Relentless rain...

Tigger

Talking mud,I had some bullies out over the fields yesterday and after a couple of miles walking in all the mix of mud and cow shyte we all needed a washing off when I got home!

The ever enthusiastic bullies weren't put off by the mud and enjoyed every moutthful of green sloppy cow shyte....you would think they were starved at home!

They do like to drink the puddle of green water that forms on the top of the cow pats!

Edited by Tigger

I haven't been fishing for about 7 weeks, mainly due to the weather, (I'm not counting my wasted efforts on the Caledonian canal), and it's starting to get to me. I didn't realise how bad until yesterday afternoon.

I said I'd pick my grandson up from primary school. I'd a couple of jobs to do, and got them done early so had a bit of time to waste before picking him up. On the route to his school, is a small pond/lake where the local pub sells day tickets, without much thought, and without fully realising what I was doing, I found myself turning down the lane to the water. I took a stroll around the lake, and asked one of the lads fishing it how he was doing, and then found myself talking about catching F1s! He'd had 29, and was ready to pack up, but wanted to catch number 30 before the next downpour, he didn't get it while I was there. Just looking at the water I found myself imagining how I would fish the place. He was fishing a small pellet feeder with small cubes of meat on the hook, about 25yds out. While I stood looking at the water, I saw a very slight boil on the surface, in the margins, then another, and another! It was obvious that fish were feeding almost right under his feet, in about 4 ft of water, but he dismissed it when I mentioned it. There had been a couple of carp in the low doubles caught by a guy who was bivvied up against the rain. It seems that all anyone catches is carp, or F1s, so I thought maybe a trip to see if there are any 'proper' fish in there could be on the cards. As I drove away from the water I had a moment of clarity, "could you really stand catching a load of F1s, on the off chance there might be a few decent roach or perch in there, John?" I asked myself. No I couldn't I thought back to myself, but it was a close thing, and a little scary as well.crazy.gif

John

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Gozzer,

We have classes to help you over the hump. They begin " Hi, my name is Gozzer and I catch F1 carp". We'll get you through it just fine. (You have to get past the denial )

Phone

Thanks for your kind offer Phone, but I deny your assumption that I'm in denial. It was just a momentary blip in my usual clear thinking, caused by the lack of proper angling opportunities.

It's getting close to prime roach/perch/chub time, and as soon as I get a chance to attend a therapeutic session with any, or all of them, I'll be fine.

I still haven't had a chance to sort the garden out though. I went over with the mower, but the grass and ground was soaked, and it half cut, and half tore the grass. I might have to borrow a couple of sheep from the local farmer.

John.

PS, as for F1s, I used to think it stood for 'not another F'ing one', I wasn't that far off the mark.

Edited by gozzer
  • Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

When the colder weather moves in the carp in those commercials will slow right down and so the anglers targetting them will follow suite leaving the places pretty much empty.

In those colder conditions the roach should still be willing to feed and so it might be worth giving it a go if your into your roach fishing.

When the colder weather moves in the carp in those commercials will slow right down and so the anglers targetting them will follow suite leaving the places pretty much empty.

In those colder conditions the roach should still be willing to feed and so it might be worth giving it a go if your into your roach fishing.

That's what went through my mind at the time, Ian, but whether I could bring myself to actually cast a line on one is doubtful. Certainly not on a regular basis, but maybe the odd recce might be possible.

I've avoided these waters like the plague since I first tried them back in the 90s. (I think I might have mentioned it once or twice on hererolleyes.gif ). I hated the whole concept with a passion, I still do, but have accepted that there's a generation that's never known any different, so I just leave them to it.

John.

Edited by gozzer

I am in the same mindset as you John, I think my fishing posts make that pretty clear, most of my fishing is wandering the rivers wwith one rod.

I don't mind fishing old ponds, old bell mine pools, gravel pits, clay pits etc which have a mixture of coarse fish during the closed river season or when the rivers are out of sorts for my style of angling. Regarding the propper commies which have toilets, shops etc etc, they are more like shopping precincts to me and I don't think I could bring myself to fish them at all.

There are some smaller commie type waters which farmers have dugg in order to make an extra buck and very often they just have a good mix of fish, although, they will nearly all have had some carp stocked to try and entice folk.

I have had a few sessions recently on one such water which one of the clubs i'm a member of have taken over and in all honeety I have enjoyed it. As I said, it's more a couple of well stocked ponds in a field and one of them seems quite mature having been there for a number of years. I think the other one is a later addition and isn't quite so mature.

Mike is well up on the venue and spends most of his life there nowadays, I think he may buy it if it comes up for grabbs :).

This is just a pond in a field, a couple of hundred yards behind a pub, that's it. No platforms, but decent flat banks, can accommodate about 20 anglers. It's in a dip, so water drains down from the surrounding fields through pipes. I've since found out that a guy comes round for the ticket money, you don't have to get them from the pub. No idea who stocked it, or what/how many they put in, apart from carp, and F1s. Between the fish and the drainage it's always coloured, so very little weed growth.

Basically just a water filled hole in the ground with fish in it, like many others.

I'm going to do a bit more asking around to see if there any evidence of other species in it, if so, I might give it a try, it's only a 10 min drive from our house.

John.