Old laptop memory

*Ant*

I have a very old Dell Latitude C540 laptop running Windows XP. It's in fabulous condition so would hate to just throw it away even though it is painfully slow. It only has 1gb of RAM (2x512mb) so was thinking old memory is cheap on ebay so maybe slotting in 2x1gb or even 2x2gb would give it a boost. My problem is that i'm not clued up on memory types so could anyone tell me what type I should be getting that would fit?

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

Some old ones are very picky on how much and what the parameters are ,my best advice is to pop over to dell and see what the machine can use and recomended vendors list.

The bios on these machines are not as good as new ones

• Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

The spec,s on that Laptop state that 1GB is the max ram,so it would seem no where to go. :(

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

• 3 weeks later...

Bugga. But thanks for the info. thumbs.gif

I'm by no means a whizz but a maybe separate hub??

Curry's PC World Team Knowhow will tell you if there's any options.

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

I'm by no means a whizz but a maybe separate hub??

Curry's PC World Team Knowhow will tell you if there's any options.

I did a bit of digging online and apparently it will take 2 x 1gb ram, even though Dell list it as a maximum of 2 x 512mb. But i've ordered some for a few quid so i'll find out when they finally turn up from China.

• 4 weeks later...

All by design so you have to buy a new one. It's called built in obsolescence and it should be illegal .

I just bought an old one to duel boot with win7 (my mrs ipod cannot use the modern version of the apple stuff) and my film snanner goes doolally in win10 on my main pc

Surprised it was so easily upradeable ordered it with 4gb it came with 6 and can go to 8 cpu can from i5 to i7 and i bunged an ssd in it so now it has 2 drives.

Perfect for those games that wont run in win10 ,got a dock for it so i can keep all the video cables for an external monitor and audio etc .

Win 10 seems to run fine on it as does win7 duel boot was easy ,install win10 chuck a win7 disk in and it sorts it all out on a second partition

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Ant,

Mike's right

The old laptop won't handle even the stop speed. I suppose you could throw a couple hundred quid at it and maybe, just maybe you could play Pong on it.

Phone

Yep you and Mike are quite right. I tried the 2x1gb and although they fit, the laptop won't even boot up with them in. But nevermind, it only cost me less than a fiver to try.