Lures

gozzer

Thanks for the replies gents, and for the link Andrew. I'm toying with sticking with what I know, ie, mepps style, and tobys, and discarding the soft lure/jig head approach.

I bought the tele rods, because they go so small, that they can even be put under a seat, if I hadn't been offered them, I wouldn't even have considered taking any tackle. I have a problem with available space, my wife attempts to take everything, including the kitchen sink, whenever we go away, "just in case, because you never know". I can usually pinch a bit of room, but this year, my brother-in-law, who's in his late 70s, doesn't feel up to driving the approx 150miles from Irvine, up to near Inverness, which is fair enough. I have been volunteered to pick him up on the way, obviously, along with his luggage, my poor old Astra will be bursting at the seams, so I don't feel that confident that even a normal 2 piece rod, won't end up a 3 or 4 piece one by the time we get to the chalet. The whole fishing thing is because I'm not usually the "let's go look around an old house/museum type, and wetting a line seemed the ideal escape, while the others get their guided tours.

I'll order some of the lures from Andrews link, and have a look around for anything else I think will work, I'll even consider getting some braid!

I have a ticket to a warehouse that sells just about everything, and got a sales leaflet last week showing various lures at very low prices. With my usual luck, my back went again, (it's an on going thing that seems to baffle all of medical science), and I was semi mobile, I only just managed to get up there yesterday, only to find that they were sold out!

If all else fails I can always fish worms, either static, or 'sink and draw'.

Cheers

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Gozzer,

For brown trout I highly recommend the super duper lure (red and gold).

Phone

EDIT: since this is a cast and retrieve lure MONO is fine.

Edited by Phone
  • Like 1

Gozzer,

For brown trout I highly recommend the super duper lure (red and gold).

Phone

EDIT: since this is a cast and retrieve lure MONO is fine.

Thanks phone, good to see you posting. You had me worried with your lack of posts recently, it's not like you to not have an opinion on most things.wink.png

Take care

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Don't know if you're aware John. but a big new tackle shop has just opened next to "The Range".

Apparently it's not far from the Garden Gate pub in Hunslet??

I haven't been myself yet but might be worth a toby (pun intended) & 'ave a look around.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Don't know if you're aware John. but a big new tackle shop has just opened next to "The Range".

I haven't been myself yet but might be worth a toby (pun intended) & 'ave a look around.

Yes Martin, it's Angling Direct. I haven't been either, will call over if I get the chance, and see if they have any offers on.

Tackle shops seem to be going that way, like big supermarkets. They are handy, but it's a shame for the little tackle shops, hardly any left in Leeds now. I think this store will have an effect on the AJ tackle shop, seeing as they are in the same area. I heard Erics angling was closing down, but not confirmed as yet.

John

John there's a Tackle2U in Outwood a short, 5 min' bus ride from me (I'm in Lofthouse) & I always shop there.

The Lads there are a great bunch, very helpful & well worth supporting.

It's quite well stocked, but if they don't have it there, ('cos it's sold out) they'll have it sent from their Bradford Super Store for me. (even if it's only a bag of the groundbait or pellets I like) icecream.gif

Every tackle shop runs out of something from time to time!!

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

John there's a Tackle2U in Outwood a short, 5 min' bus ride from me (I'm in Lofthouse) & I always shop there.

The Lads there are a great bunch, very helpful & well worth supporting.

It's quite well stocked, but if they don't have it there, ('cos it's sold out) they'll have it sent from their Bradford Super Store for me. (even if it's only a bag of the groundbait or pellets I like) icecream.gif

Every tackle shop runs out of something from time to time!!

I've started going to Bobco Martin, the place is massive, and even has a pole and rod alley upstairs, that can take any sized pole. Most of this is wasted on me though, I've never been one for needing the latest gear, or indulging in the latest fad, just mainly bait, line, terminal tackle such as shot, hooks, weights and floats. I prefer going into a shop, rather than shopping online, especially since they seem to recognise me now, I don't feel such an 'outcast' as I did when I first got back into angling, and I started my 'Frustrated' thread. Speaking of which, I haven't posted about any of my trips, and my usual mishaps, since my season started. I might do that, it could help to pass the time while I'm stuck at home. idea.gif

John.

When are you going?

Winter lure fishing is a very different prospect to summer fishing and requires a different approach, although for trout in streams, a size 2 Mepps is hard to beat.

I've never been a fan of the Toby style spoons but I do like a wide, bright silver spoon that can be fished slow as a search lure.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

When are you going?

Winter lure fishing is a very different prospect to summer fishing and requires a different approach, although for trout in streams, a size 2 Mepps is hard to beat.

I've never been a fan of the Toby style spoons but I do like a wide, bright silver spoon that can be fished slow as a search lure.

We're going on the Friday13th of Sept Ken, and no I didn't book that date, my wife did.

The research I've done suggests that the fishing on the Caledonian Canal, is usually pretty good up to mid October. It looks like it will mostly be on the canal, because that is right on our door step, a couple of hundred yards at most, from the cabin we've booked. I read one report that said the canal, and adjoining Lochs holds a decent head of other coarse fish, such as bream, and roach, so I wish that I had room for a bit more general float/leger gear. Loch Ness has a large head of ruffe it seems, and like in the case of Loch Ken, they are blaming pike anglers for releasing live baits.

It's an annual thing where we meet up with my wifes family, for a week, usually close to mid distance for us all. Berwick on Tweed, Galloway Forest, Cumbria, Lindisfarne, are some of the places. They like to look at old houses, museums, abbeys, etc. I said that I see enough old relics, when I look in the mirror, and at them, so this year I'll fish, if, or when, I get the chance. Not too bothered about what I catch, but want to give myself a fighting chance at least.

John.

Edited by gozzer

As a kid, I used to get loads of perch on spinners in loch ness.

Several of my m8s and myself where meant to have gone piking on loch ken a few weeks ago but the weather put a stop to it...just didn't fancy camping out in torrential rain!

Some of my m8's regularly target the bream and pike in loch ken, the problem is the crayfish, especially if using deads, they even attack lives!

No need to worry about crays if your lure fishing though :).

Edited by Tigger