Extinction Rebellion

Ken L

A mate of mine recently cited the appearance of birds such as egrets in the UK as evidence of global warming but it turns out that one need only look as far as Wikipedia to kill that argument.

"....

There has been a similar argument re cattle egrets. but that can be discounted in that cattle egrets are spreading worldwide into all sorts of wetland and agricultural habitats Towards, parallel to and away from the equator.

However, the recent northward spread of the Great Egret is less easily explained except by global warming.

There is no doubt that Earth is at the moment getting warmer - the climate of Earth has been changing ever since it was formed some 4.6 billion years ago - as Chesters said, sometimes getting warmer, sometimes getting cooler. Whether man can do anything about it is another matter. A logician might suggest reducing the human population back to that of the Palaeocene, but I can't see that view becoming popular rolleyes.gif

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chesters1,

A rather gaudy rearrangement of the planet's mass isn't it? However, the planet neither gained or lost any mass by this rearrangement. For you, the AN Resident Contrarian what sacrifices are acceptable side effects of technologies that might save the Earth overall? I tend to like Ken's solution - seven billion seems to be "overloading" her. Let's drop back to - say - three billion.

Our human-defined era on Earth is only around 200,000 years old. But in the past few centuries alone, we have reshaped the planet by wars, mass migrations, population pressures for development, and the burning of fossil fuels so rapidly and extensively that flora and fauna extinction rates are soaring. We should adopt some extreme measures.

Should Ken's idea be unacceptable I suggest we divvy up earth and set aside half the planet from human intrusion to protect the greatest number of life-forms. Assuming humans remain on the current course it won't take long for us to demolish our half as uninhabitable.

Phone

All,

Chesters1,

One obvious shortcoming for my plan is one I still haven't worked out. Where to place the "KEEP OUT" signs. Your concerns do not go unnoticed. Those for keeping out super-wealthy developers, corporations, resort companies, celebrities, and rogue countries with militias, as well as kings, potentates, and oligarchs. If this bio-preserve is the last pristine areas on the planet, flush with rare and native species, I can't imagine the need to protect them?

This is your assignment should you decide to accept it.

Phone

PS: I would appreciate you giving extra consideration to carp.

Edited by Phone

There has been a similar argument re cattle egrets. but that can be discounted in that cattle egrets are spreading worldwide into all sorts of wetland and agricultural habitats Towards, parallel to and away from the equator.

However, the recent northward spread of the Great Egret is less easily explained except by global warming.

There is no doubt that Earth is at the moment getting warmer - the climate of Earth has been changing ever since it was formed some 4.6 billion years ago - as Chesters said, sometimes getting warmer, sometimes getting cooler. Whether man can do anything about it is another matter. A logician might suggest reducing the human population back to that of the Palaeocene, but I can't see that view becoming popular rolleyes.gif

As ever, one must be wary of confusing correlation with causation.

The Earth has only warmed by a fraction of a degree and while I have no idea whether there are fossil records relating to cattle egrets, my first question would relate to changing land usage. A lot of northern hemisphere temperate and cool temperate forests have been cleared in the last couple of millennia to create pasture for large bovines.

There could be a clue in the name of the bird in question somewhere....

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Reducing the Human population?? - It's called WAR. seems a popular enough solution these days!!

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Don't forget War's mates, pestilence, Famine and the Christ.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

As ever, one must be wary of confusing correlation with causation.

The Earth has only warmed by a fraction of a degree and while I have no idea whether there are fossil records relating to cattle egrets, my first question would relate to changing land usage. A lot of northern hemisphere temperate and cool temperate forests have been cleared in the last couple of millennia to create pasture for large bovines.

There could be a clue in the name of the bird in question somewhere....

That is exactly what I was implying in my reference to "agriculture"

but the northward spread of the Great Egret is less easily explained. Its first breeding recorded in the UK was about 2012, and there have been several instances since, There may well be factors involved other than temperature change, but so far nothing credible has been suggested

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Chesters1,

A rather gaudy rearrangement of the planet's mass isn't it? However, the planet neither gained or lost any mass by this rearrangement. For you, the

AN Resident Contrarian

what sacrifices are acceptable side effects of technologies that might save the Earth overall? I tend to like Ken's solution - seven billion seems to be "overloading" her. Let's drop back to - say - three billion.

Our human-defined era on Earth is only around 200,000 years old. But in the past few centuries alone, we have reshaped the planet by wars, mass migrations, population pressures for development, and the burning of fossil fuels so rapidly and extensively that flora and fauna extinction rates are soaring. We should adopt some extreme measures.

Should Ken's idea be unacceptable I suggest we divvy up earth and set aside half the planet from human intrusion to protect the greatest number of life-forms. Assuming humans remain on the current course it won't take long for us to demolish our half as uninhabitable.

Phone

No the mass of oil is less than the mass of what it can be made from it ,take expanded polystyrene and heat it until it loses the air its mass is far smaller .(yes i know its not made from oil cory)

As for humans in england we have footprints almost a million years old ,just because yanks weren't about doesn't mean humans didnt exist lol

As to extinction theres far more dead species than are are alive by several billion times ,natures been wiping out stuff since life forms dragged themselves out of puddles and they were the top of the survivors in that puddle!

As for divvying up the earth ,had our victorian ancestors when they had the big guns removed from the planet all our foes (like we did with the tasmans and others did in the west indies area) lots of problems we have now wouldnt exist ,to late now but i suspect unscrupulous government scientists from many countries are looking for genes specific to their enamies deadly viruses could kill

As for uninhabitable humans live in a -40 to a +40 slot we are pretty indistructable which make the problem worse ,we could thin out the non productive species (especialy monkeys and apes what use are they? And elephants need to go they produce nothing legal!) But i think man will kill himself using his own brain long before we run out of food ,you know gene fiddling will be our undoing you have been warned lol

PS the quicker we use up oil the quicker mankind will settle back to a 'normal' population and your 3 billion would be highly optimistic upper figure indeed

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

That is exactly what I was implying in my reference to "agriculture"

but the northward spread of the Great Egret is less easily explained. Its first breeding recorded in the UK was about 2012, and there have been several instances since, There may well be factors involved other than temperature change, but so far nothing credible has been suggested

My mistake. That is what happens when you post after a day at work - like now.

Those naughty protestors are ignoring the ban on their antics.

If only the man in charge of maintaining law and order in the city had a tool to persuade them to stop being such silly Billy's.

Edited by Ken L