Feeder fishing

Mikench

I broke the tip on a rod a couple of years ago and obtained a new section. Rather than scrap the broken tip I attached a new eye with a screw thread and bought a few swing tips. I recently inherited from a chap a couple of spring tips . Apart from the novelty of them I cannot see in actual use that they improve upon a quiver tip. Certainly casting is a little awkward with a swing tip and as a result I rarely use them. Does anyone and in what circumstances and do you prefer them to a quiver tip?

Ahh, a 'blast from the past', the old spring tip. I experimented with them back in the 70s, Mike, and came to the conclusion that it was an attempt to combine the aspects of the swing tip, and the quiver tip, but did neither as good as the 'real' thing. By adjusting how far the glass tip was pushed into the spring, it either increased, or decreased the force needed to pull it round. With it pushed right in, it acted like a conventional screw-in quiver tip, as you gradually pulled it out, the less resistance from the spring, made it more sensitive, until the tip hung down similar to a swing tip. I think the idea was that you could easily adjust the amount of resistance, to suit any change in conditions, or fish behaviour.

The improvements in quivertips, the sad demise of the swingtip, and the change in leger techniques in general, have, (IMO), made them redundant.

John.

• Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I tend to agree John. I last used one on a windless day on a local water and caught roach and skimmers. Two guys walked past with carp gear and one looked at me pityingly and remarked to his mate that I was fishing with a broken tip. His mate explained all in colourful language. I’ll have another look at he spring tip for any adjustment. I only started fishing about 4 years ago and hav3 been keen to try tackle, methods and techniques no longer used or available just in case I’d missed something significant.

• Like 1

I will repost this because its funny.

I was checking permits down the pond and found 4 guys sleeping in 2 huge bivvies in 2 adjoining swims ,their immaculately positioned rods covered half of the opposite bank (i didnt mention the rules on swim boundaries ,to me they are nonsensical but had i wanted to etc)they stumbled out with their permits and i took the numbers onto my pad

What are you after i said they looked at each other and tittered with a raised eyebrow or to ,carp one said the others sniggered at my question ,been here all night ? Any bites i said

Couple of little tench one said (must have been a great fight on their pokers ) didnt read the permit then ?i said .

Why? another asked i replied you have more chance catching an eskimo in hell theres only a couple of little carp in here and carried on up the bank .

On my return they were packing up lol.

Strangely in the 10 years that have passed carp and cats have magically appeared and not put in by the club ,it seems the 1970's have comeback with fish mystiously transporting themselves without any thought on what happens after to the pond itself after

Strange breed modern carpers more interested in the latest gear than most ,my old pond was mainly old guys with old tackle catching fish at a pace they wanted to ,i retired from the club a couple of years ago and i get the odd regular stopping as i go about my business in the village ,they complain now me and bill the old head bailiff have gone the fishery is ruined and its nothing like it was 'in the day' ,trees have been cut and the hotspots in the shade of old are gone ,sometime being moany stick in the muds like me and bill are good ,sometimes things that work dont need fixing!

I am certainly not anti carp ,i fished for them when someone going fishing at dusk was "strange" and staying out until sunday evening even stranger! Not anti carp but anti widespread of carp without restriction ,some people do like not catching them!

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 2

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

All,

I remember trying to participate in a similar thread - long ago. While it was not my first escapade, I was in trouble from the beginning and totally out of my element.

Not one single term in this thread is familiar to anglers in North America except ex-pats.

We have no parabolic rods (to speak of) - freshwater rods in excess of 7 ft are rare.

We use "bobbers" the size of cantalope and 25 - 50 lb line.

Phone

Edit: I have tried to cast a "European" rod - can't be done - worst kit on the planet. We "flick" a cast. You make art form of "following through the entire cast". It is obviouly not for the purpose of catching. A single cast in England could be more considered "an event".

Edited by Phone
  • Like 1

We don't do too badly this side of the pond you know!!

7 foot rods are more part of a kids starter pack over here!! wink.png

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

All,

I remember trying to participate in a similar thread - long ago. While it was not my first escapade, I was in trouble from the beginning and totally out of my element.

Not one single term in this thread is familiar to anglers in North America except ex-pats.

We have no parabolic rods (to speak of) - freshwater rods in excess of 7 ft are rare.

We use "bobbers" the size of cantalope and 25 - 50 lb line.

Phone

Edit: I have tried to cast a "European" rod - can't be done - worst kit on the planet. We "flick" a cast. You make art form of "following through the entire cast". It is obviouly not for the purpose of catching. A single cast in England could be more considered "an event".

Ah, but I remember you posting about the 'smart' floats (bobbers), and 'smart' reels available over there Phone.

I think I suggested back then, something along the lines of, 'smart' tackle was only there to compensate for the less than 'smart' anglers.rolleyes.gif

John.

• Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I tend to agree John. I last used one on a windless day on a local water and caught roach and skimmers. Two guys walked past with carp gear and one looked at me pityingly and remarked to his mate that I was fishing with a broken tip. His mate explained all in colourful language. I’ll have another look at he spring tip for any adjustment. I only started fishing about 4 years ago and hav3 been keen to try tackle, methods and techniques no longer used or available just in case I’d missed something significant.

This reminds me of a trip to Boston Spa, on the river Wharfe a long time ago in my late teens. The river was up about 18ins, and I was disappointed to find someone fishing my 'go to' swim in these conditions. I asked if the guy had done much, an was taken aback by his reply of a 'couple of dozen barbel', something I'd never seen caught in this swim. He said he was trying this new thing called a 'swingtip' and it was great he hadn't missed a bite. When he cast his leger back in, I saw he had indeed got a swingtip attached to the end of his rod, it was one of the early ones that clipped onto the end eye. He cast into the main flow, and the swingtip followed the direction of his line as the rod tip bent with the flow. As I stood trying not to smile, his rod tip bent round a bit more, and he struck into a fish. "Another barbel" he said, as he swung in one of the big gudgeon the river was famous for back then. He proudly lifted his keepnet to show me the other twenty odd 'barbel' ie, large gudgeon, he'd caught. I didn't have the heart to tell him, not only was he fishing a swingtip in the wrong conditions, and he would have seen the bites better without it on, but he wasn't even catching what he thought he was!

He seemed happy enough with the sport he was having, so I left him to it, and went off to find another swim.

John.

• Like 2