire traces John?

If not, PM me your address and I'll send you enough for the trip.

If you haven't pike fished for a while, don't forget to brush up on basic handling so you don't get yourself cut to pieces.

Thanks Ken, that's very generous of you, but sadly, I've already ordered a dozen premade up ones, couldn't be bothered making up my own, they should last me. thanks again.

I've been looking at some pike handling vids, recently, and I wasn't impressed by some of the things I saw on a few of them. I've caught a few pike, albeit accidently, since my return to the bank last year, no monsters but up to around 7/8lb, and have managed pretty well so far, even if I do say so myself.rolleyes.gif I'll add that I will be using barbless, or crushed barb, hooks, and will be reducing the number of trebles on some lures if they have more than one set. I will also be replacing the treble with a larger single on the smaller lures, if it doesn't affect the action too much.

I was toying with idea of ordering some braid, and thinking that about 20/30lb bs could be ok. The trouble is, I've never got on with braid in the past, mainly float and leger fishing. Although I would love to have the lack of stretch, and low diameter, I've never felt totally confident with knots. I've watched a few vids, and tried some of the knots, but it's almost like a mental block when it comes to actually using it. I think I'll stick with the mono of 8 and 12 lb bs that I already have, and am confident with, and keep some peace of mind.

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Ebay is a good source of cheap Chinese braid. I got a very cheap, massive spool of 10lb braid in the past for backup, and it was great. Seemed the same as standard powerpro to me. If you get any, get a bright colour (I like yellow) as it really helps you see the bites and see what the lure is doing. For fishing mepps or jig heads up to about 10-15g I wouldn't go heavier than 10lb personally. Trace can either be wire if there are pike or flouro if not.

For knotting braid, all you need is a grinner/uni knot (two turns through the swivel) which is absolutely solid.

See for example https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PE-Sea-Fishing-Line-100M-300M-500M-1000M-4-Strands-Dyneema-Extreme-Braid-Strong/392350516610?var=661353023607&hash=item5b59e9c582:g:ibcAAOSwowddPTwd

Edited by Anderoo
  • Like 2

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Palomar knot for me - or a modified double uni for joining to mono or fluoro without a swivel.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

No need to worry about crays if your lure fishing though smile.png

Unless they're called Ronnie & Reggie !! black_eye.gif

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

No need to worry about crays if your lure fishing though smile.png.

Sorry - double posted!!

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

• 5 weeks later...

I got back last night, wishing that I hadn't bothered to take any tackle with me. The canal looked promising at first, wide, with a tinge of colour after the recent rain. It is shallow in the edges, but dropping of to a decent depth in the middle to accommodate the keels of some of the large yachts that pass through it. I figured that these ledges would provide ideal areas for preds to ambush prey. The bank on my side of the canal was a good 5 ft above the water, but there was a tunnel under the canal leading to the 'tow-path' side. I had a quick half hour on my first evening trying a couple of Mepps in size 2 and 3, without any sign of a take. Not only didn't I get a take, I never saw a follow, or any other sign of fish, or indeed fowl, as the light faded. During the week I walked around 3 miles of the canal, at various times, and saw just one duck on the water, no rises despite plenty of fly hatches, no swirls, not even a gull patrolling the length. There were a few patches of weed in some areas, but again no signs of any activity, it was like a watery desert.

I tried Mepps, small spoons, plugs, shads, and Toby type lures in various colours and sizes, at varying speeds and depths, all in vain.

The canal was built about 200 years ago, and water from several lochs passes through it, as well as plenty of small tributaries, all have plenty of aquatic life, so there should be some in the canal. I could understand if my lack of expertise in lure fishing didn't produce results, but the water seemed devoid of any signs of life.

In hindsight maybe fishing worm would have been better, even if only for eels.

John.

• Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John