Water in floats

wotnobivvy

I lost a Drennan waggler last week when the line cut through the float adapter. Today I found it in the margin complete with the remains of the float adapter. It was a clear float, however there has been an ingress of water in the body, which is in perfect condition. How did that happen a water never gets in when I am using it ??

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Perhaps the really hot temperatures last week had allowed some of the air inside your float to expand and escape through a leaking joint under pressure, and now the temperatures have dropped some water had managed seeped in due to it being submerged in water??

If your float doesnt show any damage then thats all I can think of.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I've had those plastic clear wagglers leak loads of times, mostly with the drennan puddle chuckers but a number of the long slim loaded and unloaded wagglers also. Usually it's a hairline crack but as Keith mentioned, it may be a joint.

Some of them seem to have thinner walls of plastic than others and crack really easily, often when pushing them into a adaptor! If i'm buying them from a shop I give them a little squeeze test before buying.

• Like 1

All,

I know

wagglers are inferiour UK kit

Get a good bobber.

Phone

Wagglers are for anglers that know how to use them phone, and unfortunately our friends on the other side of the pond only know how to use lures, which is why they have trouble winning the World Coarse Angling championships unlike their brothers in the UK who have made quite a habit of winning that title over the years :)

It seems that our friends across the pond are not good at spelling either (its inferior not inferiour Phone) :o:)

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Thats 'cause yanks catch fish that are easy to catch wheras we are after the ones that dont like getting caught lol

Some of them are so desperate to get caught they jump in the boat!

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I've had those plastic clear wagglers leak loads of times, mostly with the drennan puddle chuckers but a number of the long slim loaded and unloaded wagglers also. Usually it's a hairline crack but as Keith mentioned, it may be a joint.

Some of them seem to have thinner walls of plastic than others and crack really easily, often when pushing them into a adaptor! If i'm buying them from a shop I give them a little squeeze test before buying.

I don't like the clear, plastic "crystal" wagglers they're too squashy & crack too easily IMO.

These Preston "Dura Wags" are far more robust, with a thick wall tube.

I clip a small Link swivel to the bottom eye & use "Gripper Stops" either side, so I can still change the float.

There's the risk of a float coming off with Adaptors IMO.

The ones I have - have Insert tips. (scroll further down the Link to see those)

https://www.prestoninnovations.com/en/products/straight-dura-wag-fixed-loading

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

I'm not a lover of the clear hollow ones either, but they sometimes suit a task, mainly the puddle chuckers for me.

I use a float adaptor with a small swivel incorporated in it's base. I haven't had any floats come out of the adaptors, but I suppose it's a possability.

All,

Ha ha

First, I just assumed the "u" in inferior. Brits waste more perfectly good "U's" than should be allowed.

? World Coarse Angling championships? Ahh yes, I remember now, was the second year - 1955. Haven't seen much recently. Brits must be matching their camo to their kit and 11 thousand kg of "just in case" stuff. I look forward to another win in say - - - 2055

(A Frog made me say that)

Phone

I'm not a lover of the clear hollow ones either, but they sometimes suit a task, mainly the puddle chuckers for me.

I use a float adaptor with a small swivel incorporated in it's base. I haven't had any floats come out of the adaptors, but I suppose it's a possability.

I was using the type that has a flexible link. One end pushes onto the float and at the other end is a male bit where a silicon tube is pushed up the line and the line is trapped. It was the silicon tube that split and released the float. When I retrieved the float it still had the adapter connected to the float, so I knew it was my lost one

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not