porcupine quill

wotnobivvy

I have acquired one of these and would like to make a float, Suggestions anyone. It's about 8" long

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Porcupine quills are ready made floats, no need to varnish & if pointed at both ends, (most are) paint one end say red & the other end Black for a reversible float using rubbers each end.

(painting your preferred colour on the right way up end)

Dip the float tip and hang to dry rather than brush painting - having first used a Matt white undercoat.

8 inches is a good all round length (Ooo Er' Missus) so I wouldn't even think about shortening it.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

I often used them when I was a kid, in all honesty i'm not keen on 'em. I prefer to use peacock quill although it isn't as robust as a porky spike.

Im not that keen on porkies either other than when they are used relatively close in on a stillwater when they can be fairly good.

They are fairly heavy compared to other materials that are used today to make floats, and their weight is distributed fairly evenly along the quilts length (apart from their pointy ends) making them not the ideal tool (when in flight) for accurate long casting. Plus when used for trotting; because of their weight distribution and shape; they cannot be controlled and held back without riding up in the water as easily as the more conventional river floats like Avons, Sticks and Balsas etc.

Thats my view of them anyway.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Im not that keen on porkies either other than when they are used relatively close in on a stillwater when they can be fairly good.

They are fairly heavy compared to other materials that are used today to make floats, and their weight is distributed fairly evenly along the quilts length (apart from their pointy ends) making them not the ideal tool (when in flight) for accurate long casting. Plus when used for trotting; because of their weight distribution and shape; they cannot be controlled and held back without riding up so easily.

Thats my view of them anyway.

Keith

When I did use them I used the little ones and like you I used them at a rod length or two at most. I think the best thing about them is their robustness and simplicity. I think I only have two small'ish ones left and as there are so many better floats (for me) I just never use them now.

• Like 1

All,

The only thing I have found that they have is "angler sex appeal" - - - you know - - - - ohh yeah, I got some pig quill floats.

Phone

Seven guys on the other side of the pond tried to help me... hopelessly

• 2 weeks later...

My "go to" float for short range still water fishing (ie up to a couple of rod lengths) A splash of paint on the tip (fluo orange , yellow, scarlet or matt black according to background and lighting) and a slice of cycle valve rubber each end. Sorted

Guaranteed to go down. smile.png

Home made Quill (porcupine, peacock, goose, pigeon and crow) or cork on quill form 90% of my floats - tackle dealers eat your hearts out.whistling.gif

• Like 2

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...