Fishing From A Sailing Boat

Elton

Anyone tried fishing from a sailing boat? Had my first experience in the River Stour a few weeks ago and plan to do a lot more next year!

Two of us did a short overnight trip, anchored outside the channel. Obviously, you don't get as much deck space as a fishing boat, but the galley and somewhere to sleep made up for it biggrin.png

Had a few small bass. Nothing big, but it was a fairly successful recce. Only downside we found was that when my mate returned to his boat, it was covered in bird crap! I mean, LOADS of it. We reckon they'd been attracted by scraps of bait and food left on deck and roosted there for a few days.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

We had one mainly because it was cheap and had a cabin.we used to trundle off to nab tower a couple of times a month

Not designed for speed ,poke any sized outboard on the back and it couldnt plane like a fast boat.

Worst thing though was anchoring it ,the bugger wouldnt stay directly behind the anchor ,it had 3 keels so it could sit on mud but the slightest current caught them and off the bugger went on a tangent so your bait was continually moving .

We tried using its sails once and near capsized it so we put a stub mast on and a 20hp engine on the back but it drank fuel ,better with an 8hp 4 stroke but the dammed engine despite being new broke down continually so in the end we carried it AND the 20hp one taking up room ,boats are designed to extract money from the gullible!

Dont think about buying one every damned thing on it is expensive ,towing it is expensive and mooring it very expensive!

Your life revolves around suitable slips to launch it from and if its moored the weather forecast incase you have to get it out quickly! If you use mackeral for bait everything will smell of it ,everything will taste of it and the smell never leaves the inside!

I have a hat i used to wear all the time its an old friend but it came on that boat! The slightest bit of moisture the smell comes back and thats from the early 80's more febreze that you could use but that smell! It lives in the loft!

Saying that theres nothing better than mackeral in a frying pan so fresh the fins are still quivering!

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I'm definitely going to give it a go! It'll be next season now, probably.

Oh, and you're too late.....I bought a sailing boat a couple of months back biggrin.png I just need to sort a couple of things on it and away I go......sounds easy.

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

I'm definitely going to give it a go! It'll be next season now, probably.

Oh, and you're too late.....I bought a sailing boat a couple of months back biggrin.png I just need to sort a couple of things on it and away I go......sounds easy.

Good luck and deep pockets ?

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Good luck and deep pockets

I've also found that you need to be very good at filling out forms to own a moored boat!

Cant talk of nowadays we last moored a boat in pompey harbour in about 1984 ,no paperwork at all we just met the owner (leaseholder i should say) of the moorings at high tide and he showed us the mooring bouy .

Cheapest type but still £80 a year it was cheap because you could only get to it 2 hours each side of high tide !

The mooring itself (according to the boat next door) was a car engine with a lenght chain to the bouy just long enough so your boat didnt het the boat next to it but still allow very high tides.

Stress was extreme getting back from nab tower with enough water to get to the mooring

Edited by chesters1

That's the situation I'm in right now. My boat is on a similar mooring, with very limited access, so I'm looking to move it for the next season. I've found a more suitable place - just got to fill out a few more forms and part with some more cash.

Solar panels on the roof should keep the battery topped up they wont charge a battery unless its very small but your outboard may have a charger ? (Our 4stroke one did when its wasnt snapping gears!) .

You also need a decent auto bilge pump ,luckily one weekend we went down after a week of rain to find the front hatch hanging on its chain but the bilge was dry the pump had kept it dry ,also its lucky we had a 400 amp battery (try lifting that from a dingy to the boat!) That had enough capacity to run the pump !

Theres lots to think about ,not so much when your using it but more for when your not especially with winter coming ,in the end we bought a mini generator just to charge the battery it was cheaper than taking it home and back of wasting gallons of fuel running the outboard!

The 4 stroke was a revelation instead of 10 gallons it was 5 litres to go fishing lol and no problems with the impellor side of outboards getting blocked if its air cooled ,drilling out snapped bolts dismantling outboards because they overheat is no joke

If your mooring is drying then you will have barge keels aswell ,enjoy the continual moving and make sure the anode is ok if your keels are mixed metals like ours were as i said boats are money pits ,fun half the year a pain the other!

Chester1 top tip get a 50 gallon drum ,cut out one end and fill it with water ,its essential you get rid of saltwater in an outboard as much as possible ! Dont rev it unless you want a bath just ticking over is ok its slowly changing the water from salt to fresh,probably nowadays "additives" will be available to quicken the process and coat the waterways in the head to prolong their life?

Edited by chesters1

This has an inboard, so no such worries biggrin.png

The boat is actually pretty well sorted. It belonged to the president of the sailing club for 30-odd years and he's always kept on top of the maintenance. I've got a halyard to sort out (not a massive job in itself, but getting up the mast itself is!) and she's ready to go.

Once I get a chance, I'll take a few photos. If anyone's interested, it's a Westerly Centaur. They're a 26ft bilge-keel with a pretty good reputation.

I know what you mean about the dangers of lifting stuff to the dinghy. Getting on and off the boat is the only bit that really worries me right now, but even if I had the money, I wouldn't fancy a marina until I'm a bit more competent. Too much potential to crash into expensive other stuff!

Stainless shaft, bronze prop? Two metals! Not much need for anodes in freshwater (it does effect metal though) but seawater is very different if your boats continually in the water