Back leads

Mikench

I've never used them, but I don't use 'bolt rigs' anyway.

If I've got it right, they are supposed to keep the line on the bottom and prevent it spooking the fish, and to help reduce the effect of undertow, is that right? If it is, then how can it work on an uneven lake/river bed, or one with weed beds between you and your baited hook? Surely the line will still be off the bottom at the height of the highest object?

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

John, you don't need to use a bolt rig if using back leads. Fish usually hook themselves anyway if your legering. The reason i've used them on still waters is if using two rods I don't want a fish getting wrapped up in my other set up as I bring it in.

I have used one on the rivers in the past when the river was up and had a lot of weeds etc coming down. Keeping the line pinned down stopped the weeds etc catching on my line....I did it as an experiment and it did work very well !

John, you don't need to use a bolt rig if using back leads. Fish usually hook themselves anyway if your legering. The reason i've used them on still waters is if using two rods I don't want a fish getting wrapped up in my other set up as I bring it in.

I have used one on the rivers in the past when the river was up and had a lot of weeds etc coming down. Keeping the line pinned down stopped the weeds etc catching on my line....I did it as an experiment and it did work very well !

I hadn't thought of avoiding debris coming down in the current Ian, but even then, surely it must still depend on the contours of the bed of the river/lake?

As for fish usually hooking themselves when legering, I think it depends on the fish, and the conditions. Carp, and Barbel, yes most of the time, but I've had some very delicate bites from most other fish. Even some Barbel bites have barely moved the rod tip, and if I hadn't been touch legering, I wouldn't have seen the bite.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

GOZZER, Gozzer, gozzer,

You well know the purpose of back leads. They are a part of the journey through your angling purse.

Hooks, leads, rig and baiting tools, hooklinks, mainlines, bait, mounting and presentation, swivels, links, clips, hooklink sleeves, lead clips, lead attachments, leaders, leadcore, anti-tangle tubing, tubing, beads, pva,

I'm tired of thinking now. I'd say I'm not half through the list of just terminal kit. Rods, reels, wearing apparel, publications

Here's a little game I just invented, I say it takes at least 10,500 items to catch a fish. What say you?

Phone

Edited by Phone

GOZZER, Gozzer, gozzer,

You well know the purpose of back leads. They are a part of the journey through your angling purse.

Hooks, leads, rig and baiting tools, hooklinks, mainlines, bait, mounting and presentation, swivels, links, clips, hooklink sleeves, lead clips, lead attachments, leaders, leadcore, anti-tangle tubing, tubing, beads, pva,

I'm tired of thinking now. I'd say I'm not half through the list of just terminal kit. Rods, reels, wearing apparel, publications

Here's a little game I just invented, I say it takes at least 10,500 items to catch a fish. What say you?

Phone

Now, now Phone, I thought I was the big cynic on here.

I agree that most stuff is not necessary to catch fish, but there are some items that improve your chances. The trouble is that when something succeeds, it then becomes the latest 'must have' thing. This is often with scant regard to the actual original intended use of it. I've often repeated on here the advice given to me by my father, 'listen to everything people have to say about angling, then decide if it's valid, and can be used, or adapted, to suit your fishing, if not, then disregard it.' I will add a rider to that though, 'keep it in mind because you might find yourself in a situation where you can use it'.

I think back leads come into this category in that they have a purpose, but are often used when they are not needed, and over complicate a rig. Ian's situation about avoiding debris coming down a river is one case where I can see a benefit, but IMO, it has to be in the right situation, as I mentioned earlier. I've watch a few youtube videos, and most are about fishing stillwaters, but few mention the nature of the bottom in deciding whether to use them or not.

I don't think they are for me, I'm old fashioned enough to try and keep my set-up, as simple as possible, and that, (to me), means as little weight on the line as I can get away with. It probably means that I have missed out on some fish, but as it says at the bottom of every post I make, there's more to angling than just catching fish.smile.png

John.

Edited by gozzer

I hadn't thought of avoiding debris coming down in the current Ian, but even then, surely it must still depend on the contours of the bed of the river/lake?

As for fish usually hooking themselves when legering, I think it depends on the fish, and the conditions. Carp, and Barbel, yes most of the time, but I've had some very delicate bites from most other fish. Even some Barbel bites have barely moved the rod tip, and if I hadn't been touch legering, I wouldn't have seen the bite.

John.

John,

Even if the bed of the water is up and down the line will still follow most of the contours and stay low to the bed.

I have used them on the river but only very rarely in conditions where using them gave me a huge advantage over the other anglers I was fishing with. On those occassions my friends were having a hell of a problem with debri colecting on their line and making it virtually unfishable for them.

Backleads can keep your line on the deck and out of the way as it neares your baited area and hook, and can cut down on liners and the possiblity of spooking fish etc. I know a longer hooklength can help acheive similar results but if your using a short hooklink (maybe on a bolt rig) then keeping your line on the deck can be the better option.

After spouting all that, I can honestly say I hardly ever use a backlead as I nearly alway float fish :).

• Like 1

Thanks chaps for your input. I am unlikely to need them but that has never stopped me in the past so i have ordered a few just to try. I like messin about.

John,

Even if the bed of the water is up and down the line will still follow most of the contours and stay low to the bed.

I have used them on the river but only very rarely in conditions where using them gave me a huge advantage over the other anglers I was fishing with. On those occassions my friends were having a hell of a problem with debri colecting on their line and making it virtually unfishable for them.

Backleads can keep your line on the deck and out of the way as it neares your baited area and hook, and can cut down on liners and the possiblity of spooking fish etc. I know a longer hooklength can help acheive similar results but if your using a short hooklink (maybe on a bolt rig) then keeping your line on the deck can be the better option.

After spouting all that, I can honestly say I hardly ever use a backlead as I nearly alway float fish smile.png.

If you are fishing say, 20yds out, how many back leads would you normally put on the line Ian? To get them nearer your main lead/ feeder, then you would have to lift your rod and keep the line fairly tight to allow the lead to run that far down, and unless you are using a heavy lead/feeder, and very light back leads, how would you avoid moving your bait?

I might be being a bit dim, but I struggle to get my head round using them other than fairly close in, on a pretty even bed preferably sloping away, or if on a river more or less straight downstream of the rod.

John.

John, you only need one, which you clip on your line at the rod tip and let it drop right under your rod tip.

If you take your time when tightening up you should be fine and your rig should stay put, even at range.

• Like 2

I'll keep the ones I've ordered for a special occasion but use one to try the method. I can only improve !!!!!!!