Fishing From A Sailing Boat

Elton

Is it like this one?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

18 hours ago, Elton said:

Yeah, the windlass is pretty handy!

I’m looking for an auxiliary engine. Would you know what horsepower would get me out of a pickle? I’ve got a little 4hp short shaft here, but would have thought I probably need double that, with a long shaft  

Will ping you over an address. Cheers!

I’m going to service the engine and replace the exhaust hose next week before a mate and I go fishing, then the rest of the jobs can get done as and when.

That’s a bag of worms Elton, there are charts and calculations you can make that will indicate the hp requirement, I had a 4hp short shaft Suzuki on my Black Marlin, 4ft smaller than yours but a bit heavier at a guess, long or short shaft is a simple test, stick it on the auxiliary mount and see if it is long enough, after that see if it pushes the boat along!

The REAL argument is in your final paragraph, a lot, including me, believe in keeping your primary power source tip top so you have no need for an auxiliary. Think about how many times engines break down and take steps to remove the risks, have you got a fuel filter with a water separator? If not get one, buy at least one spare fan belt and any fuses, solenoids etc.

Install a secondary battery system and keep some fresh water on board.

These things are relatively cheap, certainly cheaper than a 20hp outboard and far less likely to get nicked!

Water in fuel, loss of electrical power to start engine and overheating are probably the most common breakdowns and yet the easiest to avoid.

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

18 hours ago, Elton said:

Is it like this one?

The very same! ?

• Like 1

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

3 hours ago, Huge_Vitae said:

That’s a bag of worms Elton, there are charts and calculations you can make that will indicate the hp requirement, I had a 4hp short shaft Suzuki on my Black Marlin, 4ft smaller than yours but a bit heavier at a guess, long or short shaft is a simple test, stick it on the auxiliary mount and see if it is long enough, after that see if it pushes the boat along!

The REAL argument is in your final paragraph, a lot, including me, believe in keeping your primary power source tip top so you have no need for an auxiliary. Think about how many times engines break down and take steps to remove the risks, have you got a fuel filter with a water separator? If not get one, buy at least one spare fan belt and any fuses, solenoids etc.

Install a secondary battery system and keep some fresh water on board.

These things are relatively cheap, certainly cheaper than a 20hp outboard and far less likely to get nicked!

Water in fuel, loss of electrical power to start engine and overheating are probably the most common breakdowns and yet the easiest to avoid.

Yeah, I've seen it mentioned quite a few times that the best solution is to keep your engine in good nick, keep spares and know how to fix it. I've been down there today and measured up and ordered the exhaust hose. The engine was recently serviced, but I've got the engine number and will pick up a complete service kit for it to keep onboard. I've already got a decent tool kit and a pretty good idea how engines work (car collection is nudging 20 now!), and will also make sure I have various spare lengths of hoses and clamps on there. 

There are various filters for fuel on there, from what I could see - looked like two filters (one between the two tanks) and a water separator, but I'll have a proper check during the week, when I have more time.

The boat runs a twin battery set-up. I'm already thinking about how I could have another battery trickle-charged on there, 'just in case', rather than keep lugging my jump pack back and forth.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Blimey two batteries ,your missing out the fun we used to have lifting in and out >35kg batteries from a 6ft dingy lol

One person had to litterally lean out as far as they could over the pointy end of the dingy whilst the other one struggled to lift the battery up over the back of the boat and lean it on it while the other person then climber over you to get on the boat to lift the battery onto the floor .Unfortunately the facilities in pompy then didnt have a pontoon close enough to get to in the 2hrs it was safe to motor off and get back to before the tide dropped again at the mooring .

No solar then and those windmill generators god smackingly expensive for normal people so the battery had to come out every 2 or 3 months ,go home and be charged for the next trip .

The boss treated us to a very nice outboard with a built in genny but it failed after a couple of hundred yards ,then after it was returned twice further i posted about many years ago

If your thinking of a new outboard 4 stroke air cooled cuts out all the problems with blocked water channels and impellors and it doesnt matter if the prop comes out the water in rough weather or wave surfing

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson